A Pillar Trim interchangeability - T5.1 & T6 Cali

Also, did they come with the top and bottom retaining trim-pieces?

Need to find a clear pic of the top of the A pillar on a Cali and compare it.

The mk3 mirror arrived today and you can see why it solves the problem when you put it side by side with the T6 mirror
View attachment 26223

In the end rather than just use the stalk, I used the whole mirror from the Golf as it's a bit narrower and more than covers the slightly restricted view through the rear window caused by my units.
View attachment 26224
So that problem is solved, but there is no way the dashcam will fit anywhere at the top, so I fit it at the bottom of the screen or not at all. Hmm.

Considering doing this..... Really nice end result imo.

Given it wasn't exactly straight forward, if you were starting again, would you mod T6 pillars or still build up the T5s?

Considering doing this..... Really nice end result imo.

Given it wasn't exactly straight forward, if you were starting again, would you mod T6 pillars or still build up the T5s?
They still don’t make a T6 version (and they don’t make the T5 versions any more either so what’s out there is NOS) so if you were to start with T6 trims you would end up having to mod them much more extensively. It would be possible, but would involve cutting a section out and making a long thin box structure to hold the blinds when open. You would also have to find some way of cutting in the recesses for the handles and find a way of securing them open too. Probably the easiest and least fiddly way would be as I considered at the start, ie cut the bottoms off the T6 trims and graft them onto the bottom of the Remi trims. It would make lining up at the bottom easier and neater but they would still need covering to hide the join.

They still don’t make a T6 version (and they don’t make the T5 versions any more either so what’s out there is NOS) so if you were to start with T6 trims you would end up having to mod them much more extensively. It would be possible, but would involve cutting a section out and making a long thin box structure to hold the blinds when open. You would also have to find some way of cutting in the recesses for the handles and find a way of securing them open too. Probably the easiest and least fiddly way would be as I considered at the start, ie cut the bottoms off the T6 trims and graft them onto the bottom of the Remi trims. It would make lining up at the bottom easier and neater but they would still need covering to hide the join.

Yeah I've found a place to get the t5 trims still. They have pre 2010 & post 2010 options in my ...?

Still mulling it over atm. Wish reimo would just make some t6 versions!

It looks like you got the external profile right from the start so I assume it was the mounting hardware that was tricky??

Yeah I've found a place to get the t5 trims still. They have pre 2010 & post 2010 options in my ...?

Still mulling it over atm. Wish reimo would just make some t6 versions!

It looks like you got the external profile right from the start so I assume it was the mounting hardware that was tricky??
Yes I couldn’t find the difference between the T5 and 5.1 versions, but given I was going to slice and dice them anyway I went for the older ones which were quite a bit cheaper.
Yes mounting them is fiddly, though it would be easier with two people, but it was on the T5 too. I didn’t get the profile right first time, took three or four lots of fettling, but once I got it right on one side it was easy to transfer to the other. If you do do it, get it right in card before fibre glassing.

Yes I couldn’t find the difference between the T5 and 5.1 versions, but given I was going to slice and dice them anyway I went for the older ones which were quite a bit cheaper.
Yes mounting them is fiddly, though it would be easier with two people, but it was on the T5 too. I didn’t get the profile right first time, took three or four lots of fettling, but once I got it right on one side it was easy to transfer to the other. If you do do it, get it right in card before fibre glassing.
Most of the pics seem to show a straight up flush mount blind-blind in the centre but yours seems to form a square around the mirror. Is this just configurable as you slide the blind?

Your blinds started life as Reimo part #37409? Not #374090

Thanks for the help btw!

Most of the pics seem to show a straight up flush mount blind-blind in the centre but yours seems to form a square around the mirror. Is this just configurable as you slide the blind?

Your blinds started life as Reimo part #37409? Not #374090

Thanks for the help btw!
Yes #37409 that's correct.
All of the VW versions have 2 pivots on the right hand centre bar that bend as you get to the middle to go round the mirror stalk. I think the photos without are from a Ducato or Sprinter where the mirror doesn't mount to the screen.
I made a cover for the centre gap out of a little square of blackout curtain, with a slit in the top to go round the stalk and self adhesive velcro to mount it. Only about 6" square but blocks out that bit of light that gets past and lives in the glove box.

By the way, the hard part is getting the top and bottom rails that they run on fitted. Cut them too short and they don't reach, leave them at standard length and they're nigh on impossible to fit, certainly single handed. I got it right on my T5 but cut too short on my T6 and had to mod the lower centre mount with screws that fit into the hollow ends of the two tubes. I didn't like that and bought a piece of matching diameter rail to replace it, but 6 months on I haven't been able to face removing it all to refit it. If I do I'll add 3" tweeters to the base of the pillars and re-cover in that fake suede who's name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Alcantara. Sure I'm going senile and losing my memory!

By the way, the hard part is getting the top and bottom rails that they run on fitted. Cut them too short and they don't reach, leave them at standard length and they're nigh on impossible to fit, certainly single handed. I got it right on my T5 but cut too short on my T6 and had to mod the lower centre mount with screws that fit into the hollow ends of the two tubes. I didn't like that and bought a piece of matching diameter rail to replace it, but 6 months on I haven't been able to face removing it all to refit it. If I do I'll add 3" tweeters to the base of the pillars and re-cover in that fake suede who's name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Alcantara. Sure I'm going senile and losing my memory!

Anything you'd do differently if you were starting again beyond the tweeters & Alcantara?

I'm going to but a set of these now - look to be £200 on Reimo site atm.

Reimo - REMIfront windscreen blind VWT5, grey

Edit* - Meh cant actually order to the UK from Reimo site.

Last edited:
So how to the trims come off, do you just pull them out at the top after taking the grab handle off?

Back