Whining noise

Blasam

VIP Member
Good afternoon all,

I hope you’re all well.

Just a quick post to see if any of you have come across a problem I’m having. I’ve used the search function but to no avail.

I have an early 2017 T6 T32 204 DSG 94k that’s developed a noise between 1500 & 2000rpm. The noise is best described as if you were to blow into a bottle neck of an empty bottle, as I am sure we all did as kids.

It only happens when the engine/gearbox is under load. If I am to coast between the above rev range the noise does not occur. The moment I press the accelerator, it begins. If I accelerate hard enough so that a down shift occurs, and the rev range goes above 2000rpm, the noise is gone. This occurs at all speeds so across all the gears, though most notable at motorway speeds.

Il try and add a video later on, but if I’m honest, it’s exactly like the above description, blowing into an empty bottle to create that whine/hum.

Dual mass clutch/Flywheel?
DSG box perhaps?
Maybe turbo?

What’s tricking me is that it is only under load. Nothing at idle or when you’re coasting.

Currently driving the van until the noise presents itself alongside a bigger issue, however as I commute in it, I could really do with fixing it before it blows up and is off the road.

Thanks all,

Sam

If it sounds like an air noise - have you checked for anything that might have come loose in the air intake path?

Is it definitely not the EGR pipe?

Last edited:
What rpm does the larger turbo take over?
Definitely sounds like something in the intake tract. Off load there won't be as much boost generated which could explain why it only occurs under load.
However, I have a not dissimilar noise from my 140 which used to only occur with the AC on. It's virtually all of the time now so I am expecting something to happen soon!!

Thanks for your responses. So I’ve had my head under the bonnet, hot, cold, revs, no revs, there is no suspicious noises. Not even a hint of one, I’d think that if there was a pipe loose or leaking I’d hear it whilst standstill.

Interestingly, I could only get the noise is 6th and 7th gear yesterday. I did find something on the forum suggesting heavy 20’s messing up the bearings in the DSG box. Someone popped 18’s on and the noise disappeared.

Rather hoping I don’t need a dsg rebuild.

99.9% sure it’s not a boost/intake leak. I did think could it be the low pressure turbo.

Driving 3 hours tomorrow for the EGR to be ‘forgotten’ so hoping their live data read will show something.

Either way, it’s sounding expensive!

Afternoon all. I have a similar issue with the added fault of a sudden lack of boost occasionally which is accompanied by a noise like the turbo is jammed, quick boot of the throttle and it picks back up and goes away. Its on my 67plate dsg 204. It is a little down on power and slightly heavier on fuel. There are no warning lights on the dash.
Checked the obvious egr pipe and a quick look around but can't see or feel any leaking air or signs of blowing pipe soot.

It's making.me think it's one of the turbos, but hoping it's a leak I haven't found yet.

Afternoon all. I have a similar issue with the added fault of a sudden lack of boost occasionally which is accompanied by a noise like the turbo is jammed, quick boot of the throttle and it picks back up and goes away. Its on my 67plate dsg 204. It is a little down on power and slightly heavier on fuel. There are no warning lights on the dash.
Checked the obvious egr pipe and a quick look around but can't see or feel any leaking air or signs of blowing pipe soot.

It's making.me think it's one of the turbos, but hoping it's a leak I haven't found yet.
If you think there is a turbocharger problem I’d advise to stop driving it and get it investigated as a catastrophic failure will be very expensive in comparison.

If you think there is a turbocharger problem I’d advise to stop driving it and get it investigated as a catastrophic failure will be very expensive in comparison.
Could you put a figure on it? New turbo from VW is £2.5k plus VAT, or recondition my own from £1k plus VAT, and that’s excluding labour! It’s a £3/4k job in reality.

I can’t stop driving mine as it’s a daily. Unless it blows my hands are tied, unfortunately I can’t take time off work on a whim either.

So until it goes, I continue to save for the inevitable. Less than ideal I know, or it destroys my camper budget. At which point I’d just sell the bloody thing to recoup some of the cost and go back to lease cars. A much simpler life!

Could you put a figure on it? New turbo from VW is £2.5k plus VAT, or recondition my own from £1k plus VAT, and that’s excluding labour! It’s a £3/4k job in reality.

I can’t stop driving mine as it’s a daily. Unless it blows my hands are tied, unfortunately I can’t take time off work on a whim either.

So until it goes, I continue to save for the inevitable. Less than ideal I know, or it destroys my camper budget. At which point I’d just sell the bloody thing to recoup some of the cost and go back to lease cars. A much simpler life!
If it craps itself I think you’re looking at a bi-turbo assembly which is more than 2.5K as far as I’m aware. Dropping the sump to clean the oil pickup and purge oil drain, charge air cooler and DPF renewal.
It would be cheaper to get a taxi or hire a van.

If it craps itself I think you’re looking at a bi-turbo assembly which is more than 2.5K as far as I’m aware. Dropping the sump to clean the oil pickup and purge oil drain, charge air cooler and DPF renewal.
It would be cheaper to get a taxi or hire a van.
Just to be devils advocate, and generally be an argumentative ***! I work in London commuting from Coventry. 400 miles a week. That’s one expensive taxi!

The turbo crapping itself would certainly fix the stressful commute.

Just to be devils advocate, and generally be an argumentative ***! I work in London commuting from Coventry. 400 miles a week. That’s one expensive taxi!

The turbo crapping itself would certainly fix the stressful commute.
Turn the radio up and it’ll be fine!

Check the auxiliary belt is running in the middle of the tensioner and not rubbing on the block?

Back