Battery And Charging Advice Appreciated

Why not just hard wire the Victron into the van & leave permanently connected to the battery?

That does make more sense, although I think I'll get an auto electrician to put it in for me. Next week hopefully - I'll update, thanks for the advice all.

Update, the Victron Battery Charger is now (semi) hard wired in, utilising the 240v socket and currently charging through hookup, the phone app is saying (wait until I go to the front door, the bluetooth isn't in range....) it's on a recondition charge, 14.55v / 0.8A. I'll leave it until tomorrow morning and see if anything improves.

The first mechanic said he couldn't touch my van because the Sargent unit was next to the gas manifold which is illegal apparently, no idea but that was him out, the next mechanic said he couldn't hard wire the charger into the Sargent because he doesn't do 240v....
I'm hard wired onto the battery terminals and he's managed to tuck the extension lead to the charger quite neatly under my units to the charger under the seat where the mains plug goes up the side of the unit to the 240 socket, it's a neat job. I've pulled the fuse for the charger out the Sargent although I think as long as I keep it switched off it will have the same effect.

Charger App now saying "Float" "Keep battery at constant voltage and fully charged", Voltage 13.80v Current 0.4A.

I'm taking this as a good sign, I might switch everything on (fridge, heater and lights) tomorrow and see how it performs.
Given the short duration (3hrs or so) since switching it on does this mean my battery might have been in a decent state of charge anyway? I'm also wondering whether I should remove the hookup now that it's charged up, and how often I should do this?

Last edited:
Charger App now saying "Float" "Keep battery at constant voltage and fully charged", Voltage 13.80v Current 0.4A.

I'm taking this as a good sign, I might switch everything on (fridge, heater and lights) tomorrow and see how it performs.
Given the short duration (3hrs or so) since switching it on does this mean my battery might have been in a decent state of charge anyway? I'm also wondering whether I should remove the hookup now that it's charged up, and how often I should do this?
Have you selected the correct charging profile for your battery? If so, then leave it on, it won’t hurt.

Reactions: KR.
Have you selected the correct charging profile for your battery? If so, then leave it on, it won’t hurt.

I'm not keen on leaving it 'plugged in' overnight on my drive but will certainly have it on charge far more, I should manage several days a week easily enough. I noted the battery app was indicating that my battery was fully charged and the charger was in 'storage' mode, it's sitting at 12.7v in the morning now after being charged the night before and unplugged before I go to bed so initial indications are good. I'm due to go away for the night soon so will see how it goes. Thanks all for advice and info.

Back