**a Warning To You All**

Police for certain - at least he will get a speeding ticket for the 90mph+ on the cam. Still a TWOC though.

"the dealership is refusing to maintain his car after the footage was featured in a national newspaper"

o_O

Hang the scrote out to dry.
Kick up a stink when the dealer is busiest and threaten the police.
There's a payment to be made for having the van re serviced at another dealer. They need to agree that bill. it should also be valeted to showroom condition.

Different brand I know, but when I got my Vivaro back from the VX dealer after its first service and some recal work, I found that the power lead to my dashcam had been disconnected.

I'd be going mad if what happened to the OP,s van happened to mine.

The world seems full of peope who just don't care.

I’d start with posting the video on YouTube stating the name of the dealer no derogatory comments just the whole video with the audio tagging the dealership and vw uk along with your local police force.

then start making phone calls after that

Personally get free stuff from the dealer and report the law breaking little s**t to the police, supplying the evidence!

Driving around on a mobile phone, and at speed, KILLS people and kills them DEAD! This behaviour is not remotely acceptable and it will soon be illegal to use a phone at all whilst driving, quite rightly imho.

Dash cam footage is legally admissable and can be requested by police at any time so I doubt you would have any hassle from that viewpoint either.

Involve the police? really?! :laugh:

It's not unusual for mechanics, usually senior techs, to take a vehicle home to try and replicate a fault.

But they should ask your permission, they shouldn't let the tea boy drive it to McDonald's to get lunch obviously.

I'd certainly complain, tell them you're very peeved off about it and then depending on how they react I'd consider my next option/s.

Best case scenario is the driver gets a severe bollocking, you get a free service and everybody walks away reasonably happy.

Worst case and the dealer doesn't play ball then shame them on social media and see if VW are happy with the conduct of one of their main dealers.

But involving the police? just no, that's just crazy talk.

I agree. Police and solicitors is just over kill. Yes what they did was wrong and I would be well pisssed too. Talk to dealership, let them know your blood is boiling and get them to do the fitting on led's for free (its a long chance but worth it) and you'll walk away happy!

This used to happen now and then when I worked in local vw dealer, car would come in with an intermittent fault and a member of staff would use to see if it re occurred. We were under strict instructions on how it could be used ie no passengers and no food/drink to be consumed in it.

Shocking that this is how it had been used.

Notice last time my a4 was in for warranty work the sd card on the dash cam had been ejected and when I checked this was done before it went to the workshop so absolutely no footage whilst it was with the dealership.

I agree. Police and solicitors is just over kill. Yes what they did was wrong and I would be well pisssed too. Talk to dealership, let them know your blood is boiling and get them to do the fitting on led's for free (its a long chance but worth it) and you'll walk away happy!
Agree dealers should give some compensation for using the van in such a way but can not be held responsible for employee breaking the law whilst using it, that is where the police should be involved... and that is the real issue here.

Hi all thanks for your response, after travelling though the video footage for over 2 hours last night, absolute raging, so now I know the exact address of the driver, the address of his wee chum he took for a ride to do whatever “mission” they “accomplished” as they stated in one of the files!

On the basis that Thistle Inspection Solutions are based in Aberdeen, one can probably guess who the local dealer is.
Indeed you probably can, but I’ll refrain from shaming yet until I talk to the dealer principal.. but footage will be released along with all factual details.

anyway, I went into the police today for advice to get facts correct before approaching the dealer, spoke to a decent cop from the traffic dept and showed him the footage on my phone, he was shocked to say least, clearly hear the driver admitting he was “driving a strange vehicle and he was not on hands free” they advised that although the evidence is good, they could not do them for using the phone as they cannot be seen, had it been can facing they could have, also in regards to the speed they need to verify by previous cases, however they said to advise the dealer and ask them to explain their actions and determine if they driver is actually insured outside of work hours, as they say this be the simplest route to get a charge, again may be more but it’s being looked into.

I’ll be into the dealer tomorrow see what they say, but ideally want them to tell me they were not using the van on the Friday night and sat morning before I release the video to them, that way they admit no consent.. I’m going the route that my van was seen by a friend in a strange place with a strange driver at the weekend, see what’s said then.. I’ll keep you all posted to how the sorry episode pans out..

No wonder plod don't have time to investigate real crime if their time is being wasted on trivial stuff like this, a sense of proportion is required.

No wonder plod don't have time to investigate real crime if their time is being wasted on trivial stuff like this, a sense of proportion is required.
I don't think this is trivial, I have had close friend seriously injured by a d**k driving whilst using a phone... You have kids? Would you like them around carless, speeding drivers? Answer yes then that's fine, trivialise it, personally...

And not to mention illegal use potentially without insurance, send me a set of your keys I may need a van to use this weekend - trivial?

I would of called the cops, even if it was just to get a crime number in case I got a ticket or got reported for dangerous driving during that period.

I'm recently ex old bill. This is technical TWOC/TDA if it exceeds what was agreed upon for a road test (distance etc). The speed doesn't really come into it (apart from being outrageous) , although it could be argued that consent would not have been given if it was going to be driven like it was. It all relies on what was said to, or agreed with the dealer. For most vehicle offences there is a part which covers use/cause/permit. If you use it without insurance you are responsible, if you tell the driver as his manager to use it without insurance both the driver and the manager are guilty, likewise if the manager knows that it will be used without insurance outside of a road test or hours, he also permits its use even if he did not instruct the driver.

This case is all conditional upon certain parts and certain things. It's a bit early for a public hanging just yet. Me personally, I would be making a written agreement with them for lots of complimentary services etc especially if the MD or whatever knows of the sharp practices as use/cause/permit can go all the way to the top.

@widu13 pretty much as I’ve been told by traffic cops, dealer now has all the footage, to carry out full investigation? Cops want the footage and result of our meeting as they want to investigate insurance aspect.

says more about your morals than mine.

What dash cam was you using as most of the time they disconnect it and say it’s due to privacy laws

There aren't any laws regards overt recording of a non sexual nature. At least in England & Wales.

Back