Bloke knocks on door and offers to etch my windows... Dodgy?

Ironic that he has his hand tattooed and would be easily identifiable, either innocent or f’kin stupid not to wear gloves.
Correct - innocent is the answer. I’m his daughter, just my old man making his living to support his family like everyone else! He’s been in this job for over 25 years, he’s a good man… I wish people would just approach him and ask him, or better just politely decline his services and go about your day… instead of damaging someone’s business behind a keyboard and posting mug shots and personal details like he’s some sort of criminal…

Imagine posting an innocent persons address and personal details into an online forum where bizzare accusations are being made…. Please do better be kinder…
Thanks for setting the record straight.
In many areas of the UK "cold calling" was banned years ago by some (not all) local authorities for a variety of good reasons.
Whilst your Dad is a legitimate business owner, many who knock on doors uninvited are not.
Criminals would knock on doors in order to find out if anybody was in or to find out more about the people who lived there, their cars, CCTV, alarms etc. Many people were victims of burglary, theft or other crimes soon after such cold call visits so some people are now justifiably suspicious of cold callers.

Correct - innocent is the answer. I’m his daughter, just my old man making his living to support his family like everyone else! He’s been in this job for over 25 years, he’s a good man… I wish people would just approach him and ask him, or better just politely decline his services and go about your day… instead of damaging someone’s business behind a keyboard and posting mug shots and personal details like he’s some sort of criminal…
Have a word with your Dad and let him know how his business development approach is leaving potential customers feeling a bit “twitchy”. Maybe there are some improvements to be made - like joining one of the trade umbrella organisations.

According to one guy who met him, its suspected he may like dags

Better to know these people are around and keep an eye out than be an unsuspecting victim.

That's the only other pic I can find. There was a video of him talking the talk to someone but it's gone. He was driving a Volvo XC60 but his car probably changes twice daily. You'd think if someone was etching windows legitimately they'd have a van or some sort of advert, business card, uniform... I run the risk of stereotyping people but this guy looks and acts exactly like someone who wants more than your garden gnomes.

View attachment 105576
Literally carries business
No home number on his card then! highly dodgy
Or he just doesn’t want to give his families home number away knowing there’s paranoid freaks who post peoples personal details on online forums??????
Thanks for setting the record straight.
In many areas of the UK "cold calling" was banned years ago by some (not all) local authorities for a variety of good reasons.
Whilst your Dad is a legitimate business owner, many who knock on doors uninvited are not.
Criminals would knock on doors in order to find out if anybody was in or to find out more about the people who lived there, their cars, CCTV, alarms etc. Many people were victims of burglary, theft or other crimes soon after such cold call visits so some people are now justifiably suspicious of cold callers.
Completely understandable, you can never be too sure of strangers nowadays. However, it’s frustrating seeing my Dads face and personal details including my families home address plastered allover the internet alongside bizzare and harmful accusations. I understand people are concerned/paranoid but they should just decline the services and contact the police if they’re that worried. All these accusations on here are radical and untrue and hurtful for my Dad to see whilst he’s trying to work hard to provide for his family. It’s especially shocking to see all these comments were posted during a national pandemic where self employed and businesses had been struggling to recover as it is! He has a wife, four kids, his registration plate is his FULL NAME, he wears a uniform, provides business cards. Not sure what more people want. Defamation is a criminal offence… please just be more mindful and considerate.

Have a word with your Dad and let him know how his business development approach is leaving potential customers feeling a bit “twitchy”. Maybe there are some improvements to be made - like joining one of the trade umbrella organisations.
I’ll give that one a miss thanks, he doesn’t need a pep talk. Generally speaking he’s very successful in his business and has been running it for over 25 years. So asside from the minority group of paranoid people that slander him online he’s done a great job at supporting his wife and giving his 4 children everything they need and more. The saying goes you can’t please everyone! But our family would appreciate less of the slander, thank you.

I’ll give that one a miss thanks, he doesn’t need a pep talk. Generally speaking he’s very successful in his business and has been running it for over 25 years. So asside from the minority group of paranoid people that slander him online he’s done a great job at supporting his wife and giving his 4 children everything they need and more. The saying goes you can’t please everyone! But our family would appreciate less of the slander, thank you.
That’s the great thing about advice: you can take it or leave it. It’s no skin off my nose either way as it isn’t a line of business I’m in. If a post is causing offence, please feel free report it and an administrator will have a look.

He has a wife, four kids, his registration plate is his FULL NAME, he wears a uniform, provides business cards. Not sure what more people want. Defamation is a criminal offence… please just be more mindful and considerate.

None of the pics in this thread show a bloke wearing a uniform?
Which guy is your dad? Mark It?

our family would appreciate less of the slander, thank you.

No one had uttered a word about this for two years, then you bring it to the top of the thread pile. The handful of people that had commented back in 2021 will have completely forgotten about it. I'm not too sure how or why you found these really old posts, or what you intended to achieve by dragging it all up. It might have been better to leave sleeping dawgs lie.

This is my Dad, he’s definitely not dodgy… just my old man trying to make his living!! I know times are scary at the moment and you can never be too trusting of strangers nowadays, but plastering photos, personal details and accusations allover an online forum can be so detrimental to someone’s business. Please do better, and be kinder… he’s only trying to make a living like the rest of us. Thank you
Anyway...put some pics of your T6 up....we love vans here!

Hi all,

I ended up here after googling for this. When I read this thread it honestly made my heart drop. The similarities and the obvious recognisable FACE! I just need people to know that this is happening and is real. After a 2 year hiatus this group is now working in the Derbyshire area again.

Keep an eye out for any of these three below in your area, (don't know who they are!) they will cold call, give you the same old spiel about theft and that your vehicle is nice but easy to steal etc etc. Try and get you on side and then in a few weeks your vehicle may or may not disappear.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 14.32.03 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 14.32.03 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 14.32.03.jpeg

Last edited:
Just read this whole topic, I'm surprised someone comes on here pretending to be his daughter and say what a hardworking and lovely man and he is and people actually fell for that!

If there is a genuine concern surely it’s a matter for the Police not social media. Somebody must have got one or more of their vehicle registration numbers or asked to see their viable ID when they made house calls.
Social media is taking the place of the twitching net curtain brigade.

Round here the police is only really interested if someone has physically been hurt, anything else they haven't got the time!

Same bloke came to my door offering etching and eyeing up my car. Reported the matter to the police and passed along the details of the car he was driving.

Hello all,

Like a few others, a Google search led me to this thread.

Had this chap knock on the door today in the Leeds area and again like others offered to etch my windows.

After reading this thread I will be informing the relevant authorities with vehicle details.

1713315806301.png

Back