Brake Pad Sensors

James Rose

Hi Chaps,

Just picked up my T6 Sportline kombi. Great van and very happy but noticed the brakes sounds like pads are worn out. Do they have sensors for when worn and or low? I'm a little miffed as I bought from VW.

Cant seem to find out in the booklet.

Cheers

It’s not uncommon for the rears to be a bit noisy but could just be a stone or something jammed in the caliper

Depends on model, you will see a wire coming out of the calliper if you have them.

Hi Chaps,

Just picked up my T6 Sportline kombi. Great van and very happy but noticed the brakes sounds like pads are worn out. Do they have sensors for when worn and or low? I'm a little miffed as I bought from VW.

Cant seem to find out in the booklet.

Cheers
A lot of T6 brakes sound like they are worn out but its normally rusty disks.
Check out this thread noisy-rear-brakes.1618

Dont forget if it has the sensors then its: 1 sensor per axle

so only one side of the front or the rear axle pair will have it........ Done a set of rears last week and the sensor was on the drivers side. (no sensor on the passenger side)

Anyone know if the T5 T30 Highline 2015 has sensors? And if so will I have to replace if renewing discs/pads as though I read somewhere you do.

Anyone know if the T5 T30 Highline 2015 has sensors? And if so will I have to replace if renewing discs/pads as though I read somewhere you do.
You can transfer them if you haven’t worn into them but then if you haven’t worn into them you haven’t used your pads up and you’re wasting it.so The Brembo pads come with new sensors so it’s not worth changing the pads to early you might as well wait until the warning comes on.

so only one side of the front or the rear axle pair will have it........ Done a set of rears last week and the sensor was on the drivers side. (no sensor on the passenger side)
And, Murphy’s Law reminds us that the side without the sensor will wear first!!!

You can transfer them if you haven’t worn into them but then if you haven’t worn into them you haven’t used your pads up and you’re wasting it.so The Brembo pads come with new sensors so it’s not worth changing the pads to early you might as well wait until the warning comes on.
Hi Loz
My issues are;
a) Discs are badly worn but not so pads (last owner I guess didn't notice :confused:
b) Considering fitting yellow stuff pads and EBC discs. Presume these don't come with the sensors, but also presume they won't cause any problem except for won't get warned of wear?

Would your advice be to stick to Brembo for any reason? I know they do coated discs which I'd like but was also hoping for 'lowish' dust pads.

Thanks
Brian

If you change the disks then you need to change the pads as well.
Low dust pads tend to be much harder like the EBC yellows but these also take a while to get up to temperature and are scary in the wet and cold.

Yep realised they should all be changed together

Had heard scare stories about the green stuff ones but haven’t realised it was a ’thing’ with all harder discs. Is this personal experience Loz? As on their link below EBC reckon they have excellent ‘cold bite’ and ‘high friction‘ from cold!

if I revert to Brembo do you know if a halfway house, bit harder, pad exists that will help with the dust issue? And do you have experience of the coated Brembo discs?

Thanks

Yes, personal experience. Used to run green stuff with slotted and dimpled disks on a discovery but you need more brake pressure to get them to work.

Had heard scare stories about the green stuff ones but haven’t realised it was a ’thing’ with all harder discs. Is this personal experience Loz? As on their link below EBC reckon they have excellent ‘cold bite’ and ‘high friction‘ from cold!
Thanks Loz, Yes I see what you mean but EBC don't make these statements about the green stuff pads so far as I know hence why I have been considering the yellow ones.

Last edited:

Beggars belief,

Although.. im sure when i looked i had a sensor for eahc side when it was on ramps..
Will be taking another look..

P.s. Where have all the 12V fridges gone on the internet? :( aha

As for noise - i get rear squeal all the time, but, i live in dusty country area, so, small stones etc are common. My pads and disks are fine. pads are about 60percent worn tho i reckon about now, but theyve been doing it the past 7k I've owned the beut for. Im looking at having to do pads before long, however.

Back