washing and full detailing after spraying

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
long story but I had my sliding door resprayed 4 weeks ago, there seems to be conflicting information on the internet as to when you can wash it and give it a good detailing. I think after a month I should be ok to now snow foam it and wash it , I wanted to fully detail it though, de-contamination, Iron-X it , machine polish it & then wax it etc...but I'm unsure how long I need to leave it ? Are there any paint experts on here who could advise please ? many thanks.

long story but I had my sliding door resprayed 4 weeks ago, there seems to be conflicting information on the internet as to when you can wash it and give it a good detailing. I think after a month I should be ok to now snow foam it and wash it , I wanted to fully detail it though, de-contamination, Iron-X it , machine polish it & then wax it etc...but I'm unsure how long I need to leave it ? Are there any paint experts on here who could advise please ? many thanks.
@Tourershine may be able to offer some advise.

You don't have to wait to do the work you want. Bare in mind that most of what you want to do would of ordinarily been done straight after it came out the spray booth.

I wouldn't of thought it will need a full decontamination if it was only painted 4 weeks ago, unless you've done 100s of miles, but I'd crack on with your list.

The only time it's advised to leave fresh paint is if you're going to wrap it, or apply a clear vinyl etc.

You don't have to wait to do the work you want. Bare in mind that most of what you want to do would of ordinarily been done straight after it came out the spray booth.

I wouldn't of thought it will need a full decontamination if it was only painted 4 weeks ago, unless you've done 100s of miles, but I'd crack on with your list.

The only time it's advised to leave fresh paint is if you're going to wrap it, or apply a clear vinyl etc.
Thanks for the info, its only the sliding door that was resprayed . I fully detailed the van back in may so I wanted to do it now so its ready for winter. Do you think it will be ok to polish / wax the sliding door ? A lot of internet articles mention waiting 10/12 weeks before waxing ?

Thanks for the info, its only the sliding door that was resprayed . I fully detailed the van back in may so I wanted to do it now so its ready for winter. Do you think it will be ok to polish / wax the sliding door ? A lot of internet articles mention waiting 10/12 weeks before waxing ?

I had my full tailgate painted about 4 months ago. I prepped and sealed it the next day with no issues at all.

Back