Cabinet Unit Manufacturing

Matt M

Evening all, first post here

A friend was showing me his transporter camper conversion the other day and started talking about the troubles he had sourcing and installing the wardrobe unit and kitchen pod. I have a small cabinet making & joinery business and the precise nature, design and utility of the units has piqued my interest.

I have since done some research looking at what is currently available and methods of construction, and wanted to seek opinions from other people who would be interested.

I would like to find out what would make the process of fitting out the interior better for you and how.

As I am approaching this from a cabinet makers standpoint there is a number of techniques and hardware options I would typically use but have yet to see in my research.

A few things I am currently giving thought to are:

Would delivering the cabinets flat packed or assembled be best.

Would offering an installation service be practical.

How much customisation would be useful in ordering the units

From what I have heard the lightweight panels typically used are also quite soft and prone to damage. Would a denser substrate weighing slightly more be a big issue?

Drawers don’t seem to feature in many variations. Would these be useful?

I’m currently working on some cad drawings and will be producing some mock ups in due course.

Anything learned from this thread will be greatly appreciated

Hi Matt

• Good luck finding a courier that will deliver undamaged cabinets :)
  • Will work for some all depends on location.
How much customisation would be useful in ordering the units.
  • Good to accommodate different fridges and cooker sink combo.
From what I have heard the lightweight panels typically used are also quite soft and prone to damage. Would a denser substrate weighing slightly more be a big issue?
  • Personally never had an issue with lightweight board, finding good edge banding bit of a mission tho.
  • I wouldn't be without them.
I’m currently working on some cad drawings and will be producing some mock ups in due course.

I'm just redoing my interior. Built some temp units from 15mm ply, Over the winter I plan to get made up and edge banded.

If you want I will PM you my 'plans'

Kev

I wish one of the converters would design and huge sectional single draw unit that fixes under the double rear seat in a kombi, because it's a huge waste of space that would be perfect for a mass produced flat pack unit.

I wish one of the converters would design and huge sectional single draw unit that fixes under the double rear seat in a kombi, because it's a huge waste of space that would be perfect for a mass produced flat pack unit.
Could you attach a photo of the space?

The space under there is roughly 650mm wide by 500mm deep. I'm just looking for a nice quality lockable single draw unit that has different sections potentially.

20180509_215855~2.jpg

Evening all, first post here

A friend was showing me his transporter camper conversion the other day and started talking about the troubles he had sourcing and installing the wardrobe unit and kitchen pod. I have a small cabinet making & joinery business and the precise nature, design and utility of the units has piqued my interest.

I have since done some research looking at what is currently available and methods of construction, and wanted to seek opinions from other people who would be interested.

I would like to find out what would make the process of fitting out the interior better for you and how.

As I am approaching this from a cabinet makers standpoint there is a number of techniques and hardware options I would typically use but have yet to see in my research.

A few things I am currently giving thought to are:

How much customisation would be useful in ordering the units

Have a look at Evo designs website, will give you an idea of combinations and has drawings and see if you can improve in any areas.

I certainly appreciated the fact that my Kiravans furniture was almost completely assembled when it arrived on a pallet.

Pete

Something like the above is on my list of things to make.

Pete

Thanks for all the replies so far chaps, all taken on board. I must say with a nice big space like that I am surprised no one has done a drawer kit for it, its crying out for it.
What are your thoughts on the different edgings, I've seen the knock in rubber edges and raw cut ply edges. I haven't seen many with an edge to match the laminate typically found in a kitchen cabinet though.

Hi Matt,

Im a Cabinetmaker as well, you will find that most of these companies just follow others and cabinetmaking isn't there primary trade.

It is easy to just router out the panels and use knock in rubber edge as it saves on material, and its easy for the DIY'er

I do like raw cut ply edge myself, but only with birch ply, but this material is to heavy for a van conversion, Decent Ply and MDF is twice the weight of lightweight plywood.

Also most people wouldn't have the tools to apply and trim 1-2mm ABS edging.

As for drawers, wouldn't be without them, although decent drawer runners really add to the cost, and with low profit margins and a lot of companies trying to sell, they are sacrificed to keep costs down.

thats just my take on it.

I would also, point out,

I really only think its only viable if you have a CNC machine to save on manufacturing costs for this type of smaller work.

When we were looking around for a converter to build our van, one of our main criteria was no knock on edging. That reduced the field considerably. I hate the stuff, it looks cheap & lazy IMHO

who did you go with in the end?

Does any one know the weight different between birch ply and the light weight stuff. I’m planning on making my own units out of birch ply. I don’t like the knock on stuff either. I new it was heavier but now abit worries about the weight. I’m only fitting low units so hopefully the weight saving if not having a high wardrobe will even it out.

I’m also fitting drawers on proper runners.

This is my almost finished interior, birch ply with Formica, I made the unit holding the fridge and the cassette toilet, the kitchen pod came from Cambee and the tall cupboard was by a bespoke kitchen company. I am aiming for a retro look similar to the 70’s Westfalia campers. Birch ply is easy to work with and looks great varnished and although mine came from different sources it all matches perfectly. It is heavier than the lightweight vohringer ply, but I would estimate that my furniture is only around 10 to 15 Kg heavier than if it was made from lightweight ply.

B9768C70-9D87-4491-A976-FED099F8C2B8.jpeg 9DF954D6-FFF7-4CC7-80EA-6823D2A096E7.jpeg

The weight difference, is generally around 40-50% depending on the thickness of birch ply and lightweight ply.

I ended up with a 15mm lightweight ply that weighted about 5.5kg a square meter if i recall correctly.

No a huge issue if you have a higher GVM and not doing overheads.

Have you come any further forward with this idea @Matt M? I'm still on the hunt for something, or someone to build one.
I did contact slidepods to ask the question, but sadly didn't get a reply.

When we were looking around for a converter to build our van, one of our main criteria was no knock on edging. That reduced the field considerably. I hate the stuff, it looks cheap & lazy IMHO

@Matt M / @Bryn23
I’m in the same boat as Salty Spuds and am veering towards something similar to this -
most places appear to advertise gloss white units but in reality they are about as glossy and attractive as an MFI kitchen-cupboard carcass. And then they have the knock-n edging to boot.

How hard is it getting panels sprayed in the high-gloss stuff (assuming it’s a spray-on paint)
and how durable is it?

Back