Mixing OEM and all season tyres

CAB

Leisuredrive Vivante
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Have wanted to graduate to all season tyres, even before the infamous 2021 snowed in campsite incident :whistle:

T28 camper with Claytons, getting on for 30k.

Had to replace the fronts urgently earlier this year, only tyres I could get were budget summers.

Back are still OEM Hankook, one side down to 3mm so looking to replace both, but in plenty of time to order the tyres I want.

1. Should I get All Seasons on the back? Or swap and put them on the front, and the budgets on the back? Would a reputable tyre place do this?
  2. Spare - change it now or later?
  3. 205 vs 215 - OEM and the new tyres are 205\65R16, any point using 215?
TIA.

I know you shouldn’t mix winter and summer tires…. I don’t know about summer with all season. Probably not advisable.

I’m going from 205 to 215 simply because you can run them at lower pressures and I think they look slightly better

Reactions: CAB
I know you shouldn’t mix winter and summer tires…. I don’t know about summer with all season. Probably not advisable.

I’m going from 205 to 215 simply because you can run them at lower pressures and I think they look slightly better
I read somewhere all season tyres should be all four wheels at once and although some garages still advise this it seems they will sell you an ‘axle set’. Money talks!

Personally I wouldn’t risk it - I’d look for a deal and do the four at once. BlackCircles tend to have regular deals for four bought at once.
It’s a big hit money wise but you don’t want to risk your safety or anyone else’s.

TyreReviews website is good and he just released an all season tyre shootout video on YouTube in the last week or two. Twelve different brands and the guy is a complete tyre nerd (which I totally get). He did say nobody should fit the budget all season, can’t remember the brand. It was good in snow… and nothing else at all. And wet breaking distance difference between best and worse was over 12m (three car lengths!) at just 50mph.

He also said that the Michelin cross climate 2 are better than half the dedicated winter tires now they’re so good in the snow. So I wouldn’t risk it.

He also said that the Michelin cross climate 2 are better than half the dedicated winter tires now they’re so good in the snow. So I wouldn’t risk it.

Good point.
And bonus points for adding a link!

Meant to add I also went 215 - hoped it might help a little with comfort what with it being a bit more mushroom profile but still within spec, and I think it does.

Reactions: CAB
Back