Anyone added a caravan to their T6?

Threads merged

Does anyone tow a caravan? How does your van drive/manage on motorways and inclines?
We’ve got a T28 hoping to stay for much longer breaks but don’t want to sell the T6.
What are your experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some engine and transmission info on your van would be very useful for anyone replying.

I have a 204ps T6.1 4Motion with DSG .... it tows like a dream - I don't tow caravans, but large enclosed trailers like this, usually heavily laden ...

1661938483472.png

We tow our caravan on longer trips.

Its a T6 6 speed manual Diesel T32 4 Motion with a Revo Stage 1 Remap to 190PS / 187bhp.

I just have to change down the box on very steep inclines.

BB703438-30C5-4C55-824B-C303D61FAC96.jpeg

This is our van….VW transporter Highline SWB T28 102PS 2.0 TDI 5sp manual.
Any comments pros & cons all helpful

@Chris Sherwood, going off topic slightly, how do you get the canoe on the roof bars? In theory we have bars and a roof that'll take the canoe but I'm not sure about lifting 40 kilos of boat on without scraping paint!

Its not cheap but it does allow me to load a canoe on my own.
I was thinking of putting a similar rack on my Reimo roof but I’m wary of side loading the roof despite it being strapped down.
Do you see any movement when the weight is on one side?

I was thinking of putting a similar rack on my Reimo roof but I’m wary of side loading the roof despite it being strapped down.
Do you see any movement when the weight is on one side?

No I don't. I am more worried about the uplift of the canoe at 60mph! ;)

Does anyone tow a caravan? How does your van drive/manage on motorways and inclines?
We’ve got a T28 hoping to stay for much longer breaks but don’t want to sell the T6.
What are your experiences?
It's a commercial vehicle, designed for carrying loads and towing heavy trailers. The lesser powered models might not be as brisk as the higher powered ones up the steeper motorway inclines, but you won't be holding the lorries up. Don't forget that you are limited to 60mph when towing anyway.

Watch the total weight too: "REIMO recommend no more than 35kg and SCA 70kg"
Certificate for my roof says 40Kg. I‘m fine for static weight but I know there is downforce with a upturned canoe.
Drag being exponential to speed, best to keep the speed down.
I’m more concerned with side loading than loading in final resting position.

Certificate for my roof says 40Kg. I‘m fine for static weight but I know there is downforce with a upturned canoe.
Drag being exponential to speed, best to keep the speed down.
I’m more concerned with side loading than loading in final resting position.
My canoe is 38kg on its own, before the roof bars etc!

7A23D378-59C4-451F-87D7-D15C1E5F9757.jpeg
T32 150 hp 6 speed manual. 1490 kg caravan, 200 kg motorcycle in the rear of van. 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways most of the time. Just driving home after a couple of weeks in Scotland. According to the dashboard computer it averages 25.5 mpg whilst towing.

Back