Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Like lemmings to the sea. It's amazing that this UK specific scam survives in spite of all the documentation from VW and the belt manufacturer.
I’ll soon be into year 7, no worries here.

I think this is a tad harsh calling my statement shocking;

We live in the UK, and as such with VW are under control of VW UK guidelines, regardless of the guidelines of the manufacturer and those of VW in mainland Europe. Surely you understand that Bognor Motors, as a responsible garage have a duty of care to advise in line with what manufacturers recommend, and if we start wrongly advising customers to ignore the guidelines of VW UK for their cambelt changes or anything else on their vehicles, and then there is an issue, it will fall at our feet for responsibility. I agreed above that it doesn't make sense, however for any warranty and for what we have seen in some cases, the changes need to be adhered to. Over the years with many manufacturers there used to be a time when the inspection of the cambelts was part of an annual service, however in some cases (Vauxhall spring to mind) , to inspect the belt properly there was so much work involved, that as you were there and already paying a labour charge you may as well replace it at the same time.

Comparing a timing belt that is changed on a time/mileage basis to brake pads and clutches that are friction parts that are changed when worn out isn't a fair comparison, especially as we have seen at the UK stated replacement interval we have seen issues with he condition of the belt or associated parts (See our BMVS thread ref the idler pulley nearly coming off - That engine would have gone bang if left much longer than when we did it) . Brake pads are inspected on every service and advised on their wear, or can be felt as they wear down by the user. Clutches can't be inspected easily, so driving feel(slipping/juddering) initially dictates when and if these are worn, and the need to inspect - Both of these cases are worn by driver input and driving habits.

For fear of repeating myself, which I'm not going to again after this comment, we as a business will advise in line with what VW UK recommend. At the end of the day its your vehicle, and ultimately you do what you want. If a customer of ours declines our advise on this or any matter during a service or inspection, we will always note it on their invoice. Its due diligence for us.
I have never proposed that you should advise your customers to ignore the non-factory VWCV UK guidelines. But if you do actually have your customers' best interest in mind, instead of just protecting yourself, why have you and other UK dealers not confronted the UK importer and asked them to go on record to explain why they are the only market that doesn't follow either the van manufacturer's nor the belt manufacturer's published criteria? Owners have tried, and been rebuffed. Could you step up and do us all a service and try to find out why?

I have never proposed that you should advise your customers to ignore the non-factory VWCV UK guidelines. But if you do actually have your customers' best interest in mind, instead of just protecting yourself, why have you and other UK dealers not confronted the UK importer and asked them to go on record to explain why they are the only market that doesn't follow either the van manufacturer's nor the belt manufacturer's published criteria? Owners have tried, and been rebuffed. Could you step up and do us all a service and try to find out why?
Because quite simply they won’t listen! They don’t listen to their own dealers let alone an independent.
You can follow your own route with your cambelt and changes , we will just advise you of the UK guidelines- you don’t need to take our advice. It really is that simple.

You can follow your own route with your cambelt and changes , we will just advise you of the UK guidelines- you don’t need to take our advice. It really is that simple.
Apparently it’s not that simple. Apparently we have to argue with others that were just happy doing some preventative maintenance on a very expensive item they own, even if it doesn’t affect us.

does anyone have a current cost to replace Cam belt and water pump ?

it would appear VW Dealers have been given the green light to severely hike the prices recently.

Here is what the dealer is quoting for replacement: Jan 2023 :

”Price for the cambelt & water pump to be done at the same time would be £958 inc VAT”

“Just cam belt £799 inc Vat”

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
does anyone have a current cost to replace Cam belt and water pump ?

it would appear VW Dealers have been given the green light to severely hike the prices recently.

Here is what the dealer is quoting for replacement: Jan 2023 :

”Price for the cambelt & water pump to be done at the same time would be £958 inc VAT”

“Just cam belt £799 inc Vat”

I couldn’t tell you because Scunthorpe VW wouldn’t answer the phone on Thursday, Friday or yesterday. I left my details with the live chat agent who was very apologetic and said someone would be right on it but nothing as of yet.

I Think I‘ll use Louth Volksworld for £502, they have a pool table in the waiting area.

I couldn’t tell you because Scunthorpe VW wouldn’t answer the phone on Thursday, Friday or yesterday. I left my details with the live chat agent who was very apologetic and said someone would be right on it but nothing as of yet.

I Think I‘ll use Louth Volksworld for £502, they have a pool table in the waiting area.
Indi near me is quoting OEM parts, free courtesy vehicle : £560 including Vat, which is more what I was expecting From a main Dealer.

I think I know where I’ll be spending my money and saving 400 sheets for the same outcome.

Am I right in thinking you can have it done at an independent as long as they use VW parts when you have an all in one plan?

Even better, if I have it inspected whilst on the continent, as per the European schedule, is it suffice for my all in one plan ?

Am I right in thinking you can have it done at an independent as long as they use VW parts when you have an all in one plan?

Even better, if I have it inspected whilst on the continent, as per the European schedule, is it suffice for my all in one plan ?
The dealer selling the all in one has to do the inspection and there is a 10day limit between the inspection and the taking out of the plan.

The dealer selling the all in one has to do the inspection and there is a 10day limit between the inspection and the taking out of the plan.
the inspection has now been scrapped, you can get the all in deal online (no qualifying inspection necessary now )

The dealer selling the all in one has to do the inspection and there is a 10day limit between the inspection and the taking out of the plan

I already have the All in one Plan and was referring to when you have to have the campbelt changed after four years…. or it invalidates the Plan.

Finally got through to VW Scunthorpe, £815.61 for cambelt and water pump.

Tried another independent too, £630 with genuine parts, £500 with non-genuine parts.

I've used Volksworld at Louth for the past 18 years and cannot fault them on quality of work, service and their prices. I'll certainly be taking my T6.1 there for all its service work, it's just a pity they cannot do warranty work as well.

Back