A California for real Men...

Saw this German plate beast at the last campsite; clearly brand new.

21082857_10154771565752805_5054930468382905469_o.jpg
Initial thoughts were "wow!" closely followed by "how the hell did that get here?" (narrow bridge access) then "actually that's borderline offensive" especially when it woke the entire campsite at it left.

Also why stay on a campsite, with electric hook up? Surely you should be driving directly up mountains/across the Arctic?!
And how about light; it has hardly any windows!

It looks like a big mobile laboratory in the video.
While a T6 California is hardly the height of cosyness, it looks like an alpine cottage with a log fire, free mulled wine, an oak sleigh bed and tog 25 duvet compared to that XXL.

Still looking forward to seeing it especially if it has 4wd and proper power but I think I'd be in constant fear of having cosmetic products tested on me in that van.

The side profile is similar to that of a de-mountable camper you stick on a of a double cab 4*4 pickup. It's certainly interesting, and I can start to see why the designers have settled on this solution; but as an activities life style camper/motorhome; where do you stick your toys........ VW must have an answer

I think the saying "trying to make Silk Purse out of a sows ear" comes to mind with the XXL trouble is it still looks like a sows ear gone wrong

I'm sort of changing my opinion a bit now. I was viewing it as an attempt at a large campervan and comparing it with other van conversion, against which it looks none too handsome, but having seen the side and rear views it isn't a campervan at all, it's a full on "cab being humped by caravan" motorhome and if you compare it with those it's not that awful. Still not for me though :unsure:

It's ugly.
Some larger camper vans look okay - such as the globescout and some other Ducato van conversions.

A good layman's look at it here (last 5 minutes)

Bit of a reverse tardis, massive on the outside but surprisingly cramped inside. Some nice design touches inside though and 2 double beds. Still ugly

A good layman's look at it here (last 5 minutes)

Bit of a reverse tardis, massive on the outside but surprisingly cramped inside. Some nice design touches inside though and 2 double beds. Still ugly

Yeah that's what I thought when I watched a couple of other videos - massive on the outside, but cramped as hell inside, can barely even sit down in comfort.
And what's with the side window that swings out and up? Perhaps VW have given up with trying to make a slider that doesn't leak!
The lower part of the tailgate opens to reveal absolutely no storage space whatsoever - how can such a big van have so little room?
And once I saw the back of it it was game over so far as I'm concerned, which is a shame as I was quite excited about it to start with.

Well, it's different, but that's about all it is for me. The beauty of a T6 camper or Cali is that it's a great practical camper disguised in a pretty stylish van. This XXL looks like the stylish van has got lost inside an arty farty concept motor home that is cramped, and I suspect, very impractical. It also has little appeal as an everyday vehicle. Can't see it winning any beauty contests.

Perfect vehicle for those that have always wanted to use their draining board as the foot of the bed. Sorry Volkswagen I shall not be investing.

They're saying now that it won't be going on sale, but that they're gauging which bits of it people do and don't like. Sound like they will come back next time with a more serious contender. The bits I liked were the projector and the the gas burners that rose out from the worktop in use and remained flush otherwise, giving more worktop space and easier cleaning. The bits I didn't like were - everything else. Saying that, I'll go against opinion and say I'm not appalled by the colour, in fact I think a two tone oryx white over mojave beige (I know this one is brown) T6 would look quite classy

Back