Battery Charger - Change Crocodile Clips for 12V 'Lighter' Plug

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I think I need assurance / a sanity check from the electrical experts. Along with a lot on here I’ve got a CTek MX5 charger fitted with a 12V (cig lighter) plug on a connector that can be swapped for the usual large crocodile clips for attaching to the starter battery terminals. I tend to just plug the former into a 12V socket on the dash and leave it there whenever parked up at home to keep the starter battery topped up – the other end is plugged into the van 240V fed from the EHU (both 12V sockets on my van are permanently live) – I’ve been doing that for almost 4 years now without any issues.
I’ve also got a cheap Aldi Auto XS ‘smart’ 5A charger that I keep in the van for trips away and on a couple of occasions have used it to top up the starter battery when we’ve been parked up in one place for a while and it’s charge has started dropping. It was cheap and while I wouldn’t want to leave it hooked up all the time, I think it’s good for the odd top up and saves having to run the engine. The problem with the Aldi charger is that it only has hard wired crocodile clips and I prefer the more convenient route of plugging into the 12V socket. I was thinking about cutting the crocodile clips off and replacing them with a 12V plug - something like this which is supposed to be 15A and is already wired. Would that be OK?
I’m also wondering what to use to connect it to the charger. I was thinking about just using a couple of Wago 221 in-line connectors but am conscious of the fact that they will be exposed unless I wrap them with tape. I could also use insulated ‘bullet splice’ crimp connectors but guess they would also need wrapping. The other issue with that approach is that I’ve only got a cheapo crimping tool (the cheapo ‘£7 flat 2mm steel’ type). As an alternative, can anybody advise on a suitable detachable connector (similar in function to those used by Ctek) with screw rather than crimped terminals (due to the lack of decent crimper). For what it’s worth, the charger and cable will only ever be used indoors.
As always, thanks in advance.

Youve already got a cig plug on the CTek if I understand correctly and it can be swapped out with crocdiles presumably as below?

All you need then is something to be able to connect the existing CTek cig plug to the new one.

What is the end of the Ctek cig plug look like?

If it looks like this:
1713970085228.png

Then just get something like a small Ctel extension cut this bit off and then wire that to the new charger. Then you have one cig lead to do two jobs.1713970112142.png

I am sure if you add location someone would be able to help with quality crimping however ideally a nice soldered joint and heatshrink would be best.

@archersam. Thanks for the response. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough but I'm actually looking for a separate 12V cigarette plug rather than the one that I have on my Ctek as that gets used when we're away from home (keeping the other car battery topped up on the drive for what might be 5 weeks away (I've also got one of there 2M extensions). That's why I thought of adapting the other charger which sits in the van unused most of the time. In any event, to use any of the Ctek cable, I've still got to splice something to the other charger so thought it might as well be a 12V plug.

@Ayjay Do you have a heat gun?
Solder splices are good for joining wires, will give a good connection and environmentally seal.
Nothing wrong with what you are proposing.
You can also actually buy 12v cigarette plugs with screw terminals.

@EAN. Thanks for that - I've ordered some solder splices and the plug with fly lead which should be here tomorrow.

@Pauly - I suspect that will be the fallback when I find that the heat gun also melts the plastic sleeving on the cheap cables that they used on the charger and/or 12V plug that I've already ordered!

i
@Pauly - I suspect that will be the fallback when I find that the heat gun also melts the plastic sleeving on the cheap cables that they used on the charger and/or 12V plug that I've already ordered!
f you've access to a chefs torch or hobby/smaller gas torch then try that OR even a really good hairdrier but that might take ages. Some of the heat guns have a metal shield to direct it into a rectangle shape so that could aid the focus away from the cables etc

Some of the heat guns have a metal shield
@archersam - I've got one of those but never thought to use it! I've also got a couple of 'turbo' BBQ lighters which push out a very hot focussed flame that might also do the job. I'll have to do a bit of testing. As the old saying goes 'every day's a school day'.
@JumpShip. Not all vans can and I think depends on whether you have a factory fitted second battery (which I don't). The easiest way to find out is plug a phone in - if it starts charging with ignition off, the starter battery should take a charge from the MX5. It's a very convenient way to charge the battery but permanently live can also be a pain in the aris as it's possible to leave something plugged in by mistake and potentially drain the battery. It's not happened to me yet but one of these days.....

Yes ours is permanent live ....but the ability to charge the battery using that as an input never dawned on me .

Yes ours is permanent live ....but the ability to charge the battery using that as an input never dawned on me .
It's ideal if you have hookup, you can charge the LB and then charge the SB from the internal socket, so just one cable going to the van.

Just keep it low amps, like 5a - 12v sockets get hot with anything over 10a.

Back