Diesel - Normal Or Premium

Anyone with a modern Diesel engine use premium diesel in ur vehicle, yes it might cost a little more at the pump but trust me it's going to save you a huge amount in the long run.

Anyone with a modern Diesel engine use premium diesel in ur vehicle, yes it might cost a little more at the pump but trust me it's going to save you a huge amount in the long run.

All I use!.. some say it is too lean for vans but??.

Asda fuel all the way ha
Hang on a mo @PukkaT6......what about your discussion with the tanker driver? Anyhow, right now I'm in Perth....the Australian one btw :p.....and this is the land of the v8! The fuel is cheap....roughly the same in Aussie dollars, but relatively speaking, cheap....if that makes sense? Back on topic though, I prefer to use premium petrol/diesel AND an additive.....but it's each to their own. It makes me feel better and it's helped me on resale when I've sold to a private buyer. It's an emotive subject.....really not bothered whether anyone agrees or disagrees 'cos like I say, it makes me feel better and I'm not in a position to provide scientific evidence. We all just do what we think is right for us.....but I will say this.....and we seem to be bandying words like "fact" around on here...so here goes.....my sister in law drives a newish golf diesel....she does short, commuter type driving. It ran like a dog....several visits to vw.....they tell her it's "all kool an' the gang, do one sweet heart!"......now her partner is the kind of guy who'll drive 10 miles out of his way to save a penny a litre....he could talk a glass eye to sleep about fuel economy....if anyone here has insomnia problems, I'll get you his phone number.....and you must promise to remove your shoe laces and lock away any sharp knives.....anyhow, I merely suggest to sister in law she just tries a tank full of premium diesel...."it's worth a shot, right?" Well, after he's regained consciousness, got off the floor and regained the power of speech, he tells me I've money to burn and I'm talking out of my Gary Glitter....I knew it was coming so I just laughed. Sister in law thinks her partner's a knob and tends to roll her eyes at me (I think she sometimes licks her lips too, but not 100% certain ?) when he speaks, so she say's "okay big stud muffin (maybe didn't use those exact words?), I'll give it a go!" Partner goes a funny colour and hits the deck again! A week later, she tells me "took your advice big boy and the golf is running fine!" I dunno gents....you tell me? Was it:
A) really running fine?
B) she just has the hots for me?
C) I'm deluded and need to get out more?
Oh, did I tell you, I'm in Perth, Australia.....the petrol and diesel is cheap and the sun is shining! :thumbsup:

I've not read all the thread, or in fact PukkaT6's conversation with a Tanker driver. How ever I can say in the group of people I ride with (motorcycles btw) is a tanker driver. He tells us if you but standard fuel (not the "super" stuff) all the tankers no matter what is marked on the station fill up from the same hoses at the refinery place. ie you get the same fuel at Shell/BP/Asda/Tesco and the fuel is best where there is a higher turnover so its fresher and the volatiles have not evaporated as much. This I have no proof of but I don't see why he would tell a load of porkies.

I've not read all the thread, or in fact PukkaT6's conversation with a Tanker driver. How ever I can say in the group of people I ride with (motorcycles btw) is a tanker driver. He tells us if you but standard fuel (not the "super" stuff) all the tankers no matter what is marked on the station fill up from the same hoses at the refinery place. ie you get the same fuel at Shell/BP/Asda/Tesco and the fuel is best where there is a higher turnover so its fresher and the volatiles have not evaporated as much. This I have no proof of but I don't see why he would tell a load of porkies.

Its true that all the tankers for the different fuel companies fill from the same storage tanks but the additive packs used are specific to the brand so BP will fill with the same base stock as everyone else but the fuel in the tanker will be different because they have their own specific ratios of additives.

As for the bio element, the rules are that fuel supplied from a terminal has to have an average bio content over a period, so some lower volume fuels might not have any bio at all (think premium) and the volume fuels could be up to 10%.

The bio has a very high water content that if left standing for a period separates out of the fuel, I had a sample in my office that had been standing for a year and it was probably 40% clear liquid (it wasn't tested so i cant say for sure it was water but you wouldn't want it in your fuel tank)

Water is a big problem in fuel, not so much because it doesn't burn but because its where bacteria live, if these get hold you will have a real job to get rid and blocked fuel filters again and again.

Its also a fact that there are MOD sites with bulk tanks of WW2 diesel that is as good today as it was when it was fresh, modern cheap fuel would be unusable in 5 years. (probably much less)

I was in the industry on the technical side for 20 years & have heard so many times from people who should know that they would not put supermarket fuel in their own cars, we wont use it in any of our vehicles, my fuel of choice is shell (& no i didn't work for them)

You pays your money and takes your choice....

@PukkaT6....you are a tinker! It's all been kicking off on here....and you make jokes?! Obviously the sun is getting to me....did I tell you I'm in Perth, Australia?:thumbsup:

Thread resurrection, sorry. My day job is aircraft engineer, helicopters as it happens.
Just thought I would add that diesel with water in it (and it all has some) will also cause big trouble in low temperatures when the fuel goes through a filter and the suspended water freezes blocking the filter.
This will bring you to an unwanted stop. Solutions are good fuel quality and regular maintenance fuel filter changes.

In helicopters we use fuel additives to stop the suspended water freezing in the winter. Always a good idea to keep the engine running.
Personally, I use supermarket diesel or whatever is about when I need it but try never to skip oil changes and regular maintenance oil changes etc.

Thread resurrection, sorry. My day job is aircraft engineer, helicopters as it happens.
Just thought I would add that diesel with water in it (and it all has some) will also cause big trouble in low temperatures when the fuel goes through a filter and the suspended water freezes blocking the filter.
This will bring you to an unwanted stop. Solutions are good fuel quality and regular maintenance fuel filter changes.

In helicopters we use fuel additives to stop the suspended water freezing in the winter. Always a good idea to keep the engine running.
Personally, I use supermarket diesel or whatever is about when I need it but try never to skip oil changes and regular maintenance oil changes etc.

I used to travel on helicopters a lot, I’m glad to say that the pilots followed your advice and kept the engines running.
Fuel has different additives according to region, we had big problems using Maltese fuel in Arctic Norway.

I used to travel on helicopters a lot, I’m glad to say that the pilots followed your advice and kept the engines running.
Fuel has different additives according to region, we had big problems using Maltese fuel in Arctic Norway.

There are rules about which quality diesel is sold where and at what time of the year. In the UK we use summer fuel April to Oct and winter fuel (CFPP -15’C)

Some might remember we had an early winter with lots of snow and cold weather in November (around 2013 I think), there were lots of breakdowns in the UK with blocked filters due to the fact that the summer fuel hadn’t washed out of the supply chain.

I still wouldn’t use supermarket diesel in my own vehicle though.

Back