Towing a caravan: differences T6 & T6.1

carlg

204 DSG Highline Kombi MY23
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a caravan with atc trailer control, when I plug the caravan into my new 6.1 the atc doesn't light up straight away or go through the set up process. it takes probably 5+ seconds.
On my T6 it would kick in straight away.
So not sure if problem is with caravan or the 6.1 tow socket.
Any one else tow and noticed this.

Hi there, mine does exactly the same pal, don’t think there is an issue it just takes a couple of seconds to kick in

Hi there, mine does exactly the same pal, don’t think there is an issue it just takes a couple of seconds to kick in
Thought it was all ot slower on the 6.1 than the six.
Also it doesn't always work, we set off with a solid red light.
Arrived yesterday and it had gone green.

I’m away tomorrow towing the van with the van, so will keep an eye on mine and see if there are any issues.Is your towbar a factory fitted or after market one ?

I’m away tomorrow towing the van with the van, so will keep an eye on mine and see if there are any issues.Is your towbar a factory fitted or after market one ?
Factory fitted, plugged mine in to 12volt supply as alko suggest to re set the memory.
But still didn't wotk on my van, unplugged the lead for the unit under caravan, plugged back in and it worked.
Ready to leave yesterday and red again, but was green when we arrived.

Mine is a bit of a hit and miss on all vehicles I tow with. A good spray of brake cleaner I was told helps. Also if light is not going through cycle and then green or remains flashing green... I was told put handbrake on caravan and push back. Then try again. My brake lights also work initially then stop. When the service guy uses his test rig works everytime. I'm convinced it's the electrics on towing vehicle. Sounds like that is the case with yours if worked perfect every other time.

Back