Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Sorry just checking also am I right to get the Aux belt changed and what other additional tensioner belts do I ask to be changed please?:oops:

Sorry just checking also am I right to get the Aux belt changed and what other additional tensioner belts do I ask to be changed please?:oops:
Its wise to get the ribbed (aux’) belt and tensioner renewed at the same time. While this belt is off get them to check the alternator pulley action if it’s a smart alternator (Bluemotion). There shouldn’t be any additional labour as it’s being removed to replace the timing belt kit / water pump anyway.

Its wise to get the ribbed (aux’) belt and tensioner renewed at the same time. While this belt is off get them to check the alternator pulley action if it’s a smart alternator (Bluemotion). There shouldn’t be any additional labour as it’s being removed to replace the timing belt kit / water pump anyway.
Thank you so much, you guys know more than VW

does anyone have a current cost to replace Cam belt and water pump ?

it would appear VW Dealers have been given the green light to severely hike the prices recently.

Here is what the dealer is quoting for replacement: Jan 2023 :

”Price for the cambelt & water pump to be done at the same time would be £958 inc VAT”

“Just cam belt £799 inc Vat”
Update of my earlier post:

VW OEM Cam belt and water pump change: 2018 150ps

listed below are the part numbers of the OEM parts for anyone who’s interested.

completed by: VW Revolution (great Missenden) - (former VW master tech).

cost £560.16 inc Vat (vs VW dealer £958 inc vat) saving £398 !

Electronic service record updated & paper copy provided, stating VIN number and mileage.
Vat invoice & itemised bill provided, stating VIN number and mileage:

Labour:
Hrs 2.6 @ £65 Exc = £202.80 inc

VW OEM parts / prices:
Cam belt Kit: 04L198119D = £197.16 inc
Water pump: 04L12011M = £147.00 inc
Coolant: 2 litres =£13.20 inc

The above parts are available for less via OEM parts sellers

old parts returned (on request) no signs of wear on any item, original water pump no leaks.

I hope this is of use to some.

Based on the above and quoted prices from VW dealer, Labour rate for the identical works must be IRO £230 per hour !

(Possibly more if you take favourable parts pricing for VW dealers into account)

Done and dusted yesterday at Louth Volksworld, £504, they even let me use their little van to get to work and back.

5* for Louth Volksworld.
+1 on that, I bought my T6.1 from them, and found them very professional, nothing was too much trouble. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer with such good 5* reviews.

Just a reminder that @Loz (Forum administrator) and @Dellmassive have posted the official VW service schedule on this thread. The 4 year change is a UK only VWCV (the private importer to the UK) and dealer scam that goes against the official VW service schedule. They do it to save money by skipping the recommended inspections at each service, and increase the scam by changing belts which the belt manufacturer (@Loz posted the communications here) says are designed for 210,000km, as long as inspections do not indicate otherwise. Forum members from most other VW markets have posted the same, and are amazed that this scam is still being accepted by owners in the UK. You might consider it worth £811 to spend the time to read these links.

The scam originates with the private importer to the UK, but the official dealers are just as much responsible, since they claim they are acting in their customers' interest while making money by going against the Manufacturer's recommendation. They are perfectly aware of this because the VW recommendations are included in the official workshop manual.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that @Loz (Forum administrator) and @Dellmassive have posted the official VW service schedule on this thread. The 4 year change is a UK only VWCV (the private importer to the UK) and dealer scam that goes against the official VW service schedule. They do it to save money by skipping the recommended inspections at each service, and increase the scam by changing belts which the belt manufacturer (@Loz posted the communications here) says are designed for 210,000km, as long as inspections do not indicate otherwise. Forum members from most other VW markets have posted the same, and are amazed that this scam is still being accepted by owners in the UK. You might consider it worth £811 to spend the time to read these links.

The scam originates with the private importer to the UK, but the official dealers are just as much responsible, since they claim they are acting in their customers' interest while making money by going against the Manufacturer's recommendation. They are perfectly aware of this because the VW recommendations are included in the official workshop manual.
Think they just wanted a recommendation they wasn’t asking if they should or shouldn’t have it done! I appreciate how people feel on this subject but surely it’s up to us as and when we maintain are highly priced and prized possessions! It’s a guideline or recommendation only and everyone will and can have their own opinion on certain subjects the dentist recommends 6 monthly checkups but does everyone agree? Most of us have saved and spent fortunes on our vans to me spending £500-£800 on a bit of rubber that could or could not snap up at anytime is a no brainer! It’s ok spending thousands on wheels,suspension etc but no good if ain’t moving down the road

I'm currently looking at a 2016 T6 on 65,000 miles give or take, and the seller says that the cambelt hasn't been done and is willing to negotiate on price based on that. My dad is a retired mechanic and I can't decide whether he's just right or being overly cautious but he's telling me not to go near it. Is that a reasonable position to take?

I'm currently looking at a 2016 T6 on 65,000 miles give or take, and the seller says that the cambelt hasn't been done and is willing to negotiate on price based on that. My dad is a retired mechanic and I can't decide whether he's just right or being overly cautious but he's telling me not to go near it. Is that a reasonable position to take?
I think regardless of if it's needed or not it gives you an idea that the van has been run on a budget or just neglected. Why else would you not get it done

I think regardless of if it's needed or not it gives you an idea that the van has been run on a budget or just neglected. Why else would you not get it done
Probably a fair comment. Its MOTd until the end of the year so I'm skeptical that the garage won't have flagged it!

If the rest of the history is good, and the seller will negotiate the price, what`s the problem ?
If you buy it, just get it done.

Reactions: .50
He's paranoid that it could go on the way up the road. I've slept on it and I'm thinking better of it now.

The other option then is to tell the vendor that you will pay the full asking price but on condition that he has the cambelt / water pump / aux belt replaced prior to the sale and provides evidence.
That option involves no risk to you.
The vendor might refuse, in which case your search for the right T6 continues.

Back