Cambelt change

My T6 went in for service today and cam belt change was expected (5yrs but low mileage). But the garage says VW are now saying 130,000 miles before cambelt change. No timeframe now given. Well that saves me a packet, but one hell of a policy change. Anyone know any more?
When I asked VW Peasmarsh for my T6 Kombi 2019 with 40k, I was advised the following:
Good Afternoon,

I hope you are well.

I have tried calling you regarding the below enquiry.

I have checked your cambelt and water pump intervals and it is advised that there is no service interval at all as the items are classed as 'fitted for life' items that can be considered as 15 years or 180,000 miles.

It is your own decision if you would like to have them replaced the cost is £815.61.

When I asked VW Peasmarsh for my T6 Kombi 2019 with 40k, I was advised the following:
Good Afternoon,

I hope you are well.

I have tried calling you regarding the below enquiry.

I have checked your cambelt and water pump intervals and it is advised that there is no service interval at all as the items are classed as 'fitted for life' items that can be considered as 15 years or 180,000 miles.

It is your own decision if you would like to have them replaced the cost is £815.61.

As I mentioned in post #33 I currently run a car with a belt that has been installed for 15 years, no sign of degradation.
The car doubles in value when I fill up with Diesel, I wouldn’t recommend pushing it to 15 years on a valuable vehicle.

Hi

Save me trawling though 100s of threads.
Just booked my T6 2018 T30 150 TDI Highline in for a major service and MOT.
They asked if I wanted a cambelt change as its 4 years (as recommended by VW) but also asked if it was high mileage or not and therefore my choice.
I've declined at present as it only has 23699m on the clock and done little mileage during the pandemic years.

What are your views on this? are they prone to failure?

Much appreciate in advance.

Graffo
There are horror stories about cambelt failures would be interesting to know the statistics regarding mileage and age of failures. The 4yr replacement seems ludicrous especially with low mileage as the belt is admittedly under tension but it is in its own micro environment away from uv and nasties. Those that dissagree with my comments could you please provide statistics as proof, not just quoting the "what if" costs. Life is a gamble.

I just sold my van at 8 years and 150k. Kms/94k miles no belt change. Keep in mind vw Germany says 10 years or 220k kms /137k miles for a belt change.

It's vw uk that chopped the interval to 4 years. I know several.people including myself who asked vw uk why they have reduced Intervals and they haven't answered. Uk owners are getting shafted.

I just sold my van at 8 years and 150k. Kms/94k miles no belt change. Keep in mind vw Germany says 10 years or 220k kms /137k miles for a belt change.

It's vw uk that chopped the interval to 4 years. I know several.people including myself who asked vw uk why they have reduced Intervals and they haven't answered. Uk owners are getting shafted.
Have they not now increased the intervals again?

Maybe anyone who has had their van cam-belt done, under the earlier criteria quoted by the dealerships, should question whether they have a path to being compensated

Back