**a Warning To You All**

The van is back in at the dealer, with explicit instructions that the "company clown" is not to drive it under any circumstances, and that any road test is done within working hours and not to be used for personal errands by staff! this has been agreed with the dealer principal, we are due a meeting when i collect the van; whenever that is.but when i was in discussing the issue, the service manager says "so what do we do if we can't locate the problem"? wtf... how am i supposed to know?

I'll keep the thread updated for all who are interested, the saga is far from over though...
I would think that they would need to escalate the problem to vw technical. Then if still not fixed you would start pressing for a replacement like for like van.

I would think that they would need to escalate the problem to vw technical. Then if still not fixed you would start pressing for a replacement like for like van.

Even if not purchased from them? Hopefully they can fix it, already been down the route of rejecting a car at Audi

**Update** Cops called and want the rest of the footage from the whole 2 days, they also want the van to laser test the speed it shows in comparison to the speedo and gps and cross reference with their laser. They obviously have a plan in mind. Just to call them when i get the van back from vw.

**Update** Cops called and want the rest of the footage from the whole 2 days, they also want the van to laser test the speed it shows in comparison to the speedo and gps and cross reference with their laser. They obviously have a plan in mind. Just to call them when i get the van back from vw.

I can only assume you live in a very low crime area for this to be treated with any kind of priority over real crimes that are being commited?

For instance, in the past 2 months I've had 4 vans broken into, 'peel and steal' jobbies that have caused many £1000's of damage, loss of livelihood for the poor employees etc, guess how many coppers turned up to watch the cctv and investigate these crimes?

You can get as uppity as you like about someone taking your van for a jolly, but it's no wonder this country is in the gutter when the Police have to deal with trivial matters like this that should be between yourself and the dealer. :rolleyes:

Whats the probability of a successful prosecution? All people are known and there is video evidence. They have to catch the tool thiefs first!

I can only assume you live in a very low crime area for this to be treated with any kind of priority over real crimes that are being commited?

For instance, in the past 2 months I've had 4 vans broken into, 'peel and steal' jobbies that have caused many £1000's of damage, loss of livelihood for the poor employees etc, guess how many coppers turned up to watch the cctv and investigate these crimes?

You can get as uppity as you like about someone taking your van for a jolly, but it's no wonder this country is in the gutter when the Police have to deal with trivial matters like this that should be between yourself and the dealer. :rolleyes:

it’s not a matter of a low crime area... tries to keep calm... the police have a duty... as we all do to make sure that we all have the right and ability to live in a safe place.. that means the roads too. When some tw@t drives in a manner that puts others at risk of injury or death, it becomes more important (please disagree with me) than the loss or damage to your van or the stuff inside. When a child or loved one dies and is spread all over the road by some careless driver, driving too fast, on the phone... is that less serious than a theft or damage to a van? 1782 deaths... funerals... parents... friends in the last year alone.... this is not a trivial matter....... more people die in traffic accidents than any other crime.
when someone takes your van and drives as described would you just say ..”oh well”?
Sorry yet another rant over...........

Ok, so you never speed right? How do you know it was being driven recklessly?

If only there were enough coppers on the streets in the first place then people wouldn't feel like they can drive like dicks and get away with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you have yours and I have mine. :)

My house got turned over 10 years ago, they systematically smashed the place up, beat my then puppy to within an inch of his life and left my wife with severe anxiety. We had to move house, kids had to change schools, I guess my idea on police priorities changed at that point.

I would never understate the absolutely devastating effect that any crime has on its victims, burglary being one of the most invasive and traumatic of most crimes, leaving fear and anxiety, anger and frustration at its consequences. I know this; I have seen far to many victims of all crimes over the last 35 years or so.

I have also met and spoken to far too many parents, wives and children of the tragic victims of traffic accidents telling them their loved ones won’t be coming home. I have also picked up too many innocent people off the roads and from inside wrecked cars who have died because of careless driving.... a flash moment of lack of concentration, 10 mph over in a rush to get home to the wife and kids.... it’s tragic for everyone.

We all talk about ‘white van man’, the idiot who drives too fast, tailgates, causes accidents. That’s exactly what this driver became (the description of the incident clearly shows its careless, reckless and possibly dangerous). I’d like to think that VW drivers don’t get categorised in the same way.

There will never be enough police to stop accidents because of the manner of driving, and accidents will always happen. But it really is ‘our’ responsibility to drive safely, paying attention, within speed limits, looking ahead.... and to set an example to others so when they see a VW being driven safely and with consideration they might do the same.

Not disagreeing with any of that, my point being nobody was injured, we all know speeding can lead to horrific consequences, but it didn't on this occasion.

He deserves a severe bollocking, no doubt about it, but I'm not sure it's Plod's job to waste tax payers money investing this 'crime' after the event, had the scrote got caught on a roadside speed check then great, but he didn't.

Not disagreeing with any of that, my point being nobody was injured, we all know speeding can lead to horrific consequences, but it didn't on this occasion.

He deserves a severe bollocking, no doubt about it, but I'm not sure it's Plod's job to waste tax payers money investing this 'crime' after the event, had the scrote got caught on a roadside speed check then great, but he didn't.

He was caught speeding by other means! I'm not sure it's Plod's job to waste tax payers money investing this 'crime - breaking into your 4 vans' after the event,
I had my dog killed by an idiot overtaking at double the speed limit, I was within inches of being hit myself. Thankfully this was investigated after the event and the driver prosecuted. I just cannot understand your rationale here. OK so you have a personal beef concerning the lack of action in your break-ins but these errant drivers are a menace to society and life as a whole and if action can be taken, as in this case, it should be taken.

I understand both PoV. If I was @Insert Coin I would be camped out at the police until they have done everything they can and I am satisfied with the effort. I would be emailing the chief superintendent and cc’ing the local mp.

In most of these instances you have to be tenacious...

He who shouts loudest and all that...

Sorry for both your troubles!!!!

Here's your definition of sec 178 RTA 88 offence. (Scottish TWOC) . Road Traffic Act 1988

Investigation into and with the companies insurance should, in my view also be carried out. Report it to the Police. Police will report it to the Procurator Fiscal. PF will make a decision as to whether it's in the public interest to prosecute through the court.

On aside, as an ex traffic cop, I'd have had no issue what so ever spending my time investigating this. These are the sort of morons that need their licence gone and a change of career. Sadly, I've seen similar incident with a customers car. Unfortunately, the result was an innocent member of the public being loaded into a hearse.

Last edited:

He wasn't caught speeding as a matter of course, plod are having to invest a lot more time retrospectively going through dash cam evidence, calibrating devices etc
My point being, if only they took that level of detail on all crimes committed rather than constantly persecuting speeding motorists, speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.

I drove from Poole to Birmingham and back last Friday, I didn't see a single police car, it was all policing by proxy, IE speed cameras catching speeders and not bad drivers.
Far easier to prosecute drivers remotely for being 10% over the speed limit no matter how carefully they drive or how empty the road may be.
Prosecuting speeders generates easy revenue, prosecuting thieves doesn't.
The Police don't have the resources due to government cuts we are constantly told, but break the speed limit and you'll feel the full force of the law.

If it isn't the Police's job to investigate the 'peel and steals' who's is it exactly? I'd gladly pay someone to sleep in a van for a few nights and catch them red handed, dish out a good hiding if I was allowed to.
We can't even have a yard dog like we used to back in the old days, we had no trouble with scrotes breaking into our yard when we had two dogs running loose at night.

4 guys lost their tools, their means to support their families, their opportunity to pay for these oxygen thieves benefits, not to mention a massive insurance claim on my behalf.
It would have been nice for the neighbourhood policing team to at least show up, see if there's any evidence, see if there were other break-ins that night in the area, you know actually do what police officers used to do and actually investigate a real crime.

I’m trying hard... but failed... Speed kills.... honestly it does!
speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.
Your all going to have to trust me on this one! Just a few mph over the limit (or too fast for the conditions and prevailing traffic within the limit) is the difference between life and death... I have too many heartbreaking memories of this that I would never want anyone else to bear.....

This shouldn’t be an argument... just accept it, drive better safer, slower where necessary....

Time to confess I am retired ‘plod’. Times change, police performance and resources change, some forces are better than others sometimes there are results, sometimes not, that’s just life and we can’t do a lot about it. But we can all think about how we drive and do everything to discourage poor and unsafe attitudes to driving.

I’m trying hard... but failed... Speed kills.... honestly it does!

Your all going to have to trust me on this one! Just a few mph over the limit (or too fast for the conditions and prevailing traffic within the limit) is the difference between life and death... I have too many heartbreaking memories of this that I would never want anyone else to bear.....

This shouldn’t be an argument... just accept it, drive better safer, slower where necessary....

Time to confess I am retired ‘plod’. Times change, police performance and resources change, some forces are better than others sometimes there are results, sometimes not, that’s just life and we can’t do a lot about it. But we can all think about how we drive and do everything to discourage poor and unsafe attitudes to driving.

I've seen the speed kills argument being both defended and opposed, I'm in the bad driving kills camp I'm afraid no matter how hard people try and convince me otherwise.

Back