Diesel - Normal Or Premium

Hello,
I'm new on this forum. Next month I will order a new T6 panel van wich I will
transform into a camping van. I have to make a choice between a TDI and a TSI engine,
both 150 hp, Euro 6.
To make the TDI conform for Euro 6 the engine is equipped with a watercooled EGR valve,
a DPF in the exhaust, a watercooled intake-air cooler and "Adblue" additive to inject in the exhaust.
Compared with my old T4, 2,5 TDI 5 cilinder, 102 hp engine wich had none of these "trics"
I'm a bit afraid to order the new TDI.
I do 15.000 km/year and the T6 with the TSI engine is 2500 € cheaper than the TDI (in Belgium).
So now my question: has anyone good/bad experiences with the TSI 150 hp engine?
Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately we dont have TSI engines in the UK only diesel.
There was a press release a few months back about a petrol Caravelle being released here but not seen one yet and havent seen anyone on the forum mention owning a petrol so not sure if you will get any opinions :(

Thanks for your quick answer. Friday I'll do a testride with both TDI and TSI .........

I learned that supermarket diesel has a higher % of bio fuel in it, which is stickier. Apparently this could be damaging to the DPF on these engines. I have been filling up on standard non-supermarket diesel as I've never found a garage selling anything else. Regularly getting 40+ mpg, but then I drive like miss daisy with one eye always on the consumption data on the MFD.

I learned that supermarket diesel has a higher % of bio fuel in it, which is stickier. Apparently this could be damaging to the DPF on these engines. I have been filling up on standard non-supermarket diesel as I've never found a garage selling anything else. Regularly getting 40+ mpg, but then I drive like miss daisy with one eye always on the consumption data on the MFD.
I believe some are worse than others! I don't touch the stuff........not since the sand scandal a few years ago! I've heard people say "it all comes out of the same refinery"......well, yes.......it might.......but the ethanol is metered at the pump!!!!!!! For a few pence per litre "saving"......nah, I'll stick with premium diesel!

Correct upto 10% bio fuel can be added legally. I only ever use shell vpower.
I see what bio fuel does on earth moving machines at work, so will never use the stuff. Vpower costs more but would rather spend pennies than pounds.

Oh no! I am guilty of using supermarket fuel! I am going to get some Shell the weekend!

I try and use non supermarket fuel but I'm not using rip off diesel.
I can see some point in super unleaded (use it in the BM sometimes) but the diesel in nonsense.
No proof anywhere that the slightly higher cetane (petrol is octane) level makes any difference at all. Pure marketing.

Filled up with supermarket diesel for the last 20 years, never had any problems

It's hard to be sure on many of these things, I doubt many of us carry a chemical test kit with us to check the makeup of the diesel we're putting in.
I have used supermarket diesel for years and not had any problems.
However, I recently decided to change and move away from it in the hope that I will get higher quality fuel for a few pennies more and it *may* help to keep the engine clean and to reduce the build up of "snot and bogies" in the DPF.

Sand scandal - not heard of that one @mopardave ?

Yes.....a few years ago two leading supermarkets......won't name them but one started with T and the other started with M were sued for damage caused to quite a few engines due to sand or some form of silica contamination in the fuel supply chain. Certainly one, but I think both paid out. On the subject of Bio Ethanol, I was told by someone in the know, that it is metered at the pump and some supermarkets (he mentioned the one starting with an M) are more "generous" with the dosing than others. Before anyone says it, he wasn't the "bloke next door, armchair expert with a fag balanced on his bottom lip" type that we all know........this guy was "in the know"! When I've just blown 30k on the love machine, I'm not skimping.....I'll stick with the premium stuff. FWIW, I also use a quality additive and cetane booster........but I'm happy to concede that maybe that AND premium fuel is over the top......but then I'll also be giving it an oil and filter change at 12 months too........irrespective of mileage.
Just my take on things.

I'm sure they're fine.
The fuel that pretty much everyone uses for Bedford West track days is Tesco Momentum; 99 octane rating.
Yup.......agreed Polzeylad........but that IS a premium fuel.....not ya normal stuff.

Agreed Polzeylad......maybe I should have been clearer. None of the supermarkets sell premium stuff near me........never seen it in fact, so I didn't consider it as an option.........so, to be clear, I'm just referring to the standard supermarket fuel.

I believe some are worse than others! I don't touch the stuff........not since the sand scandal a few years ago! I've heard people say "it all comes out of the same refinery"......well, yes.......it might.......but the ethanol is metered at the pump!!!!!!! For a few pence per litre "saving"......nah, I'll stick with premium diesel!
It wasn't sand it was silicone, harvest fuels (the culprit) left silicone in part of the refinery blending tanks that made it into a new batch of blended fuel for the supermarkets supplier.

Last edited:
I used to work for a food company whose by product was bio ethanol which we sold to supermarket chains who addded it at a 10% ratio. I can't comment on the effect but once I knew that I wondered how widespread it is?

Back