Does a service have to be done when getting a cam belt replaced?

Jim Rey

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Someone I know told me he put his VW T5 campervan in for a cam-belt and water pump change last year. After he dropped it off, he got a phone call from the main dealer saying that to do the cam belt change, they would need to do an interim service at the same. This, despite him having that interim service that done at the same main dealer only 6 approx months before.
I'm no mechanic but I don't think this is correct YES/NO?

Thanks.... Reason I ask is, that I am going to do an oil and oil filter change myself when the weather gets a bit warmer, and planning to get main dealer to do cam-belt and water pump in autumn. Current mileage on my T6 is 16,400 miles on a 68 plate so although low mileage it is getting on for 6 years old this autumn. I know mileage for cam belt has recently been revised to 140,000kms but concerned about cam belt age...

Definitely no relationship to cam belt change and oil service Interval. Given the age of your van I would get the belt and water pump changed - preventative maintenance. Also get the auxiliary drive belt changed at the same time. These items can degrade with age as well as mileage , so it will be money well spent.

Definitely no relationship to cam belt change and oil service Interval. Given the age of your van I would get the belt and water pump changed - preventative maintenance. Also get the auxiliary drive belt changed at the same time. These items can degrade with age as well as mileage , so it will be money well spent.
Thanks for response. Was thinking about leaving it until August/Sept

Back