Any ideas how to get this off?

Bigsidavies

Retired
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
During the road trip round Norway the van got covered in road dirt-drivers side mainly so it’s stuff from the edge of the road.
Not cleaned it because I was waiting for the hose pipe ban to end.
Anyway, tried today and the stuff will not come off. It’s really rough to the touch and is maybe crap mixed with tar as they seem to be constantly resurfacing every road in Norway.
I’ve wet the van, then done it with snow foam in my clean bucket using a deep pile wash mit. Then rinsed. Nothing.
Then had another go with snow foam in the bucket and nothing.
Any ideas for a gentle way to remove it?
Can only think to do the whole van with tar spot remover.CCF37A3A-7472-4307-93B0-5844EC5EEEF6.jpegFC77CA9D-0A77-4806-9A1E-48B98EE04D9C.jpeg

Those pics are after both attempts with the wash mit by the way.

i think you would need to keep hitting it with the jetwash, snow foam and then some citrus prewash. I personally wouldnt be touching it with a cloth, sponge or washmitt until its mostly gone as it will probably scratch. you could spray on tar remover afterwards as well and jet it off again.

Spray some neat TFR on it & then hot water. I’d hit it with the steam cleaner on low temp. 50-60 deg & plenty of TFR.

Last edited:
i think you would need to keep hitting it with the jetwash, snow foam and then some citrus prewash. I personally wouldnt be touching it with a cloth, sponge or washmitt until its mostly gone as it will probably scratch. you could spray on tar remover afterwards as well and jet it off again.
Unfortunately we are on a hosepipe ban, and the van lives on the street so I’d be very visible.

Whatever you use, it will remove whatever protection your paint has, so even if polish to correct swirls isn't required, a good wax or sealant will be essential afterwards.

Whatever you use, it will remove whatever protection your paint has, so even if polish to correct swirls isn't required, a good wax or sealant will be essential afterwards.
I know. Can’t wait to do all that.
I’ve got the chemical guys ceramic polish and ceramic sealant so I’m all good on that front.

Do they mix molasses with their road salt? it looks very black and tarry in the second picture, could be left over from the winter.

After a little visit to clean your car I’ve got the G Technic tar remover.
Always get my stuff from there and they are always helpful.
He came out and had a look at the van and recommended the G Texhniq.
It’s getting it off with a micro fibre cloth in no time at all. And it was the cheapest one at only £8.95
I’d recommend them to anyone for their service and product range.1940DA50-A243-4677-9A47-1EEA8974614E.jpegF9EA0403-3CEC-4D60-B0E8-B46B7823F987.jpeg

Word of warning on that tar and glue remover, after using it don't put microfibre towels through the washing machine, it gets into the the rubbers and will take multiple cycles and washing machine cleaning products to get it out. Its pokey stuff!

Just don’t rub - try and wipe then turn the cloth. Dont reuse the same bit of cloth. I’d use cheapo microfibre cloths from Aldi and bin them afterwards!

Just don’t rub - try and wipe then turn the cloth. Dont reuse the same bit of cloth. I’d use cheapo microfibre cloths from Aldi and bin them afterwards!
I’ve cut a micro fibre drying towel into little squares so I can wipe once turn over, wipe again and then use those bits again under the wheel arches before they hit the bin.
Tbh, it’s not the best paintwork in the world, but no point making it any worse.

Back