Adblue - Information From Aa Recovery

Sooooooo........ because my brain doesn't do math...... when my thingy on the dash says 'AdBlue Range 1500 miles' how many litres of AdBlue do I put in without over filling the tank!!!!??????:confused:
It gives you a minimum and maximum amount to put in below the readout for how many miles you have left. The readout is in gallons. approximately 4.5 ltrs equal 1 gallon

Just filled mine. Readout said top up 1.5-2.25 gallon tried to put 10l in and it wouldn't take it all. Full after about 9l.?

9L = 1.98 gallons. So within the range the display suggested? o_O

I don't have Adblue on my van but I did work on Adblue injection at Cummins 10years ago. Here's some points.

• Running out won't affect your engine. It's only injected into the exhaust to mix with the gasses throught the DPF
  • Not sure what VW use, but most trucks have a sensor for adblue level and density. Thats to stop you filling it with water.
  • It only work when the DPF is over about 200degC, so you won't use any Adblue below that and hence you use less in the winter.
  • If you run out, the engine is not allowed to stop, but you will get reduced power to make you fill up.
  • Some manufactures won't let you start the engine without Adblue, but most just let you run with limited power.
  • Without Adblue, your NOx gasses are 5x higher than an normal engine and hence they force you to fill it up and have the system working properly.

I just buy it wherever I happen to be when I need it, wouldn’t be running around looking for the vw stuff

I’ve noticed now that I have 16k mikes it has slowed down topping up compared to when Van was new

Not noticed any fussiness with mine, i just keep topping it up from a 10 litre container when i think about it.
I have an Audi with the same 150 engine, and although newer than the van, doesn't need adblue, which makes me wonder what the van emissions would be without it. The van, of course has the potential to be working harder, which must increase the emissions.

Interesting...
Not sure what VW use, but most trucks have a sensor for adblue level and density. Thats to stop you filling it with water.
Looks like some related observations of a T6 in thread NOx sensor and Adblue faults codes

It only work when the DPF is over about 200degC, so you won't use any Adblue below that and hence you use less in the winter.
Checked a few VCDS recordings. It takes 3-4 mins driving at about 50km/h to get to the point when temperature is up and AdBlue injection starts (monitored ECU parameter IDE11219 Reducing Agent Injection Quantity [mg/s]). Outdoor temp about +10C.

The parameter above from the VCDS also tells that AdBlue injection turns off during DPF regeneration – makes sense?

I put 10 litres in mine and a day later engine light came on .
Had to have mine in at Wrexham vw and been stung for £173 with them saying I over filled it even though vw assist said I'd done nothing wrong

I'm a bit confused by the debate. VW sell a little connectable hose thingy specifically for filling up AdBlue. One end screws onto the VW AdBlue canister and the other onto your van's AdBlue filler cap. You then just tip the canister up and gravity does the rest.

It clearly says in the instructions that you must not overfill your AdBlue and that this little hose adapter is specifically designed so that the AdBlue stops running through it when your tank is at the correct filled level. Which it did do. It's also handy as makes it much easier not to spill or drip the stuff anywhere.

Volkswagen VW AUDI SEAT SKODA Genuine AdBlue filling hose kit 000012499 | eBay

I don't know but have heard that AdBlue pumps at petrol stations are way too high pressure (for HGV tanks) and the cut-off nozzle may not be at the correct level for us.

I've done two top ups now. It was extremely easy and had zero issues. Hopefully, I am not missing anything.

Last edited:
The display has a min and max amount displayed. I wait until it says max 10L or more and just put 10L in..

The display has a min and max amount displayed. I wait until it says max 10L or more and just put 10L in..
Thats what I do and just go to the local pump and put in £10 as it 99p per ltr. Works fine every time.

Just got dragged around Aldi and noticed that they now sell Adblue. It's in 6ltr bottles rather than the usual 10ltrs jars. So may be handy if you just need a smaller top up amount.
£4.99. @.83p per ltr.
IMG_20190104_161505.jpg IMG_20190104_161455.jpg

@Noddy996 .... sorry, don't know the answer to that. The 10Ltr VW AdBlue container I bought with the hose at the dealer had a very standard looking neck / thread though.

I never really know what the fuss is about AdBlue, as you use so very little of it, the cost differential is less than peanuts between suppliers

Fair point! I am keen not to overfill it, so will definitely go this route. Thanks for the link.

Back