A Good Snow Foam....

Yeah I was looking at that but wondered if I might need something taller. I’m not exactly short at 6’2” but would be good to be able to reach to the middle of the roof without draping myself over the side

You should be fine with one of those at 6’2”, I use one for the roof and can easily reach the middle, I’m 6’.

Does/has anybody carried out a pre-wash and a snow-foam clean without then going on to a contact wash (essentially becoming a pressure wash only)? As long as the shampoo is pH neutral, I'm guessing this is ok?
With rain and snow on the cards nearly every other day, I don't have the time to progress into a contact wash (i know it doesnt take that long, but work, homeschooling and a 10 month old baby really does eat up any free time!) so i need to wash down any debris that is picked up on weekly use - during a lunch break!! There's no real issue, right?
My van isn't ceramic coated. but does have a recent coat of Autoglym UHD wax on.
I've tried many times to achieve a half decent contactless wash, but never found a way that makes the van look good when dry. I also never dry the van if I haven't carried out a full contact wash, otherwise I'd be scouring the topcoat with fine grit.
If I've been driving on fields and it's very dirty, like today, I do sometimes just snow foam and pressure wash to get the worst of the dirt off, but the van doesn't look properly clean afterwards.
I think there's no such thing as a free lunch in car / van cleaning, if anybody can prove me wrong I'd be pleased to know how.

I want to spend the time on my bus - but just now, it's proving a challenge. I've also only just bought the van, so the neighbours are (socially distanced, you understand) regularly commenting and asking questions about it, so i am still in that honeymoon/ 'proud owner' period.... which may last a lifetime?

My van isn't ceramic coated. but does have a recent coat of Autoglym UHD wax on.
I've tried many times to achieve a half decent contactless wash, but never found a way that makes the van look good when dry. I also never dry the van if I haven't carried out a full contact wash, otherwise I'd be scouring the topcoat with fine grit.
If I've been driving on fields and it's very dirty, like today, I do sometimes just snow foam and pressure wash to get the worst of the dirt off, but the van doesn't look properly clean afterwards.
I think there's no such thing as a free lunch in car / van cleaning, if anybody can prove me wrong I'd be pleased to know how.
I don’t think there is a shortcut. But, as @Dan Morritz enquired, a quick blast to get the worst of the crud off is good enough when time precious. It’s nothing compared to the blast I’d get from SWMBO if I spent hours cleaning my van while leaving her holding a 10-month old!!!!

I don’t think there is a shortcut. But, as @Dan Morritz enquired, a quick blast to get the worst of the crud off is good enough when time precious. It’s nothing compared to the blast I’d get from SWMBO if I spent hours cleaning my van while leaving her holding a 10-month old!!!!
You know it!!!

Gave mine a wash too. The snow foam is a pile of sh**e, I really don't know why I bother as I have to hand wash it anyway. Anyway, a bit of elbow grease and it looks good. Just loaded it up ready for the trip to Norfolk on Monday (providing my wife's PCR test comes back negative!)

51408900074_93f3268416_c.jpgVan by Nigel G, on Flickr

That’s how it’s supposed to be used, the snow foam is for getting the worst of the grime off before you hand wash, it’s not a standalone solution. :)
But it seems to make no difference, so might as well miss it off and go straight to the hand wash bit. The bumff on the bottle would make you think it was a standalone product though. I wouldn't have minded if it was that dirty to start with.

TBF it could be the brand that I have. I think they have added dirt to the solution!

Reactions: JOG
But it seems to make no difference, so might as well miss it off and go straight to the hand wash bit. The bumff on the bottle would make you think it was a standalone product though. I wouldn't have minded if it was that dirty to start with.

TBF it could be the brand that I have. I think they have added dirt to the solution!
How are you using it, what is your wash method? (What brand?)

I’d it appears to add dirt, does that mean it is lifting more dirt tha. You expected?

I follow the instructions on the product. Spray it on with the Karcher, (tried different strengths using warm water). Leave it for a while. Initially then went to rinse off to see what effect it had and it was absolutely none. It looked just as dirty, so washed as normal using a bucket and shampoo.The next time I used it, I sprayed it on, and then agitated it with my cloth/sponge. Then rinsed with the jet wash. It wasn't perfect by a long way, so had to use the bucket and shampoo again. It leaves terrible drying marks almost immediately (and not because it is roasting hot!). So it seems that I might as well cut out the middle man and go straight to hand wash.

And why do they insist on making them smell of vanilla or bloody cherries, or some god awful synthetic pong!

Perhaps it is me doing it wrong. Until I got the van, I always got the illegal immigrants down the car wash to clean my car, so perhaps I am out of practice! This is a bit big for them!

Try Bilt Hamber. Every time I wash, the suds leave stains on my driveway - so it’s definitely lifting off the dirt in my case.

I follow the instructions on the product. Spray it on with the Karcher, (tried different strengths using warm water). Leave it for a while. Initially then went to rinse off to see what effect it had and it was absolutely none. It looked just as dirty, so washed as normal using a bucket and shampoo.The next time I used it, I sprayed it on, and then agitated it with my cloth/sponge. Then rinsed with the jet wash. It wasn't perfect by a long way, so had to use the bucket and shampoo again. It leaves terrible drying marks almost immediately (and not because it is roasting hot!). So it seems that I might as well cut out the middle man and go straight to hand wash.

And why do they insist on making them smell of vanilla or bloody cherries, or some god awful synthetic pong!

Perhaps it is me doing it wrong. Until I got the van, I always got the illegal immigrants down the car wash to clean my car, so perhaps I am out of practice! This is a bit big for them!
If you mean the Karcher snow foam gun, its rubbish, I had one and got rid of it. Bilt Hamber for me as well.

OK, thank you.

And it appears I have been moved.
Yes (You should have got a notification it had moved) this thread is probably more appropriate
It’s got a fair few other recommendations too. The main one being to fill up your foam bottle with hot water, as that makes a big difference.

Yes it is the Karcher branded one. It appears to do what it is supposed to do, in that it sprays foam at the van. Why did you think it is no good? What's the difference with the one you mentioned?

If you mean the Karcher snow foam gun, its rubbish, I had one and got rid of it. Bilt Hamber for me as well.
Ditto - I thought it’d be great being a Kärcher item, but it’s pants. It doesn’t sud enough, and holds a lot less volume.
The AD gun is good.

Yes (You should have got a notification it had moved) this thread is probably more appropriate
It’s got a fair few other recommendations too. The main one being to fill up your foam bottle with hot water, as that makes a big difference.
I do use hot water too. I'll try another product I guess.

I must admit that I’m not convinced by foam! Just my view!!!

Back