Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Would you be happy trusting an elastic band to hold up for 4 years?
That Elastic band is somewhat more engineered that a piece of rubber.

the Manufacturers have specifically designed the belt to carry out the function it is intended to do, they advise the Belt is good for 8 years 210km, that manufacturer will have included a margin of safety in that design.

the fact is if I live on the continent the Timing belt will apparently last longer according VWGmbh service schedule I.e the whole of Europe vs 4 years for VWUK.

Do you not find that a bit strange.?

of those two belts you had fail : what mileage / age were the belts

I am yet to hear of a T6 with a failed Timing belt within 4 years

I've had 2 VW cambelts let go, one on a very old 1043cc Polo, then on a newer 1.8 Injection Golf.
No idea if they were due or not, but the Polo was scrapped, the Golf was just under 1600 quid to fix. 25 years ago!
Would you be happy trusting an elastic band to hold up for 4 years? That is a rubber band, under massive tension. Sitting still is worse than moving.
So I don't mess about these days, my Golf TDi is an 18 plate, with just 30K miles. it will be done soon.
Yes, I am happy with the design life of my elastic band.
That`s why I am 6 years in 100k miles.
It will be done soon, but I think Vw take the piss.

I see it as it’s £600 quid or so every 4 years so £150 a year for bit of piece of mind! Yet some people spend £1000’s on getting there van to look smart alloys/suspension etc etc yet moan about a bit of maintenance every 4 years it’s beyond me

Each to there ow
I see it as it’s £600 quid or so every 4 years so £150 a year for bit of piece of mind! Yet some people spend £1000’s on getting there van to look smart alloys/suspension etc etc yet moan about a bit of maintenance every 4 years it’s beyond me
Each to there own.
Mine is a work van, and I like to get the best value I can from them. I don`t understand how the miles/years are a problem here but not in europe.
I've waited until 100k and intend to run it for 200k then it will be battered.

Each to there ow

Each to there own.
Mine is a work van, and I like to get the best value I can from them. I don`t understand how the miles/years are a problem here but not in europe.
I've waited until 100k and intend to run it for 200k then it will be battered.
I totally agree with the different times and miles from here to Europe it does seem crazy!

So, after a slight delay, my 66 plate finally went in for its first cambelt at just over 101000 miles tonight.
They still suggested all would be well until at least 120000 but my balls are not big enough.
Im still on original discs too, so I can see this being a big bill.

So, after a slight delay, my 66 plate finally went in for its first cambelt at just over 101000 miles tonight.
They still suggested all would be well until at least 120000 but my balls are not big enough.
Im still on original discs too, so I can see this being a big bill.
Interesting Neil.

My van is also a 66 plate and still on its original cam belt, but only having covered 24,000 miles.
Am I now pushing further than you into the risky unknown territory of cambelt longevity, given that VW veiw the limiting factor to the life of belts fitted to vehicles supplied to the UK is time more than milage?.
I suspect you got your cambelt changed more due to your vans milage than its age

Interesting Neil.

My van is also a 66 plate and still on its original cam belt, but only having covered 24,000 miles.
Am I now pushing further than you into the risky unknown territory of cambelt longevity, given that VW veiw the limiting factor to the life of belts fitted to vehicles supplied to the UK is time more than milage?.
I suspect you got your cambelt changed more due to your vans milage than its age
Yes, I changed mine due to the mileage more than the age.
My local garage suggested that it was not really needed until 120k miles.
It was a similar situation with my Crafter, but as the servicing garage had a deal on cam belts I had it done. I think that was at only 40k miles.

Reactions: .50
So here’s my question, and apologies if it’s been answered elsewhere.
I’m booked to get my cambelt changed next month, just on 4 years old (25k miles on clock due to pandemic etc)
VW van centre want me to change waterpump as well ( “it comes as a kit “).
I said no, I’ve got all-in warranty just started and I will take it again so if the pump fails, it’ll be a warranty repair. Retired, so don’t need the van everyday
The aux belt and tensioner were replaced 8 months ago under VW used vehicle warranty.
Would you replace the waterpump in my position ? Extra cost £150 incvat.

Definitely always do both together if pump fails it could damage the belt! I’ve had it before on an old Astra van years ago! Warranty would be void if refused pump I would of thought!

Definitely always do both together if pump fails it could damage the belt! I’ve had it before on an old Astra van years ago! Warranty would be void if refused pump I would of thought!
Very good advice. If the water pump fails your new cambelt will likely get the teeth ripped off and you'll have catastrophic engine damage.
It's a false economy to do one without the other.

Thanks for your inputs. I did a bit more digging on this. According to the warranty document, the waterpump is covered and according to the VW service schedules waterpump is not specified for change with the belt. However, the devil is in the detail, specifically a £2500 + vat limit per claim…. So regardless warranty and correct servicing, a major 5 figure blow up would be reliant on VW goodwill, and to have a hope with that I reckon you have to be able to say “ I did everything you recommended”, so yes, the waterpump WILL be getting changed.

Ok now had email back from VW who say 4 years for cambelt, but that all VW's made after 2009 are 5 years for cambelt, so have spoken to VW and after some time was told that the reason for 4 years is not really the cambelt that needs changing but the Water pump which may leak.

Back