Diesel - Normal Or Premium

Hi, newbie here (just absolutely love my T6), this fuel discussion has drifted somewhat...any point in getting back to the fuel topic??
my tenpenneth...would've loved a remap of my 150PS but didn't want unknown warranty problems
& after lots of reading, am not sure if any more could be squeezed out of this engine.
so have been monitoring performance with different fuel providers...
i do 500-1000 miles a week, 80% motorway with cruise control @ 70mph
some cheap supermarket fuels definitely have issues ...especially Mor....ons...a few times after filling up there i kept checking to see if the handbrake was on!?!
tried some Millers additive (am sure any similar would work as well) was a bit skeptical but it totally revives any cheap fuel...
2-4 mpg & has far more grunt especially at lower revs...pretty much cuts out turbo lag
also popped in a pipercross air filter...gives a tad more mpg but definitely adds more pep & you can hear the whistle of extra air being sucked in!

Filled up with supermarket diesel for the last 20 years, never had any problems

I was the same, until one day I got chatting to a tanker driver whilst waiting for him fill the tanks and he said he doesnt fill his own car up at a supermarket in answer to my question around the difference in fuel.

Our N55 petrol engine is a development of that unit and while the very similar powered current 335d is similar on power (313bhp), it has MUCH more torque and thanks to 4wd is great to 60 but get to 100 and it tails right off plus the petrol is much nicer to drive

Im not having that, the 335d will pretty much fly past 130mph and easily clock over 160 de-limited.

Not even as long as 2 months ago I had an encounter with a 135i whilst funnily enough driving a 335d x drive, didnt notice any 'tailing off' quite frankly ;)

Having driven a 140i yesterday I fully appreciate the sound, the performance and its capabilities and in my opinion its as good as cars that are double the money. Just a shame they put that silver all over it and the one I drove was an awful orange colour.

Im not having that, the 335d will pretty much fly past 130mph and easily clock over 160 de-limited.

Not even as long as 2 months ago I had an encounter with a 135i whilst funnily enough driving a 335d x drive, didnt notice any 'tailing off' quite frankly ;)

Having driven a 140i yesterday I fully appreciate the sound, the performance and its capabilities and in my opinion its as good as cars that are double the money. Just a shame they put that silver all over it and the one I drove was an awful orange colour.
Not a lot in it but the M135i IS faster

18518082_10154472506382805_4026784506215832757_o.jpg

They improved the front on the M140i but made a right hash up of the rear.

Think we'll stick the the M135i for now; they sound quite a lot better too.

Dont get me wrong those things are borderline sleepers, and can easily hold there own.

The difference between real world and stats is that its not an out and out drag race and so the huge amounts of torque mean the little 135 will never cause the the 335 an issue.

Dont get me wrong those things are borderline sleepers, and can easily hold there own.

The difference between real world and stats is that its not an out and out drag race and so the huge amounts of torque mean the little 135 will never cause the the 335 an issue.
You seem to forget, I had one for six years.
Look at the all important bhp/tonne; the M135i has far more. Then look at that est 100-200kmh time; a big difference. Then look at the lap time.

Torque is much misunderstood and is far harder to grasp than bhp. It's all about gearing and while a big torque number is useful, you cannot beat bhp

That's why an M135i with more power and less weight is faster and why an E90 M3 with even more power but even less torque (295lbs-ft) is much quicker.

My old 335d had 430lbs-ft; my M135i is considerably quicker. Why is that?

My van has the same peak torque as my M135i; it's a lot slower. I wonder why?

I could go on.
And on.
And on.

I haven't just rolled out drag times; there's a lap time, in gear times and more there. You can't argue with them.

I can say the same, owned 335d and an M3.

Yes 135i is faster but by a minimal amount, so much so that it can be easily evened up by simply having better reactions and driving style.

I fully understand torque and bhp, probably driven a wider variety of cars than most, and thats not a boast its simply the result of working for a car hire company for 3 years.

Like I said, he didnt go anywhere ;)

But it's a binary answer; the M135i IS faster.
There's no grey area there. And some non timed "race" isn't good enough.

Yes it's close but that doesn't matter. The M135i is lighter, has more power and is more agile.

I have also owned and driven cars but I rely on facts when needed.

Plus of course with a screaming petrol six and a livelier chassis and proper tyres the M135i is also much more FUN.

No diesel is truly fun whatever power and torque is has.

Go to any track and you'll probably spot an M135/140i. I would be very surprised if you see a single 335d.

and the fact is, 1 second difference is nothing so in answer to you original statement there is such a small amount of difference between the two that tailing off in the real world is hardly noticable and even on the track is minimal (based on stats you provided).

Anyway Im not here for an argument, just to give my opinion on your opinion based on my experience.

Last edited:
and the fact is, 1 second difference (FACT) is nothing (NON FACT) so in answer to you original statement there is such a small amount of difference (NON FACT) between the two that tailing off is minimal (NON FACT) and in the real world (WHAT IS THE REAL WORLD?) is hardly noticable (NON FACT) and even on the track is minimal (NON FACT) .

Facts - 1, non facts 5.5.

But it's still faster. Fact.
And has better throttle reponse and a much wider rev range. Fact.
And is lighter and more agile; fact.
And stops in a shorter distance. Fact.
And while Hockenheim Short doesn't favour more agile cars, on the old TG track, the M135i mullered some properly fast kit including the Gallardo, Exige S, RS4, E92 M3 Competition and even the AM V12 Vantage. They didn't bother with the 335d. Fact.

I race a fair bit on foot (and done a few triathlons, got a 1st on one) - the second person in doesn't tend to say "I'm as quick as the winner in the Real World" even if they were only 0.1 second behind.

So yes they are closely matched but only one is the "winner" and it drinks the correct fuel.

If someone finished the race 0.1 second behind 1st, the winner would not be banging on about how much faster they were ;) it would also not be inconcievable that the person who finished 2nd under different circumstances could finish first ;)

If someone finished the race 0.1 second behind 1st, the winner would not be banging on about how much faster they were ;) it would also not be inconcievable that the person who finished 2nd under different circumstances could finish first ;)
No but they would still be the WINNER.
I have said numerous times that they are close but one is FASTER.
You can't lose a race then say you "might be the quickest next time."
Just like I'm heavier than an 11 stone person but lighter than a 12 stoner.
And shorter than a 5'10" person but taller than a 5'7" one.

I'm sure it doesn't need an engineering degree and maths A levels (tick tick) to grasp the concept.

Last edited:
I was behind one, it tried to get away, it didnt and whilst that may be hard to grasp given the FACTS, it was the reason I made a comment about the tailing off you referred to.

Anyway we are both stubborn and with obvious preferences for both cars. Probably best if we get back on topic with something we both agree on DSG is better than manual in a T6 ;) lol

Last edited:
Still not a documented fact.
The driver might have not been aware a diesel was trying to race him, or in the wrong gear (if it was manual, they are a fair bit slower than autos), etc.

I've had a very spirited drive with an E63 AMG estate; very little in it on this occasion but properly timed, the Mercedes is quicker.

I've had a neck and neck blast with a V8 Vantage; looking at lap and acceleration times, that's actually a very even match.

A DB9 couldn't get away from my 335d once BUT I know that was because the driver was rubbish.

So while "real World" comparisons are interesting they are not facts.
Lap times and acceleration figures are.

And it's not a fact (but should be) that DSG is hateful.

Document schmocument ;)

He was the one who came flying up my arse, he knew alright ha

I can do blue lights too. But it's in an old Coastguard Defender that's slower than a slug.
You still can't accelerate anywhere near as fast as us Davey :D

Back