Bloke knocks on door and offers to etch my windows... Dodgy?

@Tic tac roumer has it the same guy has done it again in Chesterfield and got away with a land rover. According to the people who have opened the door to him, they say he seems to be fiddling with something with his hand up his sleeve... maybe some sort of scanning device hoping the keys are near the door. I don't know how this technology works but it's a but the hand in sleeve thing is a bit suspicious.

Did he like dags

According to one guy who met him, its suspected he may like dags

@Gazbadge I'm 1 junction south of Chesterfield
paranoid as f##k now

Better to know these people are around and keep an eye out than be an unsuspecting victim.

Top photo doesn't look like him,but the bottom one does(minus the tash)
Got any more pics?

That's the only other pic I can find. There was a video of him talking the talk to someone but it's gone. He was driving a Volvo XC60 but his car probably changes twice daily. You'd think if someone was etching windows legitimately they'd have a van or some sort of advert, business card, uniform... I run the risk of stereotyping people but this guy looks and acts exactly like someone who wants more than your garden gnomes.

IMG-20210225-WA0006.jpg

That's the only other pic I can find. There was a video of him talking the talk to someone but it's gone. He was driving a Volvo XC60 but his car probably changes twice daily. You'd think if someone was etching windows legitimately they'd have a van or some sort of advert, business card, uniform... I run the risk of stereotyping people but this guy looks and acts exactly like someone who wants more than your garden gnomes.

View attachment 105576

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a...........

The biggest risk with his sort is if nobody answers the door.
If he gets no reply it's open season. As a Detective I used to visit prisoners to interview them in jail about other crimes. Burglars told me the easiest way to find out if you're in is to knock the door, if you answer they've got a cover story (window etching?) and if you don't it's game on, the keys are most likely in there waiting to be picked up.
I don't say this to worry people but look, you're already suspicious of him, always trust your instincts, these wasters prey on the unwary.
I've had his sort knock on my door offering to tarmac my drive / trim my trees etc, my wife cringes at how I speak to them, to be fair it would be criminal if it was in a public place!
SWMBO doesn’t cringe when she hears me respond (unless the kids hear it too!) but is just grateful that it was me who answered the door! (By the way, my Irish accent is real and somehow helps reinforce my message.....I wonder why!!!)

Should have kicked him in the nuts, then set your dags on him.
Best ever was when approached by a “lucky heather” seller in the high street was to give a response in “traveller speak”.....SWMBO was baffled and wondered what I had said so quietly that made the seller/beggar go pale and leave so quickly!!! (In English: “Stop being a fool or I will tell the priest what you are doing!”)

We had someone knock the door recently asking if we wanted the leaves clearing from the gutters - the closest trees taller than our house are 400m away. I said no thank you!

No, it has to rhyme with “duck”!!!
Semantics, dear boy, semantics ;)...... Or is it phonics..? o_O Alliteration...?? o_Oo_OOh I don't know! What I do know is that thieving toe rags should have their hands chopped off and fed to the dogs! (Or is it dags?)

I had a bloke knock on the door and offer to clean out the moss and grass that was growing in our gutter.

I thanked him for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed and said I would get the ladders and clean it myself straight away.

I had a bloke knock on the door and offer to clean out the moss and grass that was growing in our gutter.

I thanked him for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed and said I would get the ladders and clean it myself straight away.
"I'll get my ladder off the van and clean your gutters out, while I'm up there I can get a better look into your bedroom windows and see if you've got anything I can easily sell on".

Tow truck parked across the driveway.
Engine running,lights on...could hear him,on the phone.
Went out..he pulled further up the street.
No reg on the back.

• Wow
Reactions: JOG
No reg on the back.
That sounds very dodgy - I would have followed him up the street and asked he needed directions!

No reg on the back.
That needs reporting or move your van to a mates...

Back