Van electrics upgrade - Shopping list sense check?

Running a microwave off an inverter isn't as simple as matching the inverter to the wattage of the MW. The wattage of the microwave oven will be the output wattage, not the input. Microwaves have a high startup inrush current which can trip the inverter. I used to run a 600W microwave in my works van off a 1500W inverter & it would struggle on occasions.

Running a microwave off an inverter isn't as simple as matching the inverter to the wattage of the MW. The wattage of the microwave oven will be the output wattage, not the input. Microwaves have a high startup inrush current which can trip the inverter. I used to run a 600W microwave in my works van off a 1500W inverter & it would struggle on occasions.
Thanks Salty. I’ve not heard anything back from Dometic (go figure [sarcastic mode=off]), but per my post the other day, only after ordering the Renogy 1kW in a fit of excitement did I then have that palm:face moment. Interesting to know that a 1.5kW struggled with the 600W oven. Oh well, bang goes that theory….there’s no way I can house a far larger 2kW or larger unit under the drivers swivel seat, and don’t want it mounted elsewhere consuming space, for, as mentioned, the occasional use….it just doesn’t justify the trade-off.

So I guess that simplifies it a tad. I have a dual 13A socket already mounted into the kitchen trim, it appears as though each socket may be independent, so potentially I could have one connected to the Renogy and leave the other as-is connected to the EHU.

(back soon, just got to duck into a meeting)

So I guess that simplifies it a tad. I have a dual 13A socket already mounted into the kitchen trim, it appears as though each socket may be independent, so potentially I could have one connected to the Renogy and leave the other as-is connected to the EHU.

(back soon, just got to duck into a meeting)
We have similar in our van. 2 sockets on the EHU & 1 separate one on the inverter. Tbh we hardly ever use the inverter & wouldn’t miss it.

The Renogy inverter is fine.

If its powerful enough for your requirements.

Maybe just fit it to a dedicated socket/s

And have your standard EHU feed Via CU to different socket/s

Or as @roadtripper suggested above. Use the inverter exclusively to run the sockets and have your EHU power a decent charger to feed the lithium.

Eg: EHU - cu - 240v charger - battery - Inverter - sockets

Alongside with your dc-dc charger from the engine bay.

What % of time would you be off-grid Vs on grid?

That may give you direction on what way to go.?

If mostly on EHU, then id use the inverter to feed a separate socket.

If mostly off grid I'd run everything through the inverter. And add the charger.
I’m still finding my feet with the van to be honest @Dellmassive, but I am actually using it a lot off-grid as a day van. I’m very fortunate insomuch that because I’ve got decent comms gear in there, and a job which allows me to work wherever (ie., keyboard jockey) either when on the road visiting customers or if I just fancy a day by the seaside, I can hop in the van, park up, pop the roof up and crack-on. Rarely do I need to be in a traditional orifice keeping a seat warm.

When travelling on an overnighter or away for the weekend watching the BSB, I do make use of the C&CC club sites and it doesnt really bother me to pay a few extra sheckles to have a hookup….but I’ve only spent 7/8 nights in there so far.

But, as @Salty Spuds said above, he didnt have much joy with his microwave and inverter, so I think I may have to adopt K.I.S.S, and buy myself a bigger Ridgemonkey. And f-ing well roll my sleeves up and cook something, haha.

So, I noticed that Fogstar also make a Lithium battery with an under seat form factor, like the Roamer. If your 15% affiliate discount for Roamer is still working, then this brings the price of the two closer….or do you also have an affiliate link for Fogstar? (Haha)

Any preference between Roamer and Fogstar? I‘ve not yet done a side by side checklist of the spec sheet, perhaps that’ll decide it.

I also then need to look into wiring that’s already in place, before switching out the current electronics for new Victron upgraded ones. Whether I can easily get to the wiring thats installed, I don’t know. Perhaps what might be best is to run new wires alongside, that I can fish through the access panels….I really want to avoid tearing apart the kitchen units to gain access to the side panels!

I did speak with All Seasons earlier this afternoon to try and find out about the PV panel - the guy there is fairly new so is finding out for me, but in the meantime does anyone recognise which brand/model it may be? It's "waffer thin", no ally frame, connections on the underside and discretely dropped into the pop-top. No branding that I can see (obvs).

IMG_7599.jpg

I think I may have answered my own question, thanks to another thread on solar stuff...and it entirely makes sense if I'm correct....Photonic Universe; it's a PU PWM controller, so at the moment I'm making the assumption that a solar kit was bought for the build.

Back