Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Pretty simple really. Unless I'm wrong, belt replacement on the continent is at 5 years, UK dealers its 4. Therefore , your time and wear comment means they must affect uk vehicles quicker.....?
Belt replacement on the continent is 210,000km or 10 years. @Loz has posted documents from VW and from the belt manufacturer. Uk is the only market where the importer doesn't follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Belt replacement on the continent is 210,000km or 10 years. @Loz has posted documents from VW and from the belt manufacturer. Uk is the only market where the importer doesn't follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
Not sure I’d trust a rubber belt under tension in all temperatures for ten years! And yea there is a mileage limit but some people sit idling in traffic a lot and even choose to do so to charge batteries or keep warm.
Are VW really going to fork out for a new engine if your belt goes at 9 years 11 months and 30 days? Pretty sure they’d find a way out.
It’s a wear and tear part at the end of the day. One that has potential for catastrophic failure.
I get the difficulty between 4 and 5 years but 10 is a huge jump.

The European guidelines has no relevance on us, so really needs to be ignored this case .
This is a shocking statement, which goes against VW manufacturer recommendations with no evidence to back it up. To be clear, VW recommends inspecting the cam belt at every service, and replacing the belt at 210,000km, without time limit, unless the inspection shows that the belt should be changed earlier. The cam belt manufacturer says the design criteria is 10 years, confirmed by @Loz communicating with the factory. VWUK is a private importer, is the only market that doesn't follow the VW manufacturer's recommendation, and at the same time skips the manufacturer's recommended inspections in order to reduce costs. It's the equivalent of replacing a perfectly functioning clutch every 4 years, while skipping the manufacturer's recommended inspection which would show that the clutch plates were in perfect functioning order. Or replacing brake pads without inspecting, even though they are within manufacturer's tolerances. The inspections, which only in the UK are skipped, are recommended for a reason, and UK owners would benefit from the international reach of this forum to understand that they are being singled out for a cash cow transaction. Once again, THE UK IS THE ONLY MARKET THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE VW MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATION FOR REPLACEMENT BASED ON INSPECTIONS. The 4 year change without inspection comes from the private UK importer, and contradicts the manufacturer's recommendation.

Members of this forum who have asked VWCM UK why their service schedule for the cam belt contradicts the VW manufacturer's recommendation have been answered in writing that "that information is not available to be shared."

Last edited:
Not sure I’d trust a rubber belt under tension in all temperatures for ten years! And yea there is a mileage limit but some people sit idling in traffic a lot and even choose to do so to charge batteries or keep warm.
Are VW really going to fork out for a new engine if your belt goes at 9 years 11 months and 30 days? Pretty sure they’d find a way out.
It’s a wear and tear part at the end of the day. One that has potential for catastrophic failure.
I get the difficulty between 4 and 5 years but 10 is a huge jump.
That's why VW recommends a belt inspection at every service, and replacement if indicated. UK owners don't get the inspection, just replacement whether it is needed or not.

After buying my van a few years ago I asked several dealers and vw approved independents - all said the same 210,000 kms regardless of age, belt checked at each service .

I'm in CH btw

This is a shocking statement, which goes against VW manufacturer recommendations with no evidence to back it up. To be clear, VW recommends inspecting the cam belt at every service, and replacing the belt at 210,000km, without time limit, unless the inspection shows that the belt should be changed earlier. The cam belt manufacturer says the design criteria is 10 years, confirmed by @Loz communicating with the factory. VWUK is a private importer, is the only market that doesn't follow the VW manufacturer's recommendation, and at the same time skips the manufacturer's recommended inspections in order to reduce costs. It's the equivalent of replacing a perfectly functioning clutch every 4 years, while skipping the manufacturer's recommended inspection which would show that the clutch plates were in perfect functioning order. Or replacing brake pads without inspecting, even though they are within manufacturer's tolerances. The inspections, which only in the UK are skipped, are recommended for a reason, and UK owners would benefit from the international reach of this forum to understand that they are being singled out for a cash cow transaction. Once again, THE UK IS THE ONLY MARKET THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE VW MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATION FOR REPLACEMENT BASED ON INSPECTIONS. The 4 year change without inspection comes from the private UK importer, and contradicts the manufacturer's recommendation.

Members of this forum who have asked VWCM UK why their service schedule for the cam belt contradicts the VW manufacturer's recommendation have been answered in writing that "that information is not available to be shared."
I think this is a tad harsh calling my statement shocking;

We live in the UK, and as such with VW are under control of VW UK guidelines, regardless of the guidelines of the manufacturer and those of VW in mainland Europe. Surely you understand that Bognor Motors, as a responsible garage have a duty of care to advise in line with what manufacturers recommend, and if we start wrongly advising customers to ignore the guidelines of VW UK for their cambelt changes or anything else on their vehicles, and then there is an issue, it will fall at our feet for responsibility. I agreed above that it doesn't make sense, however for any warranty and for what we have seen in some cases, the changes need to be adhered to. Over the years with many manufacturers there used to be a time when the inspection of the cambelts was part of an annual service, however in some cases (Vauxhall spring to mind) , to inspect the belt properly there was so much work involved, that as you were there and already paying a labour charge you may as well replace it at the same time.

Comparing a timing belt that is changed on a time/mileage basis to brake pads and clutches that are friction parts that are changed when worn out isn't a fair comparison, especially as we have seen at the UK stated replacement interval we have seen issues with he condition of the belt or associated parts (See our BMVS thread ref the idler pulley nearly coming off - That engine would have gone bang if left much longer than when we did it) . Brake pads are inspected on every service and advised on their wear, or can be felt as they wear down by the user. Clutches can't be inspected easily, so driving feel(slipping/juddering) initially dictates when and if these are worn, and the need to inspect - Both of these cases are worn by driver input and driving habits.

For fear of repeating myself, which I'm not going to again after this comment, we as a business will advise in line with what VW UK recommend. At the end of the day its your vehicle, and ultimately you do what you want. If a customer of ours declines our advise on this or any matter during a service or inspection, we will always note it on their invoice. Its due diligence for us.

Last edited:
I don’t know. If you get it done on the recommended frequency it shows you look after your van. If you leave it too long it suggests you don’t give a rodents back end.
I’ll admit that I have no interest in the VW brand and I‘m not a T6 enthusiast or petrol head, they are tools that enable other activities. I own a T6 as it seemed like the best platform for a small campervan.
I have spent my entire career (now retired) in mechanical maintenance including Diesel engines from maintaining, managing and developing maintenance programmes.
I treat my van as a piece of equipment that requires cost effective maintenance so fluids, filters, inspections with measurements and oil analysis is key. I also carry out 6 month inspections of the timing belt and video it so that I have a quick reference for condition monitoring.
So overall I do give a rats arse, I just don’t worry. If I am unfortunate and the timing belt fails I can afford to repair it without any stress.
Basically a case of risk analysis.

Please make it stop - it's just going over the same ground again (and again, and again ad infinitum). The bottom line is that everybody has the choice of doing exactly what they want to do with their own van and nobody can blame Bognor Motors or, indeed, any VW authorised van centres for passing on the service requirement advice of VW Commercial Vehicles UK and they are the ones who are potentially taking the p1ss out their UK customers by insisting on the four year etc. replacement. As I understand it, new VW vans are all sold to the public here in UK through a network of franchised dealers (ie. all privately owned companies) BUT they are sold to those franchises by VW Commercial Vehicles UK Ltd who are ultimately wholly owned by the VW Group in Germany. In some ways, I'm quite jealous of @DXX for his technical abilities but I haven't got any whatsoever and am therefore willing to cough up however much it costs to follow the VW advice in the perhaps vain hope that I've got some comeback in the event of a premature failure - mine was done last year for £550 which is bugger all spread over 4 years.

Of course everybody can choose, but there is a certain irony to missing the point of this forum: people make better choices when they are informed. That's why it's significant that VWCV UK refuses to explain the criteria for deciding to be the only sales area that doesn't follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Last edited:
Why make it stop … new people come on here and want a clear correct answer which seems difficult … why the discrepancy is what we want answered ….German 210k without time limit is helluva difference to vw uk stance

My biggest fear when it comes to replacing my vans cambelt, is not WHEN it's changed, but WHO changes it.

I'll continue inspecting my belt when I give it its yearly service, and won't get it changed until it, or any of the other associated parts, either shows signs of wear, or the van hits 7 years old. (it's 6 years old now).

My fear when the times comes to get it replaced is finding a garage that will give me the confidence that they will do the job properly at the same time as appreciating that it's not 'just a van', so I will probably take a 2.5hour drive down to Bognor Motors for them to do it for me. (and maybe see if they will let me test drive some of their suspension set ups at the same time)

A few years ago on construction site one of the lads stated his van was a write off due to the cam belt snapping but was covered by his insurance which was third party fire and theft. Yes he set set the van on fire.
He crapped himself when my foreman told him I was a fire officer and had heard his tale of woe.

Reactions: .50
I've got to say that this does all seem a bit Groundhog Day. Yes, people should have the right to the 'correct answer' as somebody said above but that answer is posted to the forum any number of times already. All that ever seems to happen is that somebody raises the matter, people pile in with various facts (and not so facts in a few cases), often accompanied by outrage at VW price gouging (no news there!) and then it goes away until the next time the whole cycle is repeated - It's a classic case of UTFS in the first place. At least with the 'V5 Motor Caravan / Van Side Windows' saga, almost as soon as somebody posts yet again with the same question, somebody quickly points them in the right direction and it goes away again (for a while at least)

My biggest fear when it comes to replacing my vans cambelt, is not WHEN it's changed, but WHO changes it.

I'll continue inspecting my belt when I give it its yearly service, and won't get it changed until it, or any of the other associated parts, either shows signs of wear, or the van hits 7 years old. (it's 6 years old now).

My fear when the times comes to get it replaced is finding a garage that will give me the confidence that they will do the job properly at the same time as appreciating that it's not 'just a van', so I will probably take a 2.5hour drive down to Bognor Motors for them to do it for me. (and maybe see if they will let me test drive some of their suspension set ups at the same time)
Exactly, human intervention causes more FU’s in many cases. So many people working in industries now without qualifications.

I’ll admit that I have no interest in the VW brand and I‘m not a T6 enthusiast or petrol head, they are tools that enable other activities. I own a T6 as it seemed like the best platform for a small campervan.
I have spent my entire career (now retired) in mechanical maintenance including Diesel engines from maintaining, managing and developing maintenance programmes.
I treat my van as a piece of equipment that requires cost effective maintenance so fluids, filters, inspections with measurements and oil analysis is key. I also carry out 6 month inspections of the timing belt and video it so that I have a quick reference for condition monitoring.
So overall I do give a rats arse, I just don’t worry. If I am unfortunate and the timing belt fails I can afford to repair it without any stress.
Basically a case of risk analysis.
Well that’s fine for you. I design bridges and other civil infrastructure and rubber bridge bearings are about my limit of interaction with the material. I wouldn’t say I personally could inspect a cam belt and say if it will snap in the next six months. Everyone is different.
No offence here but if I were buying your van I’d have no real assurance from you saying you film the belt every six months, as I don’t know you, but seeing a receipt for replacement with the mileage stated and within VW UK guidelines would give me some assurance.
I’m not wading in on the is VW UK right or wrong aspect here - just what it might look like to potential buyers (who might not know how to inspect their cam belt every six months and probably don’t want to - they just want to know it’s done).

Last edited:
Well that’s fine for you. I design bridges and other civil infrastructure and rubber bridge bearings are about my limit of interaction with the material. I wouldn’t say I personally could inspect a cam belt and say if it will snap in the next six months. Everyone is different.
No offence here but if I were buying your van I’d have no real assurance from you saying you film the belt every six months, as I don’t know you, but seeing a receipt for replacement with the mileage stated and within VW UK guidelines would give me some assurance.
I’m not wading in on the is VW UK right or wrong aspect here - just what it might look like to potential buyers (who might not know how to inspect their cam belt every six months and probably don’t want to - they just want to know it’s done).
It’s not for sale and you don’t have to buy it.
I’m highlighting the fact that if I had a timing belt in use for 10 years and changed it the month before you bought it the previous 10 year old belt would not affect the reliability or engine condition. When it comes to belts what is relevant is the belt that it currently in service.

It’s not for sale and you don’t have to buy it.
I’m highlighting the fact that if I had a timing belt in use for 10 years and changed it the month before you bought it the previous 10 year old belt would not affect the reliability or engine condition. When it comes to belts what is relevant is the belt that it currently in service.
I’m not saying it is for sale, if it were then of course I know I don’t have to buy it and… I don’t want to buy it.
It was an example of one reason some people might like to change their belts at the guidance frequency we have here (like it or not) and although I appreciate what you’re saying in that if you changed the belt just before a sale then the belt indeed lasted and there was no damage but equally my point still stands - you’d be a seller that (albeit using your apparent knowledge and experience - which a buyer can’t confirm) refused to accept VW UKs guidance on an important element of the engine.
Again, no dig at your ability but just how this scenario might look to some (clearly not all - Sackmycook might be fine with it. I don’t want his van either thanks ).

Back