Pulley faulty after cambelt change

Ljb

Hello and I’d welcome some more advice please!

On Friday I was driving to collect my new second hand van from the dealer (t5 2015 113bhp 54,500 miles) when they phoned to cancel the appointment as they had just found that the pulley between the cambelt and water pump was faulty.

I’ve already had some great advice from the forum as originally the dealer had agreed to change the cambelt and water pump then refused to do it as according to VW it wasn’t necessary (35k since last change 4 years ago). But as it was the deal that was originally agreed and for my peace of mind I insisted and they agreed to honor the agreement.

I’ve been doing some research and see that a cambelt kit usually comes with a pulley and tensioner and I have to assume the tensioner wasn’t replaced either.

My questions are:
Would there be a likelihood of damage to any other parts with this pulley failing? The cambelt was replaced on Monday, the fault found on Friday. Should I make sure the tensioner is also replaced? (I assume yes)
Should I be concerned about this enough to consider cancelling the sale? It is making me concerned about the level of competence of the garage, but maybe the dealer told them them to do the minimum, I don’t know, just guessing - but I am extremely thankful this came to light before I bought the van.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

That’s the issue with trusting others to carry out the work.
You’ll have to trust your gut feeling. It is relatively quick to remove the timing belt cover and you should be able to see if the timing belt tensioner looks new.
Have you checked the MOT history to ensure it’s not been clocked? Pulleys and tensioners failing in between belt renewals seems unlikely.

That’s the issue with trusting others to carry out the work.
You’ll have to trust your gut feeling. It is relatively quick to remove the timing belt cover and you should be able to see if the timing belt tensioner looks new.
Have you checked the MOT history to ensure it’s not been clocked? Pulleys and tensioners failing in between belt renewals seems unlikely.
I’ve checked the MOT history and the mileage checks out. Someone else suggested the pulley may have been damaged when they changed the cambelt.

Back