Noisy rear brakes

Deek

Hi Guys, I've recently bought a T6 kombi. It has only done 10,000 mls but the rear brakes are really noisy. It's the noise you get after washing it and then driving off the next morning and using the brakes for the first time. That grinding ruff noise, but I get it all the time. It gets better (quieter) but never goes. I took it to VW Wrexham the other day and as soon as I braked while in the car park with the machanic he said they all do that. They have noisy brakes. Is that right??

Mine does and always has. I have just got used to it. Might put dynomat on the outside of the rear arches to deaden it a bit.

Hi Guys, I've recently bought a T6 kombi. It has only done 10,000 mls but the rear brakes are really noisy. It's the noise you get after washing it and then driving off the next morning and using the brakes for the first time. That grinding ruff noise, but I get it all the time. It gets better (quieter) but never goes. I took it to VW Wrexham the other day and as soon as I braked while in the car park with the machanic he said they all do that. They have noisy brakes. Is that right??
More VW technician bullshit. Mine don't make any noise once any surface contamination has been worn off after a couple of breaks.

Deek
Did you sort the issue?
My new kombi arrived and has exactly the same issue
Ta

My kombi is the same, however i never noticed it until recently. I have not been working so had mrs and son in car alot so I dont have music on as loud, so cant say if its always been there. Only done 8000 miles so cant be due to wear.

The truck is booked into the dealers in the new year to have some roof bars fitted. Ill get their opinion and let you know the outcome.

I took mine in to make them clean both the pads and discs. They did it for free luckily. I was really annoyed how blasé they were that my rear brakes sound like they’re made from rocks. I too was told that it’s fine and it’s common even though my first knackered Renault Megané never even made those noises. But what made me laugh was VW telling me to drive with my handbrake half on till the noise stopped. Nice One VW Norwich!!!!

Obviously the brake bias is heavily set to the front considering I do a lot of driving/braking and the surface corrosion still appears.

I find VW Wrexham are a complete waste of time. Been waiting since October 17 for my leaking Kombi windows to be fixed under warranty.
Cant believe its taken 3 months and still not sorted.
My rear brakes also squeak but I'll take mine to VW Birmingham.

@Mfwic you just beat me to that comment vw Wrexham are a waiste of space, waiting for them to sort my side window out apparently ordered me window just awaiting a fitting slot and I took mine in after yours

Truck booked in for Monday so ill post an update. Also, heres a strange one....drivers seat belt bottom mounting seems loose as it rattles around. It looks like there a spacer missing or something, its the only one without a black plastic cover to hide the bolt too...does the plastic keep everything tight so to speak????

@Mfwic you just beat me to that comment vw Wrexham are a waiste of space, waiting for them to sort my side window out apparently ordered me window just awaiting a fitting slot and I took mine in after yours
I'm going to see if VW cars in Shrewsbury can carryout my service as I really don't want to give Wrexham my business.

Just had a tyre repaired and the guy spotted severely uneven brake pad wear - inner pad around 8mm, out pad less than 3mm.
Taking it in to be sorted - I reckon it might be a binding/sticky caliper.

Also had mine laser aligned and it was well out; they couldn't adjust one of the settings either. I reckon the T6 is a bit of a PITA for wheel alignment and brake wear. My fronts were horribly worn on the outer edges at 6800 miles so I replaced them - ours is 4Motion so wear should be much more even. The rear tyres were barely worn so I sold them.

I had brake pads replaced with TRW Cotec pads by an expert Japanese mechanic who said in Japan they always chamfer the leading edge of new pads otherwise they're inclined to squeal. Japanese cars brakes never squeal and neither do my T6's now.

@Dannyb6467 Shrewsbury VW said they wouldn't turn my service light off or service my van because I didn't buy it from them and they don't do commercial. Their loss!!

Bilston it is then. Their work has been ok but the journey to and from them is horrible, especially during rush hours.
Cheers Chaps.

Back