Select Motorhomes Newton Abbot Devon

snowdrop

Peugeot Boxer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just sold my campervan (a Boxer not T6) through Select Motorhomes in Newton Abbot, Devon. They also sell VW vans.
In a nutshell, I can wholly recommend them.
A friend of mine was selling his van through a local firm in Sussex and I just didn't get the right feeling about using that local company, I was preparing the advert and considering Motorhome Depot when, purely on the recommendation of others gave Select motorhomes in Devon a call on the off chance that they were looking for stock.
They got back straight away and I sent photos of the van. A discussion on potential sales price was had, with both Simon the owner of the business and me being realistic about what the vehicle could achieve, being that it had some lovely extras, recent refurb, services, mot, low mileage etc
Phone agreement made, Simon said he would send someone up to pick up the vehicle immediately, I could hold on to the log book and spare keys.
So, a tiny bit unsure, I told Simon that I'd bring the van down myself if that was ok.

So a nice drive all the way to Devon, van running beautiful as ever, then....Honiton.... a major crash happened (car v digger) which then blocked the road for hours and hours. (Apparently this happens quite a bit on that narrow road)
Cleverly (so I thought) I eventually managed a dodgy reverse, cut through some back roads along with a thousand other clever people..Jesus, what a mistake, so when I arrived in Newton Abbot, via Mars, I was flustered and knackered to say the least and the van was covered in Devon cow poo looking a right state.

Arriving at the Select site you see just what a great plot it is, right on the corner of a busy road with load of footfall (car fall?) and easy to find.
It's clearly work in progress, (fishtank was just being installed that day in the customer area) but its clean, modern and feels very professional.
Two lovely dogs greet you as you go in.
Despite the state of the van, Simon was positive about it and dropped me off at the train station with a ticket, after minimal paperwork and a few cups of coffee .
A week later, the van was cleaned and brought up to pristine condition, they had found a buyer for the van and a few phone calls it had all gone through nicely, to a new owner for our beloved van.
Simple as that.
No buyers turning up at house or weird phone calls asking odd questions, no silly negotiation over little scuffs or whatever, all in all it couldn't have been better.

I cant comment on the van buying experience there, but I did see the way that several prospective customers were treated on the sales floor, and listened to how people were spoken to on the phone, it was really impressive, no slick sales patter just good people doing good business.
If I ever come back to vanlife I'd be very happy to have them source a vehicle for me and I hope this review helps someone else thinking of buying or selling there.

So, rather than selling your van to them, you effectively outsourced the sale of your van to them and they administered viewings and negotiated the sale, is that the model? If so, do they charge a flat rate or a percentage?

Reactions: JOG
So, rather than selling your van to them, you effectively outsourced the sale of your van to them and they administered viewings and negotiated the sale, is that the model? If so, do they charge a flat rate or a percentage?
I think that varies per van, I knew what I needed from mine, pretty relaxed about dealer profits etc sorry cant be more helpful on that.

Yes that was the model for me, but I dont know if thats the same for all

Reactions: Bav
Similar to estate agents but with less conscience and regulation, they are doing the ‘sold as seen’ for others who don’t want to.
I helped to get a friends fathers 3 axle motorhome running a couple of months back before the agent turned up and sold it on a few hours later. The van was a ’dog’, agent didn’t care he was just the man with the smiles and well practiced answers to probing questions.

EDIT: Not from Select Motorhomes, Newton Abbott.

Back