Stop/Start error after pressing the button !

ahobden

Hi all,

I’m after some advice if possible please, I’ve a 2016 T6 Startline 130K miles, has been running like a dream, start / stop working with no issues. Sat at some traffic lights the other day with the engine running, I pressed the start/stop disable button - I was fiddling, I didn’t know what this button did. It went orange and I immediately got a start / stop error on the dashboard, pressed it to turn it off a the error went away. I thought nothing more of it.

I went to start my van this morning and the engine turned once and then stopped moving, start / stop error appeared on the dashboard. Retiring to start , everything worked fine apart from the start / stop error appearing again.

Im assuming the issue is related to me pressing the switch? I tested the battery and its showing 12.9V so I really have no idea where to go from here.

Does anyone have any potential suggestions please? Many thanks for your help.

Nah, unfortunately not.

Error start stop or Error stop start,
Sadly can’t help you then. Will watch cos it sounds like we’ve got v similar vans in terms of model and age etc. hope you find an answer.

Have you got access to VCDS?

No idea what VCDS is I’m guessing a code reader?

Apparently a common issue is a corroded or broken LIN wire. I’m going to investigate further and see what I can find

VCDS is a bit more than a code reader it's as close to the dealer diagnostic software as you can get third party:

Your van is deciding not to use start stop. The ECUs will tell you broadly why if you ask them. Diagnosing just from physical symptoms is hard and may lead you to replacing more parts than needed.

Even if you don't want to invest in it yourself there are folks on the forum who have it and can help, look for the VCDS User tag. Or the basic £35 Carista will read most codes to get a diagnosis started.

Fixing a modern vehicle without a code reader is much like a surgeon trying to work without x-rays and ultrasound, a big bit of the picture is missing.

Reactions: mmi
Hi all,

I’m after some advice if possible please, I’ve a 2016 T6 Startline 130K miles, has been running like a dream, start / stop working with no issues. Sat at some traffic lights the other day with the engine running, I pressed the start/stop disable button - I was fiddling, I didn’t know what this button did. It went orange and I immediately got a start / stop error on the dashboard, pressed it to turn it off a the error went away. I thought nothing more of it.

I went to start my van this morning and the engine turned once and then stopped moving, start / stop error appeared on the dashboard. Retiring to start , everything worked fine apart from the start / stop error appearing again.

Im assuming the issue is related to me pressing the switch? I tested the battery and its showing 12.9V so I really have no idea where to go from here.

Does anyone have any potential suggestions please? Many thanks for your help.
I’d give the starter battery a full charge and try pressing it again. These vans do weird things with a battery that’s not 80% charged.
And if it’s not your daily-driver, keep it on a trickle charger.

Battery on charge now. Hopefully that will solve things. If not apparently the LIN wire is prone to corrosion. That’s tomorrow’s job !

Thanks all for your help. Tried charging the battery, but that didn’t resolve the issue. Had a bit of a visual inspection this morning and found a dodgy looking LIN cable as per a video on this forum. Will have to borrow a jack and axle stands so I can get underneath properly and solder in a new piece of cable. Hopefully that will solve the issue .IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

Be aware that soldering can be problematic if a wire is under tension or vibration. Generally you might be better off with a crimp connection.

Either way endeavour to use something like glued heatshrink to both protect the joint from corrosion but also to mechanically support it and transfer any strain on to the insulation rather than the conductor and joint.

I’m replacing it next week. Found someone with a couple of stands and a workshop I can borrow ! I’ll report back

It does, although it sometimes takes 2 or 3 turns of the key. Almost like having a flattish battery. The error and the starting issues seemed to coincide.

Thanks all for your help. Tried charging the battery, but that didn’t resolve the issue. Had a bit of a visual inspection this morning and found a dodgy looking LIN cable as per a video on this forum. Will have to borrow a jack and axle stands so I can get underneath properly and solder in a new piece of cable. Hopefully that will solve the issue .View attachment 228657

View attachment 228658
Do you have an engine undertray for protection ?

Got the van jacked up, touched the LIN wire, it snapped, green corrosion on the joints. Cut the wire back and soldered in a new section. Solder joints covered by heat shrink wrap. Error has vanished and stop start works a treat :) . 10 min job with the right tools and the van in the air. I’ll be looking to pick up an under tray next. Also started with no issues

IMG_3058.jpeg

Back