A Pillar Trim interchangeability - T5.1 & T6 Cali

By the way, the hard part is getting the top and bottom rails that they run on fitted. Cut them too short and they don't reach, leave them at standard length and they're nigh on impossible to fit, certainly single handed. I got it right on my T5 but cut too short on my T6 and had to mod the lower centre mount with screws that fit into the hollow ends of the two tubes. I didn't like that and bought a piece of matching diameter rail to replace it, but 6 months on I haven't been able to face removing it all to refit it. If I do I'll add 3" tweeters to the base of the pillars and re-cover in that fake suede who's name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Alcantara. Sure I'm going senile and losing my memory!
Ok, 18 months has gone by and these have worked very well for me, but after deciding to keep the T6 for longer than I'd originally planned, it's time to use the long dark nights of winter to do a number of projects to improve life in the van, starting with phase 2 of these. As above, I have replacement aluminium tubing of the right diameter to redo the rails that the blinds run on, and while they're off I'll be fitting a pair of Audison AV 3" mid speakers (as seen in @StudleyGlass photo at the beginning of this thread, and also usd by @Fish I believe) as, since fitting the Kenwood 8910 and connecting up my JL Audio amp, there's been a fairly obvious big frequency response "hole" between the Rainbow 7" door woofers and tweeters. This will probably involve a bit more contouring round the base of the trims so I'll also be ripping the vinyl off and re-covering in Milano. Most of the stuff has arrived so should be starting work on these next week, photos to follow.

Slow progress on this due to time constraints, but this afternoon I've finally finished one side. Vinyl stripped off, hole cut for new 3" mid, reprofiled in fibreglass around the speaker mount, blind put back in, and then retrimmed in Milano. Very pleased with this fabric, it didn't look all that when it was on the roll but looks very suede-like when finished, not that you can tell in the photo. A bit more forgiving to work with than the vinyl too, mainly because of the stretch, though that does make it slightly harder to cut a sharp line.
Just got to do it all again for the driver's side, then cut the new rails and re-install it all.
IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

@andys did you use the foam backed milano or straight up? About to cover my 1st side.... Did you push it into the blind recess or cut a hole?

My attempt below....

IMG_20200321_213553.jpg IMG_20200321_213542.jpg

So decided to have a go as I have excess. Stretched it across the blind recess.

Came out OK I reckon. Few folds in recess corners if you look closely but they're mostly hidden by the blind.

IMG_20200321_232330.jpg
Probably need to paint the speaker grille....

Wow this stuff gets fingerprints.

Right, 2nd one done too now and also the upper trims. Fitted new Blam tweeters too. Pics of them in van:

IMG_20200328_143314.jpg IMG_20200328_143205.jpg MVIMG_20200328_143357.jpg

@andys is dead right that this is a complete bu**er of a job. They *can* fit a T6 with a lot of effort but it sure doesnt happen easily.... Anyway the end result is pretty good I think. The gap at the bottom of the blind is a bit annoying as a fair bit of light leaks through, might need to think of a way to sort that, I've read about a reimo baffle that solves this but never found it listed anywhere.

Interesting unlike @andys my stock mirror didnt need replacing - the blinds fitted fine with it as-is - perhaps some difference between the blind model and T6 variants (my blinds are the earlier t5 version and my van is a 2018 highline kombi).

Right, 2nd one done too now and also the upper trims. Fitted new Blam tweeters too. Pics of them in van:

View attachment 64195 View attachment 64196 View attachment 64194

@andys is dead right that this is a complete bu**er of a job. They *can* fit a T6 with a lot of effort but it sure doesnt happen easily.... Anyway the end result is pretty good I think. The gap at the bottom of the blind is a bit annoying as a fair bit of light leaks through, might need to think of a way to sort that, I've read about a reimo baffle that solves this but never found it listed anywhere.

Interesting unlike @andys my stock mirror didnt need replacing - the blinds fitted fine with it as-is - perhaps some difference between the blind model and T6 variants (my blinds are the earlier t5 version and my van is a 2018 highline kombi).
Only just seen this, top job @Ann3x :thumbsup:
I think the diiference is in the mirror fitted to your van, the stalk looks longer than the one fitted as standard in mine, so clears the blinds better.

I cheated and had mine done by a professional ;)

The thought did occur but then I thought nah, how hard can it be? Famous last words:mad:

I have seen the trim on a site called retrotrims. Let them do half the work at least :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The retrim was medium difficulty for me, the build out of the t5 pillars was a total pain.

End result in mine is good but not perfect. A pro would do better I think.

Back