Dogs - How Do You Transport Yours?

Hi!

We’re thinking of getting a t6 kombi, and I was hoping for some advice. We’ve got 2 big greyhounds and 2 kids. We just got back from a holiday and getting everything in our s-max was impossible, despite enormous roof box. Is there a configuration that would work to get the dogs secure in the back and have lots of rooom for storage for holiday packing etc? Maybe 2 dog cages is the best way to go, but since I know little about t6 vans I thought I’d ask in here

thanks

Matt

Hi, I’ve just placed an order for a t6.1 swb to be converted at Cambridge Campers.
I have 2 Choc labs, how do people carry their dogs safely? I’m considering soft crates.

Welcome. I'm down the road near Huntingdon.

Don't know about your dogs.

Welcome, I’m also in Peterborough and have my new T6 nearing completion with Cambridge Campers. I’m hopeful to have it in approx 3 weeks and can’t wait! We have a small dog and whilst we have a crate I also asked them to install something that we could attach his travel harness to which they said wouldn’t be a problem and was something that they have done many times before so probably worth having a chat with Paul.
Hi, I’ve just placed an order for a t6.1 swb to be converted at Cambridge Campers.
I have 2 Choc labs, how do people carry their dogs safely? I’m considering soft crates.

All the best on your new addition in 3 weeks time. Paul mentioned about the additional securing points for the dog leads. I’ll def go for that.
I did a quick search on amazon today and found a large soft dog crate. I could secure it to the additional securing points.

Welcome, I’m also in Peterborough and have my new T6 nearing completion with Cambridge Campers. I’m hopeful to have it in approx 3 weeks and can’t wait! We have a small dog and whilst we have a crate I also asked them to install something that we could attach his travel harness to which they said wouldn’t be a problem and was something that they have done many times before so probably worth having a chat with Paul.

I’m popping over to see them tomorrow morning so I’ll mention the additional securing points.
Hoping to get the build right from day one by spending many visits

my dog lays behind the passenger seat, i installed an eyelet that his harness clips to on a short tether. i actually installed 2 however generally only use the one on the right...oh, the TV is stored elsewhere when travelling!

hoop.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Matt. Hope I'm not too late with this reply. We have seven dogs, six Pembroke Corgis and a Lancashire Heeler. They can fit in the back of our SWB T6 factory Kombi with the second row of seats in place. Yes the Corgis are not as long as the Greyhounds but I can get six 60cmx 40cm crates in the back without removing the seats. I swapped a Toyota Landcruiser for the T6, my solution with the LC was to build a platform (similar to the Infinity beds). The dogs crates went on top and the luggage etc underneath.
It might be worth you looking at crates on top of some form of platform. The crates are a safe transport option for the dogs, they allow you to open the doors and keep the dogs inside whilst you do your stuff. Some friends of ours had their camper rear ended and destroyed, the dogs they had in crates survived whilst the "loose dogs" escaped and were killed on the motorway.

Hope that made sense. The T6 is proving to be ideal for the job.

All the Best

Dave

I've got 4 whippets what I done was carpet back boxed in wheel arches then panel wood hight of the seats then that's enough room bitts bobs behind seats ...? Then bought double length baby gate and put that in back and my 4 bitches go there together on old quilt cover we had. They safe and like it and no problems when getting them out either...

Hi all,

Our "pup" is 8 months old now and with lock down lifting we're thinking about heading out and about in the van a bit more. To do long drives he needs to be near a window to get his head out every so often so sitting window side on the double front seat seems to work best. The issue we find is he can't really get comfy. He's 42kg already and only going to grow more. Was thinking some sort of seat extention to go in front of the window side of the seat would give him a bit more room.

Has anyone seen anything like this or am I going to have to knock something up myself?

Photo attached of Dennis in the back of a Ford fiesta to give you an idea of what we're dealing with here. This was a few months back when he was about 35kg as well.

Cheers

20200425_104703.jpg

My girl is in a crate in the back. I used to transport her just in the boot space of my estate car but then I read about an accident where there were 4 dogs in the vehicle. 2 in crates, 2 not. All four survived the accident unharmed, however the two that were not crated escaped and got killed on the motorway. She’s been in a crate ever since and to be fair she’s very comfortable in it.

My girl is in a crate in the back. I used to transport her just in the boot space of my estate car but then I read about an accident where there were 4 dogs in the vehicle. 2 in crates, 2 not. All four survived the accident unharmed, however the two that were not crated escaped and got killed on the motorway. She’s been in a crate ever since and to be fair she’s very comfortable in it.
Hi That was probably my post based on what happened to our friends in their camper. We carry seven corgis all in crates. The dogs love the journey and queue up at the back of the van to get into their crates. It has become a ritual. For us it's the safest and most secure way to travel with a pack of lively canines. I'm thinking of making a platform to put the crates on (a bit like a bed frame) which will allow me store things underneath.

Back