A California for real Men...

Discussion in 'California Corner' started by chriscroft, 17 Aug 2017.

1. chriscroft

chriscroft 14 years of VW T 'ing VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    VW-California-XXL-Concept-2-1280x720.jpg
    Not sure if the Crafter California XXL is just a concept at this moment, and the styling maybe a bit of an acquired taste; But it looks like VW do have plans for the new Crafter

Seán Kerr and Jonny like this.
  2. former member

former member Senior Member

Seen a few new Crafters; they do look like a great base vehicle for "hybrid" motorhomes especially if they do a 4x4 one.
    However real men don't need a bog, a poncy bathroom or a Trump style hairdo on the top of their vans. :D

3. chriscroft

Map
    There is defiantly a bit of a "Donald" on top

former member likes this.
  4. Oldrat

Oldrat Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Me likey. :cool:

More info here

LINKY

5. chriscroft

Map
    Looks like it may be confirmed as a "go-er" in the next couple of weeks or so.
    We will have to see, but the VW badge will go down well in a predominately Fiat Ducato market place.:)

6. former member

I've been observing motorhomes here; they are much more popular than they are in the U.K; as you say most are Fiat Ducato based, 130bhp and FWD with 15" wheels; while I'm no fan of silly sized wheels, you need a certain size to have proper brakes; these vast motorhomes are wheezing up and down hills with no power or brakes; frightening. Even posh Hymers are often Fiat based.
    I'm no brand slave but if my £80k++ motorhome was based on a low rent Italian van, I'd be cross.

My favourite "next size up" vans are the proper 4x4 Sprinter conversions; but they are at least £70k and 2 berth. Also bigger vans have naff all natural light; tiny windows and just a little access door; so you pay a LOT more for a lot of sacrifices and they'd be a PITA on little rural roads.

Space is definitely tight in a T6 Cali but it whizzes around like a car, can be parked like a big car, gives okay mpg and you can access spots a motorhome would never be able to go.

rod_vw likes this.
  7. chriscroft

Map
    Traditionally Mainland Europe has always been bigger into motorhomes/campers than the UK which has mostly favoured caravans; but it seems times are a changing and the UK is starting to buy more motorhomes. £80k for a hymer motorhome but it can be £40k+ for a single axel hymer caravan. I guess a medium wheel base Crafter AWD would offer good flexibility v's manoeuvrability; a bit tight in those medival Spanish/Italian towns; but nothing stops the white van delivery man in his Merc Sprinter LWB.

8. Veema

Veema Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    Might look better in a colour other than dogshit brown...

9. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    VW Blimper.

10. DaveyB

DaveyB Funds just don’t support the desires!!! Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Reckon he must be compensating for something.:whistle:

11. former member

Even the "owners" won't look at it...:D

Jo B H likes this.
  12. Tony&Dawn

Tony&Dawn Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Well you wouldn't bang your head in that!

13. DaveyB

DaveyB Funds just don’t support the desires!!! Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    With regard to that rather developed forehead it reminds me of the episode in Red Dwarf where Lister has Space Mumps.
    IMG_0672.JPG

Richard Wood, Stewby, andys and 2 others like this.
  14. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

There's a make of motor home that fits roof like that already, Autoline or something like that. This doesn't appeal to me, if it doesn't fit the 5m x 2m footprint of the transporter then it's a motor home and I don't think the Crafter/Sprinter would be for me (yes I know they're not the same van anymore but the VW just looks like a facelift) they're just too narrow and tall. Sad to say, but the Ducato might be a pig to drive but its proportions are right for a motorhome

15. andys

IMG_0125.PNG This. Equally ugly

16. chriscroft

Map
    It's a strange thing to look at. Not sure I fully understand it. Most Crafters/Sprinters have plenty of head room to stand up in. But motorhomes have raised floors so that the insulation/secondly floor/services can all be rooted. Having said that, I've never seen a Fiat Ducato based Camper looking quite as strange.
    9710_16_sven_hedin-used-750.jpg
    WestFalia seem to have a better looking solution to a Crafter Camper

17. chriscroft

Map
    Is it to do with keeping the cab floor level with the habitation area floor?, as well as insulation/service routing/ level showers; level toilets etc etc

18. andys

Think the issue is that the Sprafter isn't wide enough for a transverse bed so they've raised the roof to put one up top

chriscroft likes this.
  19. chriscroft

Map
    Well Spotted, that makes sence; and a new word for the oxford english dictionary "SPrafter": a unholy alliance from a collaboration forged in hell (or Wolfsburg/Stuttgart), and where proper rust proofing was completely dispensed with, ;)

andys likes this.
  20. superflyguy

superflyguy Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Oh God, now your going to upset Team Brown, fight fight !!