A California for real Men...

Excellent review, however each to their own I suppose. I looked at the same vehicle and for me.......I thought it looked ugly as sin and the interior looked like a mobile clinic. Sorry if this sounds negative but I can only speak as I find. I’m feeling happier with my T6 than ever.
Absolutely understand that point of view, would be boring as hell if we all liked the same thing :thumbsup:

Reactions: DPS
Went to the NEC show today, almost entirely to see this monster, and either rule it in or out. I'd hoped Wednesday would be a quiet-ish day and indeed I was able to spend a considerable time inside the 600, poking, prodding and opening things, and talking at length to the enthusiastic and surprisingly knowledgeable VW staff.
Some of the questions I wanted answers to were

1) Is there enough room to fit a bike (or 2) leaned over under the bed when it was in use?

Answer - No. However it would not be a problem fitting 2 bikes in the "corridor" even when both beds in use, but you wouldn't want to travel like that so a bike rack would still be necessary - a big negative for me as it was one of the reasons for moving to a bigger van.

2) Could I fit in the upper child's bed if I wanted to use the van for a solo trip and keep the bike/kayak and other stuff in the back with the bed folded up?

Answer - Yes! This really did surprise me. I had to lie diagonally, and it's a bit clautrophobic with the roof so close, but it would be workable - a big positive for me and goes some way to balancing the previous drawback

3) The biggie - Could I really live with those looks?

Answer - Yes. Yes I could. I'm not pretending it's as handsome as a T6, but I found it a lot better looking in the flesh than in photos and I could live with its lack of looks for the interior, which pretty much answers everything I want from a campervan. I don't care if other people don't like it, I don't buy things to please other people.

Other observations were that the fit and finish inside is better than any campervan I've seen, just amazing and the sort of automotive quality interior that can only come about by mass manufacture of shaped-to-fit panels. It really did feel (almost) worthy of its price. I looked at a couple of other manufacturers take on the Crafter and they just weren't even in the same universe. The cab seats felt bigger, more comfortable and more supportive than the T6 ones. The only niggle I could find with the interior was the aircraft style lockers. Unfortunately, although they look a decent size, all the volume is in the lid. Once you open them, the actual floor area inside is only a few inches deep. You could put soft things in the lid and then close to squash them in, but they have gone for form over function there and they could have made them a lot more useful with a different design. It's not something that would put me off though, after a poptop T6 I'd still end up with as much storage as I'd ever need. The dashboard is a bit utilitarian and is the only bit that still looks cheap and dated due to the low quality plastic used. No comfort dash option here.

Oh one more. I've bemoaned a couple of times that the Crafter redesign was a bit of a copout and kept the same dimensions, meaning that unlike a Sevel, it's not wide enough to sleep transversely. They've tackled this on the GC600 by having indented panels which stick out a few inches on either side and I tried the bed (which was wonderfully comfortable) for size. I could fit, but only just! With my head as far up where the top of the pillow would be, I found I could just touch the opposite end with my feet. Now I'm 5'8", if you're 6 foot plus you would need to sleep a bit diagonally to be comfortable, which is fine if only one of you is that size, but if your partner is also a six footer I'd have a damn good trial in one before handing over my £70k+. It may not even be a problem for everyone either, an ex of mine was nearly six foot, but she always slept with her knees up, whereas I seem to sleep with my toes pointed like a ballet dancer (though without the physique :whistle:)

I didn't go in the 680 as it had a lot more people crawling over it and it wouldn't be a model I'd be interested in anyway.
The T6 Cali was represented on the VW stand by a nice Bamboo Green example, though a bit surprised it wasn't a 6.1.

So a major decision for me now. My options are to keep the T6 and embark on a serious of improvements (justified by the money not being used to get a new van now being available for spending right? :D), the Grand Cali, or the only other van in the running, the Westfalia Amundsen 540 (Ducato) which beats the GC in every practical category, is £15k cheaper and would undoubtedly be what I'd go for if the GC didn't exist. The cost to change to the GC600 for me would be circa £30k so it involves a considerable sacrifice and will take a lot of thinking.
If you've read all this waffle, sorry, but putting all my thoughts down is helping that process.

Be interested to hear if anyone else isn't repulsed by its looks and is also considering one.

My wife will sometimes mention if in the future we should downsize the MH to a T6 Cali, because we've experienced the Cali on a European trip back when it was a T5.1 and the fact one of my daughters no longer comes away with us, and it won't be long before the other daughter isn't interested in our European trips. The GC was never an option, simply because my in-laws had a similar sized Ducato camper, and hated the lack of space, but one cannot help feel that the GC is just a stepping stone between a T6 and a full on Motorhome. There's really no benefit between the GC and a Motorhome on a day to day driving basis from a size prospective, yet the internal space is just so much smaller. For me they are a great tool, but for the money you can get a high end European Motorhome like mine which is as easy to drive, more space, more comfortable, similar residual values, and far more realistic to actually tour in for months at a time.

The T6 camper is a better compromise in my opinion. It can be used the same as the GC but with the obvious benefit of it being a daily driver.

Oh and as for the external aesthetics. It's no more unsightly than it's cheaper rivals, just with the added bonus of the badge. Plus a bit of tweaking here and there, and you'd soon get it looking a lot nicer. After all, the T6 isn't exactly a beauty pageant winner until we've tinkered with it.

For me, I love my T6, and I love my Motorhome. I wouldn't downsize the MH, only potentially change it for a more suitable layout once the teenagers have flown the nest, but buy one smaller? Nah, I like the space.

My wife will sometimes mention if in the future we should downsize the MH to a T6 Cali, because we've experienced the Cali on a European trip back when it was a T5.1 and the fact one of my daughters no longer comes away with us, and it won't be long before the other daughter isn't interested in our European trips. The GC was never an option, simply because my in-laws had a similar sized Ducato camper, and hated the lack of space, but one cannot help feel that the GC is just a stepping stone between a T6 and a full on Motorhome. There's really no benefit between the GC and a Motorhome on a day to day driving basis from a size prospective, yet the internal space is just so much smaller. For me they are a great tool, but for the money you can get a high end European Motorhome like mine which is as easy to drive, more space, more comfortable, similar residual values, and far more realistic to actually tour in for months at a time.

The T6 camper is a better compromise in my opinion. It can be used the same as the GC but with the obvious benefit of it being a daily driver.

Agreed, it's a halfway house, but I don't like how motorhomes look, they're usually too wide for some of the places I go, and 6m is the absolute maximum I'd be prepared to go to.

Also agree with the T6, which is why one of my options is to do nothing as the Westfalia T6 I've had for 2.5yrs is absolutely the perfect T6 for me. The layout and everything work perfectly within the constraints of its size and there would be no point whatsoever changing to another T6, nothing I saw at the show today could replace it. However, I don't need to use my campervan as a daily driver (though being able to get under car park barriers is a huge plus) and I would like something bigger that I could stand up in without popping the roof, that would be quieter to sleep in, that would have a toilet/shower that was enclosed, rather than open as in my T6, which will be necessary as my grandaughter (and now a likely step-grandaughter the same age!) wants more privacy as she gets older. Also being able to have two seperate sleeping areas at opposite ends of the van, and the ability to do a solo trip and sleep at the front while having a huge equipment space at the back. All of these I would also get from the Ducato based Amundsen, which is definitely in the running still.

Agreed, it's a halfway house, but I don't like how motorhomes look, they're usually too wide for some of the places I go, and 6m is the absolute maximum I'd be prepared to go to.

Also agree with the T6, which is why one of my options is to do nothing as the Westfalia T6 I've had for 2.5yrs is absolutely the perfect T6 for me. The layout and everything work perfectly within the constraints of its size and there would be no point whatsoever changing to another T6, nothing I saw at the show today could replace it. However, I don't need to use my campervan as a daily driver (though being able to get under car park barriers is a huge plus) and I would like something bigger that I could stand up in without popping the roof, that would be quieter to sleep in, that would have a toilet/shower that was enclosed, rather than open as in my T6, which will be necessary as my grandaughter (and now a likely step-grandaughter the same age!) wants more privacy as she gets older. Also being able to have two seperate sleeping areas at opposite ends of the van, and the ability to do a solo trip and sleep at the front while having a huge equipment space at the back. All of these I would also get from the Ducato based Amundsen, which is definitely in the running still.

The Holy grail.
A perfect layout that ticks all the boxes within the ideal dimensions and as yet to be designed and manufactured, and quite possibly won't ever be.

I don't envy your search mate. Most of my customers have a compromise in one form or another, it's just finding that sweet spot as you well know.

The Holy grail.
A perfect layout that ticks all the boxes within the ideal dimensions and as yet to be designed and manufactured, and quite possibly won't ever be.

I don't envy your search mate. Most of my customers have a compromise in one form or another, it's just finding that sweet spot as you well know.
The GC would be ideal for me, as would the Amundsen, it’s purely a financial decision now. However I’m now feeling a bit shell shocked after pricing up the GC spec I’d want. Without going nuts, it’s coming to over £81k! You’re looking at just under £72k otr base price, just single colour metallic paint, ACC and that optional child bed come to 5 grand. If you started adding things like self parking, side assist, wheel upgrade etc you could easily get to £85k, and £90k+ is possible, even without leather seats. I had readied myself for £75k but it appears this was unrealistic. Sadly I think that’s a step too far and I think I’m priced out of that.

Edit: and just to be clear, that’s the smallest wheelbase, with the lowest payload, the least powerful engine and 2 wheel drive! Start throwing those into the mix and £100k could be in reach!

Last edited:
The GC would be ideal for me, as would the Amundsen, it’s purely a financial decision now. However I’m now feeling a bit shell shocked after pricing up the GC spec I’d want. Without going nuts, it’s coming to over £81k! You’re looking at just under £72k otr base price, just single colour metallic paint, ACC and that optional child bed come to 5 grand. If you started adding things like self parking, side assist, wheel upgrade etc you could easily get to £85k, and £90k+ is possible, even without leather seats. I had readied myself for £75k but it appears this was unrealistic. Sadly I think that’s a step too far and I think I’m priced out of that.

Edit: and just to be clear, that’s the smallest wheelbase, with the lowest payload, the least powerful engine and 2 wheel drive! Start throwing those into the mix and £100k could be in reach!

Basing on the T6 price once you start adding the goodies you actually want, that isn't a huge surprise.
VWs hold their values amazingly, but I suspect the higher spec GC owners might get a shock after a couple of years ownership.
An amazing camper, but a luxury for those with far more money than common sense with the greatest respect to any owners that might ever read this.

You mean they can manage side assist on this but not a LWB T6? o_O

also once you get a good spec T^ and convert it at one of the better converters your looking at something similar.... if you go leather, vb air etc...

Anyone paying over £80k for a T6 would be absolutely nuts too imho! Mine new in 2017 RRPd at £59k with options, but with discount I paid £53.5k. The same model today retails at around £70k, partly price rise, partly due to me buying just before the euro crash. No way would I pay that for it now.

It is nicely finished AND is supplied with a LADDER to access he beds :cool::cool::cool:

That’s a lottery win vehicle, get some 20’s on there, Bilstein suspension, ABT kit etc.

I’d love one, ironic that my van cost me not far south of that windscreen price anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm still very tempted by one of these, though I couldn't bring myself to stump up the ludicrous cost for the two tone option, though that is exactly the exterior I'd go for. Just have to see whether the ongoing dramatic recovery in post lockdown finances continues.

In the stark reality of day it’s very much a very large and clunky German functional vehicle. There’s no beauty or character to it In my eyes. It does what it states on the label.
It’s more motor home than a versatile Love affair.

In the stark reality of day it’s very much a very large and clunky German functional vehicle. There’s no beauty or character to it In my eyes. It does what it states on the label.
It’s more motor home than a versatile Love affair.
To be honest that's why I like it, I'm a function over form guy and a long look round it at the launch last year convinced me that it's the best VW to suit my particular needs.

To be honest that's why I like it, I'm a function over form guy and a long look round it at the launch last year convinced me that it's the best VW to suit my particular needs.
That’s the interesting aspect to it @andys .. I fell in love with it due to it’s total functionality but all my go to soul mates voted NO........

Back