A California for real Men...

I like it, the rear end is ugly and overall slightly impractical and I would never buy one but I think it's really smart and as a show piece/concept with some new ideas I think it's really cool

Its just a concept, if they get enough interest, id expect the body work to be toned down.

I don't mind the concept, it would be great to see a XXL California to go with the smaller California

They’ve hit the back with the ugly stick a bit less but it’s still a hideous pig in a wig. Maybe they could paint the toupe yellow and angle the grille up a bit more in honour of Trump’s visit
Shhhhh, that’s top secret, no one knows about that.

Just so so ugly, it will sell though........ I rode Harleys for years then it started getting this sort of life addition click and this is just the tool for those sort of people, must have one but I’m not a real camper but like to look like one so will buy one and stick it on my drive.

I thought that the external design could have been a lot smarter than it is, bike rack ?

I past one on Sunday and it looked better in a single colour, but just couldn’t have one.

I past one on Sunday and it looked better in a single colour, but just couldn’t have one.
I know what you mean, any time I see pics of the inside I start to think I wouldn’t mind one. Then I see the outside. No. Just no...

Not spam, just thought it was a good idea, campervan layout with the rock n roll bed, poptop so it doesn't look ugly, but with the 4 berth option, 2 berth is pointless, more space than a T6, be nice to see a crafter option from VW.

Decently detailed review of an actual production model in English here
though as you'l see from the intro, it's not exactly an unbiased review

Great review :thumbsup:

My thoughts on watching it;

It's funny how colour schemes can be vehicle dependant - white/red 2 tone looks great on a Transporter but looks awful on that Crafter.

Looks like comfort closing of the side door is going to be an essential box to tick. Bit crap that it isn't standard.

The Crafter seats look vastly better than the Transporter's. Also way easier to swivel.

There are a fair amount of fittings and materials that are exactly the same as mine, which makes me wonder if this isn't an all in-house VW build at all, and that Westfalia may have had a significant hand in bringing this to market...

Flat bottomed wheel. Standard?

If that skylight above the kids bed opens fully it would make a great place to stand or sit on the edge of for viewing events. Or even just sunsets.

The length of the transverse bed is a bit tight. It's a shame VW didn't take the opportunity when splitting from Mercedes to make the Crafter a smidgeon wider, closer to the Ducato, which would have eased that. The lengthways bed in the 680 solves that problem, but then you lose the kids' bed. The narrowness is what makes the Crafter’s proportions look so awkward.

It's a shame the kids bed isn't just a few inches longer. It would be great if I was doing a solo trip to leave the back bed folded up (or taken out) and use the space for mountain bike, inflatable kayak etc while I slept up front.

Table storage is awful! Did they forget until the work experience kid pointed it out as it was on its way to the launch?

I really, really, really hate the exterior looks... and yet... I feel an awful pull of inevitability that I'm going to end up getting one...
Though a likely price of around £75k with extras would take a lot of thinking about, there are some seriously good vehicles (not just campers) that can be had for that price.

Last edited:
I had a further thought overnight. My Westfalia has a two-seater bench the same size and in the same position as that, but it’s actually a pretty comfortable RIB bed that folds forward and over a rotated passenger seat. It’s big enough for two kids or one adult and it’s also longer, I’ve slept on it with plenty of stretching space.
I can’t help thinking a 600 with this bed system, which could then do without the Trump toupė, would have been a vastly better looking van, effectively just a smaller 680 (they could have put this front bed in that model too).

Went to the NEC show today, almost entirely to see this monster, and either rule it in or out. I'd hoped Wednesday would be a quiet-ish day and indeed I was able to spend a considerable time inside the 600, poking, prodding and opening things, and talking at length to the enthusiastic and surprisingly knowledgeable VW staff.
Some of the questions I wanted answers to were

1) Is there enough room to fit a bike (or 2) leaned over under the bed when it was in use?

Answer - No. However it would not be a problem fitting 2 bikes in the "corridor" even when both beds in use, but you wouldn't want to travel like that so a bike rack would still be necessary - a big negative for me as it was one of the reasons for moving to a bigger van.

2) Could I fit in the upper child's bed if I wanted to use the van for a solo trip and keep the bike/kayak and other stuff in the back with the bed folded up?

Answer - Yes! This really did surprise me. I had to lie diagonally, and it's a bit clautrophobic with the roof so close, but it would be workable - a big positive for me and goes some way to balancing the previous drawback

3) The biggie - Could I really live with those looks?

Answer - Yes. Yes I could. I'm not pretending it's as handsome as a T6, but I found it a lot better looking in the flesh than in photos and I could live with its lack of looks for the interior, which pretty much answers everything I want from a campervan. I don't care if other people don't like it, I don't buy things to please other people.

Other observations were that the fit and finish inside is better than any campervan I've seen, just amazing and the sort of automotive quality interior that can only come about by mass manufacture of shaped-to-fit panels. It really did feel (almost) worthy of its price. I looked at a couple of other manufacturers take on the Crafter and they just weren't even in the same universe. The cab seats felt bigger, more comfortable and more supportive than the T6 ones. The only niggle I could find with the interior was the aircraft style lockers. Unfortunately, although they look a decent size, all the volume is in the lid. Once you open them, the actual floor area inside is only a few inches deep. You could put soft things in the lid and then close to squash them in, but they have gone for form over function there and they could have made them a lot more useful with a different design. It's not something that would put me off though, after a poptop T6 I'd still end up with as much storage as I'd ever need. The dashboard is a bit utilitarian and is the only bit that still looks cheap and dated due to the low quality plastic used. No comfort dash option here.

Oh one more. I've bemoaned a couple of times that the Crafter redesign was a bit of a copout and kept the same dimensions, meaning that unlike a Sevel, it's not wide enough to sleep transversely. They've tackled this on the GC600 by having indented panels which stick out a few inches on either side and I tried the bed (which was wonderfully comfortable) for size. I could fit, but only just! With my head as far up where the top of the pillow would be, I found I could just touch the opposite end with my feet. Now I'm 5'8", if you're 6 foot plus you would need to sleep a bit diagonally to be comfortable, which is fine if only one of you is that size, but if your partner is also a six footer I'd have a damn good trial in one before handing over my £70k+. It may not even be a problem for everyone either, an ex of mine was nearly six foot, but she always slept with her knees up, whereas I seem to sleep with my toes pointed like a ballet dancer (though without the physique :whistle:)

I didn't go in the 680 as it had a lot more people crawling over it and it wouldn't be a model I'd be interested in anyway.
The T6 Cali was represented on the VW stand by a nice Bamboo Green example, though a bit surprised it wasn't a 6.1.

So a major decision for me now. My options are to keep the T6 and embark on a series of improvements (justified by the money not being used to get a new van now being available for spending right? :D), the Grand Cali, or the only other van in the running, the Westfalia Amundsen 540 (Ducato) which beats the GC in every practical category, is £15k cheaper and would undoubtedly be what I'd go for if the GC didn't exist. The cost to change to the GC600 for me would be circa £30k so it involves a considerable sacrifice and will take a lot of thinking.
If you've read all this waffle, sorry, but putting all my thoughts down is helping that process.

Be interested to hear if anyone else isn't repulsed by its looks and is also considering one.

Last edited:
Went to the NEC show today, almost entirely to see this monster, and either rule it in or out. I'd hoped Wednesday would be a quiet-ish day and indeed I was able to spend a considerable time inside the 600, poking, prodding and opening things, and talking at length to the enthusiastic and surprisingly knowledgeable VW staff.
Some of the questions I wanted answers to were

1) Is there enough room to fit a bike (or 2) leaned over under the bed when it was in use?

Answer - No. However it would not be a problem fitting 2 bikes in the "corridor" even when both beds in use, but you wouldn't want to travel like that so a bike rack would still be necessary - a big negative for me as it was one of the reasons for moving to a bigger van.

2) Could I fit in the upper child's bed if I wanted to use the van for a solo trip and keep the bike/kayak and other stuff in the back with the bed folded up?

Answer - Yes! This really did surprise me. I had to lie diagonally, and it's a bit clautrophobic with the roof so close, but it would be workable - a big positive for me and goes some way to balancing the previous drawback

3) The biggie - Could I really live with those looks?

Answer - Yes. Yes I could. I'm not pretending it's as handsome as a T6, but I found it a lot better looking in the flesh than in photos and I could live with its lack of looks for the interior, which pretty much answers everything I want from a campervan. I don't care if other people don't like it, I don't buy things to please other people.

Other observations were that the fit and finish inside is better than any campervan I've seen, just amazing and the sort of automotive quality interior that can only come about by mass manufacture of shaped-to-fit panels. It really did feel (almost) worthy of its price. I looked at a couple of other manufacturers take on the Crafter and they just weren't even in the same universe. The cab seats felt bigger, more comfortable and more supportive than the T6 ones. The only niggle I could find with the interior was the aircraft style lockers. Unfortunately, although they look a decent size, all the volume is in the lid. Once you open them, the actual floor area inside is only a few inches deep. You could put soft things in the lid and then close to squash them in, but they have gone for form over function there and they could have made them a lot more useful with a different design. It's not something that would put me off though, after a poptop T6 I'd still end up with as much storage as I'd ever need. The dashboard is a bit utilitarian and is the only bit that still looks cheap and dated due to the low quality plastic used. No comfort dash option here.

Oh one more. I've bemoaned a couple of times that the Crafter redesign was a bit of a copout and kept the same dimensions, meaning that unlike a Sevel, it's not wide enough to sleep transversely. They've tackled this on the GC600 by having indented panels which stick out a few inches on either side and I tried the bed (which was wonderfully comfortable) for size. I could fit, but only just! With my head as far up where the top of the pillow would be, I found I could just touch the opposite end with my feet. Now I'm 5'8", if you're 6 foot plus you would need to sleep a bit diagonally to be comfortable, which is fine if only one of you is that size, but if your partner is also a six footer I'd have a damn good trial in one before handing over my £70k+. It may not even be a problem for everyone either, an ex of mine was nearly six foot, but she always slept with her knees up, whereas I seem to sleep with my toes pointed like a ballet dancer (though without the physique :whistle:)

I didn't go in the 680 as it had a lot more people crawling over it and it wouldn't be a model I'd be interested in anyway.
The T6 Cali was represented on the VW stand by a nice Bamboo Green example, though a bit surprised it wasn't a 6.1.

So a major decision for me now. My options are to keep the T6 and embark on a serious of improvements (justified by the money not being used to get a new van now being available for spending right? :D), the Grand Cali, or the only other van in the running, the Westfalia Amundsen 540 (Ducato) which beats the GC in every practical category, is £15k cheaper and would undoubtedly be what I'd go for if the GC didn't exist. The cost to change to the GC600 for me would be circa £30k so it involves a considerable sacrifice and will take a lot of thinking.
If you've read all this waffle, sorry, but putting all my thoughts down is helping that process.

Be interested to hear if anyone else isn't repulsed by its looks and is also considering one.
Excellent review, however each to their own I suppose. I looked at the same vehicle and for me.......I thought it looked ugly as sin and the interior looked like a mobile clinic. Sorry if this sounds negative but I can only speak as I find. I’m feeling happier with my T6 than ever.

Back