Disabling the Stop Start with VCDS

Not sure why everyone is against stop start.
It won't cause any reliability issues. The engine is fully warm so starting it takes one crank which isn't a drain on the battery. Flywheel wear? More than the diesel engine turbo kicking in the torque?

Don't worry about it. I love mine.

I await any more info you have Tony, thanks. Also if you find a way of stopping the re-gen charging. I don't like hearing the AC fan speed going up every time you lift off the accelerator and back down when you press the accelerator again. The voltage goes from 12v to 15v.

However I was so fed up with it I fitted a nice little memory device bought on eBay for £28.99. See item 322352078637 by seller idegencris.
You connect it to the back of the switch. It is only three wires and he even confirmed the method for removal of the switch and the wiring. Which ever position you decide to leave it in, it will remember that for the next start so you can have it as normal stop/starting or if you turn it off it will do that 4 seconds after the next time you turn the ignition on.
The radio trim needs to be removed in order to push stop/start switch out. The switch comes out easily but the radio trim was tight but I can advise where the catches/lugs are so you know where to pull it. I then pulled to harness out through the opening left at the side of the radio to work on it. I backed the three wires out of the plug as that way I could finish it off with heat shrink and then push the pins back in. I do tried to add a picture of it and the picture the seller gave me explaining the switch removal. He also told me the wires are connected as such (I did confirm and luckily they are all on one side of the connector).

(Module -- Car)
BLUE -- Brown/Black (signal)
RED -- Black (acc/ignition)
BROWN -- Brown (Gnd)

The finish off this little device is absolutely brilliant.

View attachment 14279 View attachment 14280

Evening all, i bought one of these devices, but i can't get it to work. My wiring to the start stop switch block seems to be different to the above example- it has two black wires to chose from. I've tried both alternatives, but no joy. I've used scotch connectors so theres no harm done (other than i could have buggered up the device). Has anyone else successfully wired one up like mine ? tia

I have been unable to get my new version of Elsawin displaying wiring diagrams so I can confirm what you have. I I was you I would disconnect from the switch and then test the wires yourself with a DVM. One should be a switched live, another should be earth and another is the signal from the switch that momentarily goes positive when the button is pressed. Also did you select the Memory Plus or Memory + version of the module and there are 4 options you can buy. I found the seller to be very helpful so email him as well as he clearly does have the wiring diagrams as he sent me wiring instruction. Tell him what vehicle it is for and he should be able to help.

One other thing I forgot to mention is to look very closely around the wires as there may be a coloured strip hidden behind.

It won't cause any reliability issues. The engine is fully warm so starting it takes one crank which isn't a drain on the battery. Flywheel wear? More than the diesel engine turbo kicking in the torque?

Not really an issue for me because it rarely works! If the fan is on 1, it doesn't work at all.....in fact, I operate stop/start using my fan control!!!:unsure:

Do you mean fan on with AC as AC on will be one of the prohibiting conditions.
I would expect low battery voltage, high electrical load, low or high coolant temp, low or high ambient temp and AC to be conditions that need to be satisfied but heater fan on speed 1 shouldn't create a high electrical load and on it's own so I can't understand why it would disable Auto Stop/Start.

Before I fitted the memory module my Auto Stop/Start would operate within 2 minutes of starting the engine at ambient below 20C. driving off my short drive to the end of road (about 200m) and before I have even come to a complete standstill, looking to see if clear to go the engine is switched off. I was lead Project engineer on the Jaguar Land Rover Supercharger and stopping the engine like that is nothing short of ridiculous. If left switched on it would operate very frequently/many times per trip.

I have never looked back after fitting this memory module.
I now hope they come up with a revision/re-flash for DPF Re-Gen as that is a menace. I wouldn't want to disable it but it keeps starting and unable to complete on short trips so I would say entry conditions for starting the process are too slack.

Where do you find the electrical diagrams or does anyone know why Current Flow won't display in my Elsawin. I have installed SVG view.

Where do you find the electrical diagrams or does anyone know why Current Flow won't display in my Elsawin. I have installed SVG view.
The wiring diagrams are in the Downloads section..

Not strictly true... I have just had a new starter motor in a 2015 Mercedes E class with 22k on it - death by stop start. Thankfully all warranty repair.

Hi, picking up this thread again. Interesting read. I too have had nothing but issues with my stop start to the point where I'm adamant it's over sensitive. I've been trolling the forum trying to see if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of it, mine cuts out when approaching traffic lights before I've even come to a full stop which makes the van jolt. It also affects my mpg as soon as it starts coming into play. Surely they shouldn't initiate until you've at least been stationary for a short duration? The amount of times I approach traffic build up or a junction where you don't really need to stop just slow right down to assess the road and then it cuts out is unreal. I think purchasing one of those modules is in order to put my issue to bed. Just can't for the life of me understand why stop start has taken hold as much as it has in the car industry? No doubt it'll end up being the worst thing in the world when the government decide it's bad for the environment like diesels haha

The Start/Stop debate will go on for ever.
My 2pence worth is they are fine in a manual, and I never switched mine off in my previous manual van, but in Auto, they are positively dangerous in modern traffic, and often too slow to react, get confused easily, and a general nuisance. It's now just an automatic part of starting my van, I start it up, and just lean over and switch off the Start/Stop, if one of my daughters haven't already.

Hi, picking up this thread again. Interesting read. I too have had nothing but issues with my stop start to the point where I'm adamant it's over sensitive. I've been trolling the forum trying to see if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of it, mine cuts out when approaching traffic lights before I've even come to a full stop which makes the van jolt. It also affects my mpg as soon as it starts coming into play. Surely they shouldn't initiate until you've at least been stationary for a short duration? The amount of times I approach traffic build up or a junction where you don't really need to stop just slow right down to assess the road and then it cuts out is unreal. I think purchasing one of those modules is in order to put my issue to bed. Just can't for the life of me understand why stop start has taken hold as much as it has in the car industry? No doubt it'll end up being the worst thing in the world when the government decide it's bad for the environment like diesels haha

My Touareg does this too, never got to the bottom of it and it’s now 2nd nature to press the button. Tempted to do this mod on my T6 though as the button is much further away.

My Touareg does this too, never got to the bottom of it and it’s now 2nd nature to press the button. Tempted to do this mod on my T6 though as the button is much further away.
You can program it on the Touareg to remember its last mode.

Regarding the device, they work well on the T6, keeping the option to activate stop start if you are in a prolonged queue. I think the position of the switch doesent help. We have an Audi with the same engine and stop start (no ad blue though..) and it doesent seem as inconvenient to operate the switch, as its near the gear lever.

Just to put it out there again if anyone around the Plymouth area wants this disabled via software I can do it for you (for free) and will be at Bala/Camperjam/busfest etc this year and can do it there also

Back