Cambelt change

graffo

Hi

Save me trawling though 100s of threads.
Just booked my T6 2018 T30 150 TDI Highline in for a major service and MOT.
They asked if I wanted a cambelt change as its 4 years (as recommended by VW) but also asked if it was high mileage or not and therefore my choice.
I've declined at present as it only has 23699m on the clock and done little mileage during the pandemic years.

What are your views on this? are they prone to failure?

Much appreciate in advance.

Graffo

in mainland europe vw state 10 years /200,000kms for the cambelt , Uk VW have cut it down significantly

The general gist is that most are, or are considering stretching it out to 5 yrs. Others are going with the Euro timeframe and some of course sticking with the 4 yr recommendation. You really do need to read it and make your own mind up.

I have just called my VW Commercial dealer for a cambelt change for my 2018 102. He informed me that after 2013 the cambelt is done every 5 years. I did have an email reminding me but he said ignore it.

I have just called my VW Commercial dealer for a cambelt change for my 2018 102. He informed me that after 2013 the cambelt is done every 5 years. I did have an email reminding me but he said ignore it.
I have a 2018 102, VW Croydon called me last month to say my cambelt is due a change after 4 years - like referees in the PL, no consistency!!

Either he writes to you confirming this advice or you write to him confirming the content of your conversation!

it's peace of mind is what it is about 4 / 5 years wont make any difference on a low mileage van but with the scare of the water pump leak / fail snapping the timing belt and the belt tensioner pulley getting noisey with a good opportunity to get the oil /filter changed to save the cam shafts plus we are not sure if the coolant / Anti freeze is renewed or replaced but might get a bit of a refresh ......... peace of mind.......... for the summer adventures....... and
£800 lighter in the wallet £160 of That being the dreaded V A T.....

I'm into year 6 on my original cambelt, and at only 23,000 miles there's no way I'm changing it, especially when there's loads of T6 drivers in other parts of the world who won't be worrying about it till 7 years.
Each to their own I guess, and whatever gives people feel peace of mind.

Seen this on the VW (UK) website. It says cars but I think it's vehiles in general. Still clear as mud as other garages state 4 years!!!!!!

We recommend changing your cambelt once every four years for cars registered before September 2009, and every five years for cars registered after. If you reach the recommended mileage limit before 4 or 5 years, you may need to change the cambelt sooner.

I can agree with that. Every bugger in the 500+ thread goes on about 4 years, yet ANY T6 has to be 5 years, as they have to be post 2009?
Mine is November 2016, so now well due, with 49K showing.
Many complain they have only 8K miles, so why change?
The belt is under a lot of load, just sitting on your drive. It's an Age related thing. Hence the lack of a clear mileage limit...

My T6 went in for service today and cam belt change was expected (5yrs but low mileage). But the garage says VW are now saying 130,000 miles before cambelt change. No timeframe now given. Well that saves me a packet, but one hell of a policy change. Anyone know any more?

Copied from a post on a Facebook forum.....

Cam Belt. Not words to normally put joy in the heart of a T6 owner, but there is possibly good news coming for us. None of the following is official, just me reporting my experience: Today our 2018 T6 (Sanna) went for its annual service at a VW van garage. I'd been expecting the cost of a cam-belt change (£600+VAT or so), only to be told that VW have recently relaxed the rules and now it's at "130,000 miles". Wow. I did not think to ask if there's also a time limit, so I'll do that when I collect later. But for now I can afford a few more coffees; yippee! Hope this helps others.

Really?...anyone confirm this?

Back