Towing a caravan and carrying bikes.

Lynnietom

Hello knowledgeable people,
I tow a caravan with my T6 Goldie. When Goldie goes solo I have a tow ball mounted cycle rack but, obviously, when the caravan is on the tow ball I am stuck and can't take the bikes.
My question is - does anyone have a bike rack fitted on a tailgate AND tow a caravan? Is there enough clearance for manoeuvring?
Thank you for taking time to read and reply.

I have a 3 bike rack on the back of my caravan. Previously I did have a Thule towbar rack which allowed the tow ball to still be used but I was concerned with tow ball weight as my twin axle caravan is a good 80KG nose weight and the rack and bikes probably 40KG. That along with all the camping gear in the T5 was too much rear weight.

I did look at roof mounted racks but it was a pain getting my bikes on a Mondeo roof, let alone a Transporter. In the end I mounted a Fiamma rack on the rear of the caravan much to the disapproval of the caravan community. Too much weight on the rear they said, it'll snakel they said. I've done a lot of miles now and no issues as long as the rest of the van is loaded correctly. Every other caravan on the continent has them and they can tow at 120KMh too!

1691496171840.png

Reactions: JOG
Be careful mounting a rack to a caravan or mobile home. I stopped to help a couple a few years back who had a ‘professionally‘ fitted rack installed on their motorhome.
The self tapping screws had ripped out of the thin aluminium body and trashed the rack and bikes.

Hello knowledgeable people,
I tow a caravan with my T6 Goldie. When Goldie goes solo I have a tow ball mounted cycle rack but, obviously, when the caravan is on the tow ball I am stuck and can't take the bikes.
My question is - does anyone have a bike rack fitted on a tailgate AND tow a caravan? Is there enough clearance for manoeuvring?
Thank you for taking time to read and reply.
I just going through the process of prepping my van to tow a caravan (haven't bought one yet) so will follow this for ideas. What engine do you have out of interest? I've got the 102ps so having it remapped to make towing a bit easier.

We tow a small trailer and fitted a Thule caravan A frame mounted bike rack…..we had to choose the short version at 49 cm so to allow better turning….
It’s alternative option :)
IMG_2594.jpeg
fits 2 x e-bike

8BA70959-21E8-444B-924C-54FBECAE1CC7.jpeg

I just going through the process of prepping my van to tow a caravan (haven't bought one yet) so will follow this for ideas. What engine do you have out of interest? I've got the 102ps so having it remapped to make towing a bit easier.
Have a Search with ‘map 102’. There are people who will do it but there are known limits with a 5 speed manual gearbox and turbocharger.

It's a T32 automatic 2l I think. I wish I'd gone for a T30 as it makes servicing and MOTs easier as I could have used the garage down the road! Still, hindsight and all that.

Someone is pulling your leg. A T32 is no heavier than a T30, it can just carry more weight when loaded.

As for bikes, if they won't fit in the caravan, won't they fit in the van?

If it's a big van (mines 1900KGs) and you load up a lot in the T6 then I'd go for 150 rather than 102. Like many I take way more stuff than is needed camping.

I have DSG and drive it manually when towing as it's rare for me to get into 6th let alone 7th gear. At 56mph it's usually happier in 5th. I suspect a 102 wouldn't get out of 4th except downhill.

It's the weight limit on the garages ramps/lift thingies (technical term ) apparently.
The only restriction I’ve seen is the headroom on the premises when a van is fully raised.
If the weight of the van is a lifting restriction it’s the actual weight not the load capacity, either way the labour costs are the same.

Doesn't a T32 come under class 7 Mot if it's not a Kombi, Shuttle or Caravelle? Think I recall the T5 did.

Back