Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

I appreciate what you’re saying in that if you changed the belt just before a sale then the belt indeed lasted and there was no damage but equally my point still stands - you’d be a seller that (albeit using your apparent knowledge and experience - which a buyer can’t confirm) refused to accept VW UKs guidance on an important element of the engine.
I assume the thrust of your point here is that if a seller doesn't follow VW UK's guidance for changing the cambelt, then they may, also not follow VW's guidance on other things like service schedules, however, this can easily be established by looking at the service book.

The sad, and ultimate irony is, that a vehicle who's maintenence and servicing is carried out by a competent owner driver, will always be carried out to a higher standard and with more care than one taken to a main VW dealer, as you are simply passing these responsibilities onto someone else in the, often false, belief that they care about your vehicle and will treat it in the way they should.

Unfortunately I don’t have the option to delay. I would delay by a couple years if I had not bought the all in one plan but if we don’t get it changed the plan is invalid. I knew they had us by the goolies when I took it out but thought sod it for the peace of mind. And I wouldn’t sell it to any of you ‘cos we’ve got the best colour.

I too have the All-in-Plan but was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that whether you have the cambelt done is neither here nor there (unless it fails of course during the 2 years, when they won't payout for repair)

I assume the thrust of your point here is that if a seller doesn't follow VW UK's guidance for changing the cambelt, then they may, also not follow VW's guidance on other things like service schedules, however, this can easily be established by looking at the service book.

The sad, and ultimate irony is, that a vehicle who's maintenence and servicing is carried out by a competent owner driver, will always be carried out to a higher standard and with more care than one taken to a main VW dealer, as you are simply passing these responsibilities onto someone else in the, often false, belief that they care about your vehicle and will treat it in the way they should.
Your first paragraph- yes and no! As you say SH is checkable… in a way. If the book is stamped then you can see the date and mileage a service was carried out. Same for the cam belt.

With home mechanics I’d want to see receipts for oil, filters, washers etc. in a file (I’ve done this for old Beetles that let’s face it a dealer wouldn’t understand) and I’d have to accept that selling the van on and ultimately, in the event of a write off (if the book wasn’t stamped up to date) then the value of the van might be reduced in the eyes of others.

I’m fully on board with capable home mechanics - my dad always serviced his own cars, I did my old VW Beetles, and some main dealers have previously caused issues while servicing my golf due to an obvious lack of care, but it does have the chance of negatively affecting resale and insurance value.

I’m going to call it a day here though - sharing an opinion seems to upset some people.

I am honestly curious about this: there is the worldwide VW market which has one service schedule with inspections, established by the manufacturer, and then there is the tiny UK market, where the local importer has established a different schedule which does not benefit owners but brings in cash for UK dealers. I understand why UK dealers don't defend their customers (as Bognor Motors has stated on this thread that they know it's different) because they earn money with this situation, but what I don't understand is the attitude of the UK members on this forum. All of the non UK members have confirmed that they follow VW's recommendation, but of the UK members, only Loz, a founding member of this forum who has published the official VW service schedules and has contacted the belt manufacturer directly, and a couple of other forum members who have tried to pursue this with VWCV UK, only to be told that the reasons for not following the manufacturer's recommendation "are not available to be shared", have tried to take action. But the majority have not only accepted but defended the UK specific deception. I don't expect any individual owner to risk their warranty coverage, and I understand the cynicism of UK dealers taking advantage financially of the situation, while shamelessly claiming that they're defending their customers. But I am surprised by the passivity of the UK owners on this forum who, even when they have the facts thanks to this forum, prefer to not question what they are told by their dealers. It doesn't affect me, my dealer follows the VW schedule, but I am impressed that even when presented with the facts, UK owners, mechanics and dealers are more comfortable with UK specific recommendations, even though there is zero criteria for it other than financial benefit for dealers.

Note: there are a number of T6s that were delivered with faulty cam belts. VW issued a service bulletin, instead of a recall of the affected vans, and decided not to inform affected owners unless they came into an official dealer for service. The result was catastrophic failure, which could have been prevented, for some owners who were servicing their vans privately. These failures are sometimes used to justify the UK specific 4 year cam belt change while eliminating the belt inspection at every service which is standard everywhere else.

Last edited:
When I traded a car that I had serviced for about 10 years, and filled out the service log book and dated and signed each entry, tthe dealer said to me that's no problem as people who service their own vehicle and actually use it usually do a good, thorough job.
Other dealers may have a different opinion.

Reactions: .50
I am honestly curious about this: there is the worldwide VW market which has one service schedule with inspections, established by the manufacturer, and then there is the tiny UK market, where the local importer has established a different schedule which does not benefit owners but brings in cash for UK dealers. I understand why UK dealers don't defend their customers (as Bognor Motors has stated on this thread that they know it's different) because they earn money with this situation, but what I don't understand is the attitude of the UK members on this forum. All of the non UK members have confirmed that they follow VW's recommendation, but of the UK members, only Loz, a founding member of this forum who has published the official VW service schedules and has contacted the belt manufacturer directly, and a couple of other forum members who have tried to pursue this with VWCV UK, only to be told that the reasons for not following the manufacturer's recommendation "are not available to be shared", have tried to take action. But the majority have not only accepted but defended the UK specific deception. I don't expect any individual owner to risk their warranty coverage, and I understand the cynicism of UK dealers taking advantage financially of the situation, while shamelessly claiming that they're defending their customers. But I am surprised by the passivity of the UK owners on this forum who, even when they have the facts thanks to this forum, prefer to not question what they are told by their dealers. It doesn't affect me, my dealer follows the VW schedule, but I am impressed that even when presented with the facts, UK owners, mechanics and dealers are more comfortable with UK specific recommendations, even though there is zero criteria for it other than financial benefit for dealers.

Note: there are a number of T6s that were delivered with faulty cam belts. VW issued a service bulletin, instead of a recall of the affected vans, and decided not to inform affected owners unless they came into an official dealer for service. The result was catastrophic failure, which could have been prevented, for some owners who were servicing their vans privately. These failures are sometimes used to justify the UK specific 4 year cam belt change while eliminating the belt inspection at every service which is standard everywhere else.
Well said …!!

I'm coming up to the 4 year mark and have had a few quotes from local garages for cambelt & water pump at £438 & £502 (inc vat and genuine parts so won't affect extended warranty) but the nearest VW van centre is wanting £458.40 for the cambelt only or £815.62 for cambelt & water pump! What makes the water pump a £357 extra?!

also if anyone can recommend a place for cambelt & water pump in or near Grimsby I'd be grateful.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
FWIW, I paid £550 for the cam belt and water pump replacement at the VW [official] Van Centre Swindon last July but I suspect prices have gone up a bit since then. VW Service Centre Tewksebury (again official) quoted me £866 for the same job and refused to budge on it. They also gave me the impression that I had a nerve to even try to negotiate with them (they were politely told to go forth and multiply!).

I'm coming up to the 4 year mark and have had a few quotes from local garages for cambelt & water pump at £438 & £502 (inc vat and genuine parts so won't affect extended warranty) but the nearest VW van centre is wanting £458.40 for the cambelt only or £815.62 for cambelt & water pump! What makes the water pump a £357 extra?!

also if anyone can recommend a place for cambelt & water pump in or near Grimsby I'd be grateful.
Have you asked them?
The cost of coolant and pump is nowhere near £357. Vacuum filling of coolant can start while the rest is being re-assembled so minimal extra time, maybe 30 minutes.
It’s just a means of subsidising a fancy showroom and staff to provide smiles with coffee.

Have you asked them?
The cost of coolant and pump is nowhere near £357. Vacuum filling of coolant can start while the rest is being re-assembled so minimal extra time, maybe 30 minutes.
It’s just a means of subsidising a fancy showroom and staff to provide smiles with coffee.

I got the price online on the service booking tool, I'll phone them this afternoon and ask for a price.

I'm sure I've read that VW will match indi prices if the quoting garage is within a certain distance of the dealer - worth asking if they will match the price

I've just got a quote off my usual garage (independant) for Belt, pump and coolant at £450 plus VAT. Only done 27k but might just bite the bullet and do it as I hire it out and dont want to risk spoiling someones holiday sat on the hard shoulder :p

Found this on tinternet

report back your findings to help others

Also : Indi:

49201B09-4275-44B9-9E0E-5C1F458A20F5.png

I've just got a quote off my usual garage (independant) for Belt, pump and coolant at £450 plus VAT. Only done 27k but might just bite the bullet and do it as I hire it out and dont want to risk spoiling someones holiday sat on the hard shoulder :p
Considering the belts good for 150k I’m sure it wouldn’t happen

Found this on tinternet

report back your findings to help others

Also : Indi:

View attachment 184202
Like lemmings to the sea. It's amazing that this UK specific scam survives in spite of all the documentation from VW and the belt manufacturer.

Last edited:
Back