Insurance excess

Proberts

T6 Guru
I've had my van a yr and couple of days now. The day after I picked my van up from VW ( brand new ) a car bumped the van while I was in the house. He gave me his insurance details while wiping a tear from his eye apologising profusely and I went ahead with the claim. I phoned VW insurance as it was the drive away insurance and a few weeks later, it was back at VW Swansea having the repair done. After it was completed, I went down to pick it up and was told I had to pay the £400 excess and when the other party insurance pays out, I will get the £400 back.
Well, nearly a year later, after numerous phone calls to VW insurance, I still haven't had my £400 back. Any ideas of what I can do to get it back please ?

Did you have legal cover as part of your insurance?

Those guys are normally a 3rd party firm.

Maybe call your insurance legal team and ask for advice.

With things like that I prefer to do everything in writing - phone calls tend to have no record so that when you come to complain there is no proof available.
Had this with my electrickery supplier earlier this year, I had copies of all my correspondence to back up my eventual complaint to the Ombudsman.

In this case I would contact the other guys insurer direct rather than wait on VW getting their act together. ( You may find that they have paid up and it is VW dragging their heels )

The cynic in me thinks that VW probably have it and drag their feet in the hope you’ll forget about it.
However, the last bump I had-maybe 18 years ago-I got my excess back after maybe a couple of years. I’d totally forgotten about it so it was a nice surprise.

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted VW ins numerous times and it's been the same reply. Waiting for the third party to pay out. They always say they have to give them 2 weeks to reply and if not, they will take it further lol. I always say that's what you said last time and they reply by saying we'll get in touch with them again.

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted VW ins numerous times and it's been the same reply. Waiting for the third party to pay out. They always say they have to give them 2 weeks to reply and if not, they will take it further lol. I always say that's what you said last time and they reply by saying we'll get in touch with them again.
Few options:
- Call them, tell them you'd like to make a complaint. That will start a nice new process for them.
- Call the other insurance company to see what the real situation is.
- If you want to be a real PITA then issue a claim against the other insurer OR the driver - £50 which you may get back.

Back