Bloke knocks on door and offers to etch my windows... Dodgy?

You wouldn't think they would be daft enough to sit outside the house,with the engine running and lights on,though.
Would you?
There are actually another 4x transporters within 500yds of mine(although mines the newest)
Also a couple of new work vans..possibly laden with tools.

Anyway..the vans still here,and I've got a bloke coming round this afternoon,to install extra security measures.
I can't do any more.

Anyway..the vans still here,and I've got a bloke coming round this afternoon,to install extra security measures.
I can't do any more.
Oh I don’t know....razor wire, remote activated machine gun....ok, the postie won’t thank you for it! You’re right though, there is only so much you can do without hitting paranoia.

You wouldn't think they would be daft enough to sit outside the house,with the engine running and lights on,though.
Would you?
There are actually another 4x transporters within 500yds of mine(although mines the newest)
Also a couple of new work vans..possibly laden with tools.
Put a hi vis on look natural and no one blinks an eye

If he is on your property and your suspicious of his story , then of cause you can share pictures we all get filmed in our high streets etc, good on ya!

People are wound very tight nowadays and they quite often are there own worst enemy with these things as they work themselves into a frenzy.

Do I think he is a dodgy bloke... yes

Would I say he was involved in crime... yes, most likely fraud

Do I think there is an organised crime group planning to heist your van off your driveway.... no

As Dave has rightly pointed out, proper thieves are (for the most part) very low sophistication opportunists. The stories of organised crime groups using high tech planning and tactics to steal vehicles is an illusion that people like to use to cover the fact that they quite often have been complacent - leaving keys by doors, leaving car doors unlocked, not having basic CCTV etc.

Are there gangs who target cars to order - yes, however they are not some fast and the furious style, they are usually very poor and low skilled migrants who take their chances with quick thefts. Cars are nearly impossible to ring effectively at any worth while scale nowadays, so they are either stolen for local use, exported or broken down for parts.

Fit a PIR light, get a Ring or some basic CCTV and report pictures (and numbers plates!!) to the Police so that officers can deal with these vehicles when they pop up again.

@Tic tac Hope this helps, I know it's small comfort but I'm speaking with a fair bit of experience here.

Last edited:
Half the worlds population are trying to screw the other half over. It‘s called Capitalism, you just have to work out who’s on which side first.

There's always the possibility,the blokes,just trying to earn a crust.
You could be right, but if I want my windows etched / drive tarmacked / trees trimmed / lucky heather / dusters (you get my drift, I'm sure!) I'll do a bit of research and arrange it, it's not hard to do. If I haven't it's because I don't want whatever it is.
I don't want some random stranger arriving unannounced and uninvited at my house trying to sell me whatever it is. It's bloody rude and I respond accordingly. I usually start by telling them that to enter the village they must have driven past a "no cold calling" sign.
There are many ways to earn a crust that don't involve intruding into people's daily lives.

You could be right, but if I want my windows etched / drive tarmacked / trees trimmed / lucky heather / dusters (you get my drift, I'm sure!) I'll do a bit of research and arrange it, it's not hard to do. If I haven't it's because I don't want whatever it is.
I don't want some random stranger arriving unannounced and uninvited at my house trying to sell me whatever it is. It's bloody rude and I respond accordingly. I usually start by telling them that to enter the village they must have driven past a "no cold calling" sign.
There are many ways to earn a crust that don't involve intruding into people's daily lives.
Funny that - they seem to bugger off pretty quickly when they hear my Irish accent! Wonder why?!!

This is my Dad, he’s definitely not dodgy… just my old man trying to make his living!! I know times are scary at the moment and you can never be too trusting of strangers nowadays, but plastering photos, personal details and accusations allover an online forum can be so detrimental to someone’s business. Please do better, and be kinder… he’s only trying to make a living like the rest of us. Thank you

Back