Cambelt change

Can anyone recommend a good garage to do a cam belt change? - Glasgow area
My T6 is 5 years old in October 23.
Although I have a low mileage of 15,450 I read that it should still be done?
Is it recommended to do the water pump at the same time given the low mileage?
Other question...what can I expect to be paying for this at the main dealers/ indie garage.
Would you all recommend such a crucial task is done by the dealer or am I being too cautious?
A friend of mine put his van into the dealer and halfway through the cam belt change they said they would also have to do a "mini service". Is a service necessary at the point of the cam belt change.
My van was serviced in October 22 and I have only done a couple of thousand miles since then so don't really want to pay for a service as well as cam belt change.

Yes its true!!! Just had a call from VW commercial and last week the interval for timing belt changed. Its now just at 120,000 miles and age does not matter. Mine 2016 T6 has done 80,000 so got another 40,000 miles to do before change so a few years. Couldn't quite believe it but as the service centre said it make the UK more in line with Europe.

Couldn't quite believe it but as the service centre said it make the UK more in line with Europe.
The European service includes a timing belt inspection with the normal service, make sure this is done as it can spot misalignment and associated wear. No doubt UK VW mechanics won’t be used to doing this as it wasn’t part of the service regime.

As DXX has mentioned above, the terms have now changed and its now done by mileage (120,000) and age no longer matters

Yes mate according to the new guidelines. Mine was due in feb but I decided not to do it. Quite glad now ha ha

Just called Lookers Glasgow but think their call centre is in the Newcastle area (nice Geordie lassie on phone). She confirmed 140K but said Glasgow Lookers telling her it should be done at 4 years. (beam me up scottie)
They gave a price of £797.01 inc vat for cam belt and water pump. Will think about it

Wow..that's good news. So if the belt is 5 years old, I'm OK ?

The no age limit is probably assuming that it will be used and not locked in a garage.
In my engineering experience rubber products have a cure (manufacturing) date and a discard date set by the manufacturer not the assembler (VW). There should be a high turn over of parts in any suppliers warehouse but always worth checking that old stock has not been supplied when you renew.
It’s common for the discard date to be 10 years post cure date on many O rings and belts.
IMO opinion and that’s all it is I wouldn’t keep a belt on an engine more that 10 years unless it was a unplanned trip to the scrapyard next time it fails.
I currently have an A4 TDI with a belt that has accumulated 101K miles and 15 years service, inspection doesn’t reveal any cracking, fraying or obvious deterioration. The car is worth approx’ £50 more than the fuel in the tank.
I don’t recommend you do this with an expensive vehicle.

The no age limit is probably assuming that it will be used and not locked in a garage.
In my engineering experience rubber products have a cure (manufacturing) date and a discard date set by the manufacturer not the assembler (VW). There should be a high turn over of parts in any suppliers warehouse but always worth checking that old stock has not been supplied when you renew.
It’s common for the discard date to be 10 years post cure date on many O rings and belts.
IMO opinion and that’s all it is I wouldn’t keep a belt on an engine more that 10 years unless it was a unplanned trip to the scrapyard next time it fails.
I currently have an A4 TDI with a belt that has accumulated 101K miles and 15 years service, inspection doesn’t reveal any cracking, fraying or obvious deterioration. The car is worth approx’ £50 more than the fuel in the tank.
I don’t recommend you do this with an expensive vehicle.
Thanks for the information. Lookers Glasgow (the dealer) recommending 4 years. Think I'm going to leave it this year and get it done March 24.

Thanks and I will get the timing belt checked. Does anyone know what the interval is now for the water pump?

Thanks and I will get the timing belt checked. Does anyone know what the interval is now for the water pump?
There is no planned maintenance on the water pump, it’s recommended along with the timing belt kit.
Not a T6 but I have a water pump on an A4 TDI that’s been installed 15 years and 101K miles, it all comes down to the quality of the components.

Thanks and that’s just as I thought so as my t6 is very low mileage I will leave it and save some money.
Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Interesting phone chat with my local VW official van service centre this morn.

I was asking about the cam belt/'water pump change for my 2019 T6 (44k on clock).

They said that advice on this has "changed within the last few months".

I would not need to change cam belt until I had 140k on the clock regardless of the age of my van.

Has anyone else had this (frankly astonishing) revision of service regime?

I am a VW 'all-in' service plan customer.

Back