Hi @Skyliner33 & @Stay Frosty ,
Not all metal tins will block the RF from your key. This is all only valid if you have an active key. Ie one that starts the car without you inserting the key into anything, so your key is transmitting a signal and the scumbags use a relay device/extender to pick up that signal and pass it to the car so that the car thinks you are there with the key and will open the door. The scum have then got into your car and can effectively start it and drive away.
In order to stop this put your key as far as you can from the car (not 3 floors up adjacent to the drive though) and then put it in a lead lined box. Something like Farafix Car key Box or try out a couple of the bags and send them back if you can open the car with it inside. This website does show how a relay attack happens. The guy stands next to the front door and picks up your key signal with a small relay unit which passes that on to the car. The second guy gives an open door signal and the car is open.
There are lots of bags and boxes but not all of them work. Make sure you can return them and just try them until one works for you.

Hi @Sabre it was a keyless entry and ignition. Key in a metal box in the hall next to the front door, opened the car and started it.

Yup, too close @Skyliner33 . The signal got out, if that's the case move the box to the back door. It's a sad reality of a funky tech everyone wants. The scumbags get to take your car at will. Or put a ghost immobiliser on it and that should stop them driving it away at least.

Yup, too close @Skyliner33 . The signal got out, if that's the case move the box to the back door. It's a sad reality of a funky tech everyone wants. The scumbags get to take your car at will. Or put a ghost immobiliser on it and that should stop them driving it away at least.
Thanks. I sold the car though. :)

One thing I would advise in regard to ghost is don’t bother with the app/bt function get the install to disable it, one less risk of a security breach.

By the time its done needle sweep I've pressed my 6 buttons and we are good to go !

Interesting product and demonstration of a relay attack.

It’s simpler than that - because the bolt goes in the carrier rather than the wheel you can just use grips etc. to take the locking nut off without the key. Hence why people use the shroud that protects this.

I fully understand the need for the shroud, but am questioning whether one could use a normal aftermarket type of locking wheel nut which seem to have more key-lock varieties than the vw specific ones for Transporters (which seem more limited with 3 holes/lugs).

If thieves are nicking wheels then purchasing a spare locking wheel nut complete with simple key it must be easy to defeat.

So would (an inevitably) shorter locking wheel nut set work instead of the right hand bolt on a standard steel spare carrier?

Understood. Just gone out and measured mine, and it’s hard to be exact, but anything less than 75mm (thread and bolt head) would be too short I reckon. That’s with a 17” steel wheel in the carrier....

Hi @Sabre it was a keyless entry and ignition. Key in a metal box in the hall next to the front door, opened the car and started it.
Faraday screening gives very high attenuation but it isnt 100% ... unless you've a superconducting sphere with your keys aerial dead central. You could try earthing the metal box, to a radiator or mains earth...

Or a microwave oven. Place your keys in a microwave and close the door.

Works with mobile phones too.

I don’t know about everybody else but with my van being on b14s you cannot actually get the wheel out until it’s jacked up ?? even more so having a detachable towbar.so there you have it one other reason to lower your pride and joy. ;)

Back