Disabling the Stop Start with VCDS

Tony Smith

CSS Ltd.
VIP Member
T6 Pro
has any one found the majic answer to disable the Stop Start function on a 2018 T6

TDi 20 ltr 204 DSG

I am also desperate to get rid of it. It is useless and going to cost some people who let it operate hundreds in the future on batteries, starters and twin mass flywheels.
I have VCDS and also just set up VCP but it was not easy to use so I keep looking here for some help.

PS mine is also a 204 DSG 4Motion and it drinks fuel compared to my old 2.5L 130 T5. I have had T4, T5 and now this T6 but this one is my last as it is shockingly poor value for money.

I also want to disable the re-gen braking in Bluemotion (increased overrun charging) as it is increasing the fan speed on the heating and AC system when I coast or brake. I monitored the voltage and it goes from 12.2v to 14.9v on overrun/braking.

I have a on/off button & can switch it off anytime before driving. it is not the same but

I am also desperate to get rid of it. It is useless and going to cost some people who let it operate hundreds in the future on batteries, starters and twin mass flywheels.
I have VCDS and also just set up VCP but it was not easy to use so I keep looking here for some help.

PS mine is also a 204 DSG 4Motion and it drinks fuel compared to my old 2.5L 130 T5. I have had T4, T5 and now this T6 but this one is my last as it is shockingly poor value for money.
There is definitely something wrong there, mine is only a 150DSG but I'm averaging 36% better fuel economy than my old 130 2.5L T5!
Don't have a problem with stop/start though, I've had it on every other vehicle I've had for the last 8 yrs without any issues. There have always been scare stories like this, about how each new development is going to cause huge problems in years to come and they never come to anything, don't sweat it.

Why do you find it so annoying? Once I got used to it I think it is a great idea. What is the point in sitting at traffic lights with the engine idling?

The battery is AGM and so designed for the 'cycling' involved in stop start. The technology has been around on cars for some time now, the manufacturers must be satisfied that starters, batteries, turbos etc are up to it as they are prepared to cover it all under warranty. It isn't all that great for an engine to have it idling for any length of time anyway.

There is a way to code this out (Stop-Start )as there is also a way to code out this Add blue as well. I am just waiting to see what it is exactly.

I will respond when I hear some thing in a week or so.

with the cars there's a little 2 pin plug on the battery on next to,

unplug this and it forces the car not to go into start/stop mode as it cannot measure the battery voltage

hope your t6 is the same?+

with the cars there's a little 2 pin plug on the battery on next to,

unplug this and it forces the car not to go into start/stop mode as it cannot measure the battery voltage

hope your t6 is the same?+
haha of course there is, but don't come moaning when your battery is flat... :):confused:

I await any more info you have Tony, thanks. Also if you find a way of stopping the re-gen charging. I don't like hearing the AC fan speed going up every time you lift off the accelerator and back down when you press the accelerator again. The voltage goes from 12v to 15v.

However I was so fed up with it I fitted a nice little memory device bought on eBay for £28.99. See item 322352078637 by seller idegencris.
You connect it to the back of the switch. It is only three wires and he even confirmed the method for removal of the switch and the wiring. Which ever position you decide to leave it in, it will remember that for the next start so you can have it as normal stop/starting or if you turn it off it will do that 4 seconds after the next time you turn the ignition on.
The radio trim needs to be removed in order to push stop/start switch out. The switch comes out easily but the radio trim was tight but I can advise where the catches/lugs are so you know where to pull it. I then pulled to harness out through the opening left at the side of the radio to work on it. I backed the three wires out of the plug as that way I could finish it off with heat shrink and then push the pins back in. I do tried to add a picture of it and the picture the seller gave me explaining the switch removal. He also told me the wires are connected as such (I did confirm and luckily they are all on one side of the connector).

(Module -- Car)
BLUE -- Brown/Black (signal)
RED -- Black (acc/ignition)
BROWN -- Brown (Gnd)

The finish off this little device is absolutely brilliant.

DSC_0553a.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Oh, one other thing for all those Stop Start fans please read the article by Autocar (link provided below or just go to Autocar and search for it).
Stop-Start Technology: Is it bad for my engine?

I intend to keep this van for a few years and probably out of my 5 year factory warranty. I kept my old 2003 T5 right up to this year.
PS Just for info I am a retired engineer from Jaguar Land Rover Power Train development and as far as I am concerned stop start is the work of the devil.

Interesting read, Stop start drives me nuts and agree it's the work of the dark arts, I've trained the family quite well who ever rides shotgun is required to switch it off for me, could I ask a favor with your power train experience could you listen the the recording I've posted in the warranty section, I'm trying to find the source of the mystery noise my T6 makes on tick over,

I await any more info you have Tony, thanks. Also if you find a way of stopping the re-gen charging. I don't like hearing the AC fan speed going up every time you lift off the accelerator and back down when you press the accelerator again. The voltage goes from 12v to 15v.

However I was so fed up with it I fitted a nice little memory device bought on eBay for £28.99. See item 322352078637 by seller idegencris.
You connect it to the back of the switch. It is only three wires and he even confirmed the method for removal of the switch and the wiring. Which ever position you decide to leave it in, it will remember that for the next start so you can have it as normal stop/starting or if you turn it off it will do that 4 seconds after the next time you turn the ignition on.
The radio trim needs to be removed in order to push stop/start switch out. The switch comes out easily but the radio trim was tight but I can advise where the catches/lugs are so you know where to pull it. I then pulled to harness out through the opening left at the side of the radio to work on it. I backed the three wires out of the plug as that way I could finish it off with heat shrink and then push the pins back in. I do tried to add a picture of it and the picture the seller gave me explaining the switch removal. He also told me the wires are connected as such (I did confirm and luckily they are all on one side of the connector).

(Module -- Car)
BLUE -- Brown/Black (signal)
RED -- Black (acc/ignition)
BROWN -- Brown (Gnd)

The finish off this little device is absolutely brilliant.

View attachment 14279 View attachment 14280
I fitted one of these today and it works a treat ( thanks @gembleto for the colour codes, they were not supplied with mine!). It works a treat, as I always forget to turn it off until it cuts out!

Reactions: mmi
I fitted one of these today and it works a treat ( thanks @gembleto for the colour codes, they were not supplied with mine!). It works a treat, as I always forget to turn it off until it cuts out!
I installed one, too. Works as advertized - remembers my selection. Thanks @gembleto for the hint and comprehensive instructions, too.

Definitely challenges the extra dust seals.

PS. Quite amazed with delivery speed - the thingy was in my mailbox 54 hours after my order. Average speed of 34 km/h.

Back