204PS MPG real values

Radorik

I'm looking at getting the 204ps 4motion DSG kombi in the next couple of weeks (offer from JCB, cost to them +£1).

I wanted the DSG and 4motion, which leads to the only engine choice being the 204ps.

Anyone had the 204ps for a while, ideally the 4motion dsg but asking a lot for real average MPGs? Been searching and found a handful of figures but needing reassurance I'm not making a big mistake....

There is a post in the forum. I think it was 25 -28 mpg. I dare say some will get a tad more. What a fab deal your getting that will compensate offset for slightly thirsty mpg.

I have the 180 deg 4motion, I average 30mpg (28.9 today on a 200 mile round trip at speed). I however am always carrying a large amount of tools/materials so not to bad. I would guess anyone that doesn't carry too much and drive quite hard would achieve high 30's with ease. What sort of figures were you hopping for?

I have a 140ps 2014 T5 at the moment and get 38mpg average. Been used to around that with this and the previous 102ps 2011 I had. I was probably very optimistically hoping mid 30's as the 4motion is part time and off-boost would be similar across all the 2.0 engines. I would have a 150ps 4motion DSG given the choice, but its not an option.

It sounds like a few 150 owners aren't getting very good mpg so not sure it's a great economical option.

Ours, a California Ocean, (so 2650kgs) is manual but 204 and 4motion; 3800 on the clock, mostly rural/hilly driving and we're getting about 30mpg; way better than our 180 4motion T5.1 California.

From limited experience, DSGs seem a bit thirstier.

Even towing my caravan to work I can get 28/30mpg and I don't hang about and always have a lot of weight in the van. Mine has now done 26k by the way.

Is everyone calculating their own figures based off full tanks or what the computer says?

All I can say is ignore what the computer says. It's about 4mpg too high from actual real world calculations.

2600 miles in on my 150ps manual. Still 28mpg, no improvement. Latest tank is v-power so will see any difference.

In hindsight I wished I was able to change my order to the 204ps manual.

Last edited:
In my case the computer is almost 2 mpg lower than i'm achieving :thumbsup:

Van is loaded with a minimum of 400kg racking, spares, tools etc at all times, going up to the max on the odd occasion and anywhere else in between the rest.
204 DSG, but only 2wd 34mpg, only 1700miles on the clock, mostly done on ACC

If i just drive round town then 26-28mpg is the indicated mpg, as i never do this for a full tank i've no real data to compare.

I was interested in the 4Motion, but decided against it, as all my previous 4wd auto cars, have been terrible on fuel compared to their 2wd alternatives by 3-4mpg, over 20k a year that is quite a difference in fuel cost for no real gain 99% of the time, but i guess the 4motion could be different as i don't believe its permanent 4wd.

It's Haldex so varies the torque split from 10:90 RWD/FWD (it used to be 0:100) to 50:50.
So it is more efficient but I do still prefer the "proper" 4wd system I have in my Subaru.
I got 4motion partly because I don't like FWD.

204ps dsg 4motion Caravelle 7k on clock getting 35mpg mostly with 4 adults 3 dogs and walking gear.

So far;

Best on a run just me driving at 65-70 down the A1 was 42mpg,

Worst local driving 29mpg.

Mixed local driving I'd say averages 32-33mpg.

Very happy with that over my T25.....

Cheers for all the replies, over 30 sound fairly safe then which isn't so bad. Maybe get my mid 30's on a 60-70mph motorway run, don't usually race to work but around 25k a year.

Do a lot of driving down country lanes and future snow / ice trips so 4motion would pay for me, DSG a nice to have when stuck in traffic.

Off topic but just been reading the Kombi speed limit posts first to last, thought I would be able to do normal speed limit, not anymore...

Cheers for all the replies, over 30 sound fairly safe then which isn't so bad. Maybe get my mid 30's on a 60-70mph motorway run, don't usually race to work but around 25k a year.

Do a lot of driving down country lanes and future snow / ice trips so 4motion would pay for me, DSG a nice to have when stuck in traffic.

Off topic but just been reading the Kombi speed limit posts first to last, thought I would be able to do normal speed limit, not anymore...
50/60/70 it is for you then!

The key is staying under 70mph. Sounds obvious but recently did a trip to southern Spain in my 204(non 4motion non dsg) and as the speed limit increased the mpg dropped like a stone. just 10mph more and it dropped to 32mpg whereas I would average an indicated 37/38 when sitting at 70.

Reactions: CRD
The key is staying under 70mph. Sounds obvious but recently did a trip to southern Spain in my 204(non 4motion non dsg) and as the speed limit increased the mpg dropped like a stone. just 10mph more and it dropped to 32mpg whereas I would average an indicated 37/38 when sitting at 70.
I agree, 70mph and above and the mpg drops quite significantly.
I would have thought in normal driving when you are not using all those 204 horses, that the mpg between the 150 and 204 would have been similar as it is the same engine after all.
Another thing to consider is that the mpg improves continually as the engine 'loosens' with age. My 150 Kombi on 10,000 miles now averages 40mpg+ without trying too hard, so with the addition of dsg and 4 motion, I would have thought that 35mpg would have been a realistic target?

I was over 3 digits at stages yesterday hence the 28.9 indicated! at reasonable speeds I think they are quite good for a large vehicle.

Hi Radorik. I have the exact vehicle you're asking about 204 DSG 4Motion. I don't believe any of us will be able to give an answer on MPG as it varies massively with driving style or more to the point I believe the roads you drive on.

Mine has 1000 miles on now and my overall average (trip computer and full tank system hardly any difference) is around 27mpg, this is with Continental 255 tyres not the original low rolling resistance tyre fitted from factory. But I did have one day when I got 34. My driving can be made up from lots of short trips, country lanes and B roads, which is the worst as its all accelerating and braking , and in the current weather with the extra heating and electrics on plus I have the auxiliary heater (highly recommend) these all hit the mpg big time. Example first trip this morning 6 miles 20mpg, this evened out through the day to around 27mpg and my final trip home which was out from the city in light traffic then open roads returned about 32mpg

Either way its not an economical vehicle but it is a great one. The extra grip is fantastic and if you can be happy expecting 30mpg as an annual average with sensible driving then you won't be disappointed. You will probably get better if your trips and of a descent length and keep it legal, 60 gives you much better then 70 to the tune of about 7-8mpg.

I had the 180 FWD DSG before and was getting about 28.5 mpg. Waited for the euro6 engine in the hope that it would offset the 4Motion and I think I got it right as they look as though they will be about the same especially when the new one loosens up a little.

Go for the 4Motion, but get the upgrade for the fuel tank as the range is not great and I wish I had got it. Also as I said I am loving the auxiliary heater, my T5 was very slow warming up but this one is great.

Last edited:
I do find that in my van 65-67 gives me best mpg on a run if I drop to 60 I'm using too much throttle to catch up.

Anticipating hills and careful throttle management really does pay off, like @Smarty says, braking and accelerating really knock mph.

Also turn on the freewheel feature, it adds 2-3 mpg, avoid cruise control as this turns it off.

Finally, every now and again, with all the fuel you've saved, find a nice B road, put it in sport mode and gave a blast, its so much fun!

The 204 is a bi-turbo I take it? I wonder at what speed the second turbo comes in on say a motorway trip. My old twin turbo Volvo V70 will easily get 55+ mpg cruising at 70 ish but at 75 and above the economy would plummet as the second turbo comes in.

Yep 70 is definitely an mpg "wall" - we did a lot of 81mph (130km/h I have think) abroad and the mpg took a nose dive.
Still far better than our 180 though.

In fact for a 2.7 tonne lump the shape of a brick it's amazing; by far the quick camper/motorhome you can buy too, especially once it's rolling.

Is everyone calculating their own figures based off full tanks or what the computer says?

All I can say is ignore what the computer says. It's about 4mpg too high from actual real world calculations.

2600 miles in on my 150ps manual. Still 28mpg, no improvement. Latest tank is v-power so will see any difference.

In hindsight I wished I was able to change my order to the 204ps manual.

Back