Replace cambelt even with little mileage?

Jim Rey

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a 68 plate T6. Because of illness and past covid restrictions, I have only just reached 13,000 miles on the clock. The major service is due in October 22 (this year) I have read that cam belt has to be replaced at 4 years old. Given my low mileage for the vehicle age should I still get this done at the same time as the service?

We had a similar issue …low mileage and 4 years old but VW insisted it’s a time thing…We value our van and it’s a keeper so begrudgingly it’s getting done in May ( + mot) we also opted for water pump and ancillary belt change…Feel like we are getting a raw deal but better be safe than sorry :(

Our van had a 4 year service a couple of weeks ago, mileage around 21k. The VW service report records it as an activity for next year, which will be at the 5 year point.
I have no idea why advice varies on this!

We had a similar issue …low mileage and 4 years old but VW insisted it’s a time thing…We value our van and it’s a keeper so begrudgingly it’s getting done in May ( + mot) we also opted for water pump and ancillary belt change…Feel like we are getting a raw deal but better be safe than sorry :(
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. It's probably a "time thing" because that way they make more money. If it's not done, and the belt/s go then mega problems. I had a Renault Scenic for 11 years and never got anything like that done

Our van had a 4 year service a couple of weeks ago, mileage around 21k. The VW service report records it as an activity for next year, which will be at the 5 year point.
I have no idea why advice varies on this!
That's interesting. Think I will ask the VW commercial dealer what they say about it.

Do you have an extended warranty, if so you will need to have it done at4 years, if you don’t then you can have it done at 5 years, advice from Vw Croydon- the point being if it fails and you have no warranty you’re paying either way. I don’t think there’s many on here who think scam belt will fail in year 5, it’s ultimately your call. There’s another very long thread on here about it.

We have the factory extended warranty, just had our cam belt & water pump done by the dealer. 17plate 5 years old 38k miles. Dealer charged £468.

Do you have an extended warranty, if so you will need to have it done at4 years, if you don’t then you can have it done at 5 years, advice from Vw Croydon- the point being if it fails and you have no warranty you’re paying either way. I don’t think there’s many on here who think scam belt will fail in year 5, it’s ultimately your call. There’s another very long thread on here about it.
don't have extended warranty/ Might just get it done anyway to be sure. Someone I know paid circa £1000 for a full service cam belt and MOT

The 4 years replacement is a scam. It is just in line with extended warranty which is not offered in other countries. In some countries VW advise to replace it every 5 years or 74k miles.

don't have extended warranty/ Might just get it done anyway to be sure. Someone I know paid circa £1000 for a full service cam belt and MOT
Get the water pump done at the same time. Find the other thread on this subject there’s a list of prices from various main dealers as a guide. I had mine done at 4 years as I have an extended warranty- it looked brand new :rolleyes:

Im not saying I am right or wrong here, but I have a 66 plate on 95k miles and I have not yet done the belt.
My local idni says its not needed, but I will probably buckle at its next service, just short of 100k

I did mine at 4yrs and 17k. It was the first question they asked when applying for the extended warranty.

Im not saying I am right or wrong here, but I have a 66 plate on 95k miles and I have not yet done the belt.
My local idni says its not needed, but I will probably buckle at its next service, just short of 100k

The 4 years replacement is a scam. It is just in line with extended warranty which is not offered in other countries. In some countries VW advise to replace it every 5 years or 74k miles.
I tend to think it is a means of making money by the dealerships. I wonder how many cam belts have snapped after e.g just 20,000 miles of driving.

Get the water pump done at the same time. Find the other thread on this subject there’s a list of prices from various main dealers as a guide. I had mine done at 4 years as I have an extended warranty- it looked brand new :rolleyes:
expensive methinks but at least you have peace of mind
no , I don't have the extended warranty. I knew I was not going to do a lot of miles in my T6 campervan so wondered about the extra cost

I had mine done at 5yrs with 17k on the clock. Better to be safe than sorry me thinks.?
ll get it done.... sods law if I don't then it is real mega problem. I think I have been scared into submission on this cam belt subject

Mine is due to be done at the end of July in accordance with the '4 year rule'. We're thinking a a trip down the South of France for May/June and depending on whether it happens or not, it will only have done 9-11000 miles by then. I'm going to start phoning around for prices soon and suspect that I will be going with a good local (and well reviewed) independent.

Mine is due to be done at the end of July in accordance with the '4 year rule'. We're thinking a a trip down the South of France for May/June and depending on whether it happens or not, it will only have done 9-11000 miles by then. I'm going to start phoning around for prices soon and suspect that I will be going with a good local (and well reviewed) independent.
Local (respected) indie every time. Once I’m out of extended warranty, that’s where I’d go. I only went with dealer for my belt as he actually came in cheaper

Getting it replaced with the water pump and new tensioner is for peace of mind... our low mileage Vans should be fine ... it wont fail on its forth birthday... im sure.... there is a little lee way ... but is a recommendation from VW... but the belt and tensioner and water pump has done a lot of work in 4 years what ever the mileage.. and are tiny bearings.... throw in a oil and filter change and auxilary belt and your good to go for another few years

@JOG - I'm in the 'All In' warranty period but will still go to the independent if his price is competitive with VW. I've not spoken to the one that I have in mind yet (STC Services Nailsworth) but I've been told that he uses all VW parts and can access the 'VW service IT system' (or whatever it's called) to log any work that he does. The guy that owns the other place that's in the running (360 Automotive) told me himself that they do the same. My gut is telling me that I'm not that keen on VW Tewkesbury after our last encounter and the next nearest VW is 50 odd miles away. The two independents mentioned are just down the road in comparison! I'll obvs report back idc.

Think I will get it done.... sods law if I don't then it is real mega problem if it goes. I think I have been scared into submission on this cam belt subject

Back