Diesel - Normal Or Premium

Happy to be corrected. Whatever the contaminant was, it allegedly resulted in some ruined engines.

Happy to be corrected. Whatever the contaminant was, it allegedly resulted in some ruined engines.
Yes, a multi million pound insurance clam...

All diesel fuel has to have a minimum amount of bio in it by law but the posh fuels have more cetane that aids combustion and lubrication.
You can use additives like millers to boost the cetain yourself , I have used it on all my cars.

Hello again,
yesterday I did a testride with the TDI and the TSI version of the T6, manual 6 speed gearbox.
Here are the naked technical values:
TDI : 2.0 liter, 150 hp @ 3250-3750 rpm. Torque: 340 Nm @ 1500-3000 rpm.
TSI : 2.0 liter, 150 hp @ 3750-6000 rpm. Torque: 280 Nm @ 1500-3750 rpm.

And here is my "subjective" impression:
despite of the lower torque value of the TSI, I didn't have this feeling while riding.
Once the torque is there, it stays longer. The TDI torque is higher but it is quick over the top
and you must more change the gearbox.

The TSI engine feels more lively, is very quiet inside the cabine, and you can have also a "lazy"
way of riding it in low rpm.

At the end of the testride I opened the bonnet (my profession is BMW motorcycle technician for 30 years already)
because I always want to do do the maintenance myself.
Wath you see then is not a diesel engine but an "energiefactory".
To achieve the Euro 6 regulations there is to much stuff around that you
don't need to enjoy the engine:

T6engine.jpg

From the TSI engine I don't have a picture but it has a "normal" lay-out:
cilinderhead with 4 coils and sparkplugs, double overhead camshafts, direct injection, .....

Conclusion:
I go for the TSI because:
- engine is very quiet, lively but also smoot
- engine is less complicated,
- no (watercooled) EGR valve, no DPF in the exhaust, no AdBlue to fill up
- no distribution belt but a oldstyle chaindriven distribution in oil.
- 2500 € cheaper (in Belgium)
- I do only +/- 15.000 km/year.
- dieselengines are for trucks and boats :)

Ps: I will order the H2L3 panelvan to transform it,
during winter, into a campervan.

Agreed: very interesting.
I've heard similar about the diesel and petrol 204s too.
People get very caught up with peak torque figures which diesels are "good" at but they don't realise it's all about gearing unless you're towing.

A perfect example was the old 335d vs 335i; I bought the 335d partly because it had that crazy torque figure of 428lbs-ft 286bhp) while the 306bhp 335i could only muster 295; the same as the V8 M3.
So pretty closely matched on power,both with a 3.0 bi-turbo six cylinder engine.

But the 335i was significantly quicker in a straight line, was smoother and sounded better.

Our N55 petrol engine is a development of that unit and while the very similar powered current 335d is similar on power (313bhp), it has MUCH more torque and thanks to 4wd is great to 60 but get to 100 and it tails right off plus the petrol is much nicer to drive.

Slightly waffling but basically petrol is better.

Given the choice, I'd have gone petrol.......even if there'd been a fuel consumption penalty. I've never liked diesel.

With a 4 €/100 km penalty (petrol against diesel) and a 2500 € lower price of the van,
it takes 2500/4/100= 62500 km before its a "real" penalty.
For me is this after more than 4 years.
I wil have used then 5,7 x 2 liter of oil, 2 oilfilters, 1 airfilter and 4 sparkplugs @ 10 €/piece
The TDI doesn't need sparkplugs but instead +/- 95 liters Adblue @ 1,5 €/liter.

ps: next year diesel cars without DPF may not enter Antwerp anymore without paying:
Slim naar Antwerpen

why do I have a horrible feeling vw are about to introduce a petrol engine model in the uk? I'll be pretty gutted if they do!

They have already announced a petrol is coming but only in a Caravelle atm

That doesn't bother me Pauly......I was never gonna have a caravelle. I do get the feeling that public feeling is altering towards diesels.......a scandal when you consider that the then Labour government encouraged everyone to buy diesel! I've a feeling we're gonna get thrown under a bus......B*stards!

I agree that diesel is going to be public enemy no.1, hence my Fiesta being a 3 cylinder petrol, average mpg 48, compared to its predecessor 1.6 diesel which gave me 58 mpg. My A5 cabriolet is a diesel, 42 mpg.

Yep our Subaru (2.5 4 cylinder) and M135i (3.0 6 cylinder) are both petrols. I am fairly certain our Cali will be our last diesel.

I would have had a petrol if the we had choose unfortunately vw dont see use fit to have there TSI engine in the T6 over here yet but i image it will come. I dont do enough long journeys or any traveling to get any benefit from diesel , petrol would suit me better i think + less hassle ad-blue etc !

So Weby @ Ebby will have to bring back the old petrol variant heater, which personally I wouldn't want:eek:, or we will all have to fit a small derv tank for that system on its own.:( 3 fuels on my wagon will be the song:whistle:

Hello everyone, in the mean time I ordered a T6 L2H3 with 150 ps TSI engine.
Will be delivered 6 of april.
So, it's the lwb, highroof , Indiumgrey T6 with:
- protection kit (wooden floor and side panels in the back) @ 241 €
- multi function display @ 351 €
- stronger rear suspension to transport my 210 kg BMW motorcycle on te back @ 195 €
- comfort package ( some goodies in the front cabin) @ 399 €
- turnable front seats @ 698 @
- wipers on the heated rear windows @ 192 €
- windows left an right behind the frontseats @ 498 €
- cruise control @ 327 €
- towbar @ 721 €
- extra programmable heating front and back @ 2116 € includes the second batterie
- airco (Climatic) and radio (Composition audio) package @ 1965 €
Totaal bruto price: 40737 € --> 34625 Pound,
net price (with the Brussels motorshow and discount from the dealer) 32375 € -->27520 Pound

I'm happy :)

T 6 L2H3 Indium grey.jpg

Back