Timing belt change

Outcycling

T6 Pro
we have a 2019 150bhp T6 and I believe it’s due a timing belt change every 120000 miles or 4 years. We’ve only got 37000 on the clock but I presume we should still make sure they change the belt yes?
Thanks.

Crikey 37k feels very young for a new timing belt. Can’t help thinking the 4 year guidance is more for the benefit of the garage than the van….

Crikey 37k feels very young for a new timing belt. Can’t help thinking the 4 year guidance is more for the benefit of the garage than the van….
That’s what I thought but no idea. Was going to do all the normal servicing (oil,air,fuel,pollen) filters myself every year and just put it in for a major service when timing belt etc needed doing but as it’s 4 years and hence due thought I better put it in to be done but seems crazy soon. Would an MOT check this out anyway and let me know if it or anything else needed changing?

No, timing belt isn’t in the scope of the MOT. It would be catastrophic should your timing belt break at just 37k miles. But the chances of this happening are very small indeed….

No, timing belt isn’t in the scope of the MOT. It would be catastrophic should your timing belt break at just 37k miles. But the chances of this happening are very small indeed….
Yep I had a timing belt go in an old Vauxhall many years ago but that was at more like 70000+ and fortunately on that engine not a problem although most engine it’ll destroy it.

Timing belt is rubber which deteriorates and cracks due to hot/cold weather and moisture so miliage isn't really the deciding factor although more use will of course speed up the deterioration.
Follow the recommendation or don't and cry wads of cash if it breaks or celebrate for saving yourself a few bob if it lasts.

Timing belt is rubber which deteriorates and cracks due to hot/cold weather and moisture so miliage isn't really the deciding factor although more use will of course speed up the deterioration.
Follow the recommendation or don't and cry wads of cash if it breaks or celebrate for saving yourself a few bob if it lasts.
yes a fair point. Maybe worth getting timing belt checked over by a garage first before changing at 37k though.

Yep, maybe the sensible option. Sigh.

Other than an MOT centre can decline to carry out the MOT if the cambelt has not been changed according to manufacturers guidelines - it has happened to me!

Other than an MOT centre can decline to carry out the MOT if the cambelt has not been changed according to manufacturers guidelines - it has happened to me!
Nothing in the MOT Manual regarding this and the MOT tester has no requirement to access the maintenance history.

I understand that’s because as part of the MoT test they will run the engine at high revs for a couple of minutes when checking emissions. They don’t really want to risk a cambelt breaking and destroying the engine.

I understand that’s because as part of the MoT test they will run the engine at high revs for a couple of minutes when checking emissions. They don’t really want to risk a cambelt breaking and destroying the engine.
I’ve never heard of such reasoning, if the belt did break there would be no comeback on the test centre or the MOT tester anyway.

The test centre we use (part of a national chain) displays a sign in the reception area explaining the requirement for customers to inform them if a cambelt change is overdue when submitting a vehicle for MoT testing. Obviously an arse-saving exercise.

Last edited:
The test centre we use (part of a national chain) display a sign in the reception area explaining the requirement for customers to inform them if a cambelt change is overdue when submitting a vehicle for MoT testing. Obviously an arse-saving exercise.
Yep - seen the same at my local MoT testing centre.

Our timing belt was changed last week at the 5 year (major) service. Last year the VW service centre said it should be changed this year, ie at 5 years with no suggestion of the need at 4 years.
They also asked this time if we wanted the water pump changing, as if we were expert in the VW maintenance schedules. We elected to have it changed in addition to the timing belt.

Our timing belt was changed last week at the 5 year (major) service. Last year the VW service centre said it should be changed this year, ie at 5 years with no suggestion of the need at 4 years.
They also asked this time if we wanted the water pump changing, as if we were expert in the VW maintenance schedules. We elected to have it changed in addition to the timing belt.
I’ve contacted 3 garages and 4 years was the norm. Had 2 eye watering quotes so far for cambelt, water pump, brake fluid, air conditioning refrigerant and all the filters plus major service checkup. Guess they are doing a lot. Labour was virtually the Same for both at around £550. But one quote was 1390 and one 1100 so massive difference in parts cost.

Back